Gareth Bale could offer Arsenal unlikely lifeline in Martin Odegaard transfer pursuit (msn.com)

I know it's a trash site however it seems that:

a) They'd prefer Odegaard anyway

b) They couldn't afford Emi Buendia due to a lovely little COVID shaped £47.8m black hole.

Only thing we have to be worried about in my opinion is a Spanish club, however I can't see anyone being willing to splash £35m+ on a player with one half decent top flight season behind him in this current climate.

I think Emi will still be a Norwich player at the end of next season.

Arsenal fans are just constantly pining for new signings. Buendia doesn't seem flavour of the month with their fans currently, but they're a pretty desperate fanbase at times.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Oh. This again. They can't afford him

Sour grapes? Seems like Capt Holto got the scoop on this tidbit 😇

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Oh. This again. They can't afford him

You know what, i see the seeds of another thread on the horizon about Buendia possibly leaving this summer.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sour grapes? Seems like Capt Holto got the scoop on this tidbit 😇

Not a fan of the high road? This petty sniping on the forum is making the atmosphere toxic.

• Confused 1

Players like Cantwell and Aarons would be silly to move ahead of a guaranteed season of first team Premier League football, but Buendia is a slightly different position being a bit older and probably more well rounded as a premier league product. I still think it would be better for him to stay with us for a season and see what happens, if we go down again I have no qualms about him leaving but if we stay up and we're playing well it would do his stock no harm to stay with us. I can see a lot of teams being interested in him, but will they guarantee him first team football? He didn't set the league alight last time around, and they may want to see what he does this time before coughing up the cash.

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

He didn't set the league alight last time around, and they may want to see what he does this time before coughing up the cash.

The general view amongst the big clubs appears to be that he isn't worth the fee. Good for us, because if the deal could be made he would be off like a shot (as would Cantwell and Aarons). Fair play to them too, the move would probably come with the best contract of their careers.

27 minutes ago, AJ said:

Players like Cantwell and Aarons would be silly to move ahead of a guaranteed season of first team Premier League football, but Buendia is a slightly different position being a bit older and probably more well rounded as a premier league product. I still think it would be better for him to stay with us for a season and see what happens, if we go down again I have no qualms about him leaving but if we stay up and we're playing well it would do his stock no harm to stay with us. I can see a lot of teams being interested in him, but will they guarantee him first team football? He didn't set the league alight last time around, and they may want to see what he does this time before coughing up the cash.

I think Buendia probably knows he's outgrown Norwich and wants to test himself playing for a better club. Its fair to say that he's correct. Would be nice to keep him for another season.

56 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

...outgrown Norwich and wants to test himself playing for a better club.

There is no better club.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

You know what, i see the seeds of another thread on the horizon about Buendia possibly leaving this summer.

Surely not 😮 Who would do such a thing ?

Edited by C.I.D

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Not a fan of the high road? This petty sniping on the forum is making the atmosphere toxic.

Toxic? Ha feckin ha. Do keep up, Cambridgeo  has no probs with  a  bit of a tickle , in fact we had a laugh just last night about posts hitting the pinkun at the same time. In short, mind  your  own  if other people having the craic offends you. I dont think Cambridgeo  would use a snowflake defence....he has a sense of humour. If he complained  like a beatch every time he had his leg pulled , fair enough , but hes well able to stand  up  for  himself  despite being nearly 10 .😇

Edited by wcorkcanary

He’s also just had a second child, and seems pretty settled here. Hopefully he’ll be happy enough to give the Prem one more shot with us, see where we’re at at the end of next season and then reassess.. 

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Arsenal fans are just constantly pining for new signings. Buendia doesn't seem flavour of the month with their fans currently, but they're a pretty desperate fanbase at times.

100%. It's not just Arsenal fans but as soon as a club is linked to a player, fans seem to go into fantasy football mode and expect everything to fall perfectly into place. The bigger the club, the more arrogant they act. Norwich 'denying' Jamal Lewis the privilege of signing for Liverpool (for peanuts) springs to mind. 

I just think its reeks of desperation when half of the fan base start pleading with players on instagram to sign. It was just crawling with Arsenal fans on Buendias page not long ago. The turkish fans are the worst with spamming players.

Edited by jaberry2

17 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

£30,000 or £80,000 per week that might be the decision 

I can't see a club willing to pay close to 40m for Emi AND offer him anywhere near 80k a week. That's over 4m a year. Not happening in COVID times. Any club signing him for that money is gambling.

2 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

I can't see a club willing to pay close to 40m for Emi AND offer him anywhere near 80k a week. That's over 4m a year. Not happening in COVID times. Any club signing him for that money is gambling.

True, that is why he is unlikely to be going anywhere. The only option he has is to run his contract down if he really wants to leave.

13 minutes ago, BigFish said:

True, that is why he is unlikely to be going anywhere. The only option he has is to run his contract down if he really wants to leave.

His best option is to perform brilliantly for us in the Premier League - then there will be a queue of clubs willing to make him and us an offer that can't be refused. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

His best option is to perform brilliantly for us in the Premier League - then there will be a queue of clubs willing to make him and us an offer that can't be refused. 

Exactly, one good season with us and it's then the next bracket of teams looking at him, with a bigger fee and a more lucrative contract. Through my yellow and green tinted glasses, it's a no brainer for all parties.

29 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Exactly, one good season with us and it's then the next bracket of teams looking at him, with a bigger fee and a more lucrative contract. Through my yellow and green tinted glasses, it's a no brainer for all parties.

Or one bad season and nobody wants him and his stock drops, possibly permanently. I don't want him to leave, he's excellent but I can understand why he would want to move when his stock is high.

No idea but maybe new contract for pl to keep him happy, also applies to Todd

The main reasons for a player wanting to leave a club like Norwich for lusher pastures are:

1. More money.

2. More chance of winning a trophy.

3. European football.

4. A bigger profile and more of a chance to represent one's country.

In reality, we cannot compete with any of these, but we can at least try to increase the financial insentive, up to a point. We can emphasise the importance of security both with having first team football assured and perhaps even those concerning settlement and family matters and the 'Norfolk air,' and dare I even mention loyalty? These things apart, the actual contractual obligation is our only ace card.

It's up to the player to decide upon the advantages/disadvantages and for NCFC to make the most of our ace card.

Without knowing the man, he will likely go the way of all flesh and seek those lusher pastures.

Its age-old, from Ron Davies through to James Madisson. We can discuss it ad nauseam. It is meaningless in the end. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

I can't see a club willing to pay £40M for a player and *not* be willing to pay them £80k per week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

and dare I even mention loyalty?

I have a bit of a disagreement with the old loyalty card; when people say a player is not loyal when they leave (I am not saying you are). Loyalty works both ways. If we got a player better than him, we'd play them more, if he can get a team that he deems better than us, why should he stay?

• Like 1

Just now, All the Germans said:

I have a bit of a disagreement with the old loyalty card; when people say a player is not loyal when they leave (I am not saying you are). Loyalty works both ways. If we got a player better than him, we'd play them more, if he can get a team that he deems better than us, why should he stay?

Fans are loyal. Professional football isn't, it is a dog eat dog world.

7 hours ago, BigFish said:

The general view amongst the big clubs appears to be that he isn't worth the fee. Good for us, because if the deal could be made he would be off like a shot (as would Cantwell and Aarons). Fair play to them too, the move would probably come with the best contract of their careers.

He isn't worth the fee we are asking for. Which I'm very pleased about because he'll still be with us.

Unless of course someone offers him £100k a week and he throws his toys out of his pram to get his fee reduced......

• Like 1