Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Cantwell replaces Greenwood in Engand under 21's

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hmmm - good for him, less so for NCFC

Indeed, more chance of Injury. However I'm not really aware of what stage he is in the pecking order so can't really say what the chances of him playing much are.

moP1q8CN?format=jpg&name=small

Great for Todd, deserves it after his good turnaround in recent form

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good for him, but U21s?  Thought he was 23......

It is his age when the current competition starts which matters.  Does seem mad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good for him, but U21s?  Thought he was 23......

Is all about a weird cut off date rather than your actual date of birth

Yeah but imagine playing in some or even all the qualifiers and helping your team qualify for a major tournament, then not being able to go to that tournament as you've just had a birthday.

I can only see Cantwell being used as backup, as he wasn’t originally selected for the squad 

Edited by HazzaJet

3 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Yeah but imagine playing in some or even all the qualifiers and helping your team qualify for a major tournament, then not being able to go to that tournament as you've just had a birthday.

pretty sure he gets to be eligible until the tournament is over right?

13 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

pretty sure he gets to be eligible until the tournament is over right?

Yep! I think that's Gibbo's point. It would be incongruous to allow players to play games earlier in the tournament then rule them out later on if they had a subsequent birthday.

• Like 1

I wonder how players feel knowing they weren't first cho ice but get called up. He may well be travelling, sat in his bubble in a hotel and not getting a game.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Yep! I think that's Gibbo's point. It would be incongruous to allow players to play games earlier in the tournament then rule them out later on if they had a subsequent birthday.

Yup, it'd be a real kicker if they didn't do it the way they do!

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wonder how players feel knowing they weren't first cho ice but get called up. He may well be travelling, sat in his bubble in a hotel and not getting a game.

A bit awkward maybe but it'll probably give him more of a drive to impress.

It beggars belief that he wasn't in the squad in the first place. Does England really have 6 or 7 young midfield players who are more talented than Todd? 

If Todd isn't first choice and unlikely to play it would have made more sense to get a new U21 involved. Strange short term decision with no thought to future planning and a young player gaining valuable experience with the squad.

Not sure this benefits Todd, England or NCFC.

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Todd isn't first choice and unlikely to play it would have made more sense to get a new U21 involved. Strange short term decision with no thought to future planning and a young player gaining valuable experience with the squad.

Not sure this benefits Todd, England or NCFC.

I'd disagree with most of that. I understand that it might be good to give someone a chance, but they'll want the strongest squad possible and all three parties will benefit:

Todd only has a few caps at u21 level, so the more experience at international level he gets, the better it will be for his development and profile.

The England u21 squad will benefit because Todd is a different player to what they currently have - and to have someone like him at least on the bench is invaluable for tournaments.

NCFC will undoubtedly benefit because it will strengthen our bargaining position, whenever a PL club comes calling. 

16 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I’m sure he could use the time wisely-he hasn’t posted anything on IG since 16 March 😉

9 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It beggars belief that he wasn't in the squad in the first place. Does England really have 6 or 7 young midfield players who are more talented than Todd? 

I had similar thoughts when I saw he'd been left out but yes, they do.

Especially if you include the eligible players in the senior squad, or those out injured.

On 23/03/2021 at 21:57, keelansgrandad said:

He is absolutely loving he gets to wear the shirt. I think you could tell he was a bit hurt not to get the initial call up, and now he’s posting all sorts on Instagram of him in the shirt.

He has a sensitive ego like that tbh.