Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

The MP for NW Norfolk is an idiot

After this nonsense someone checked out his web site and there were zero flags.

If you voted for this idiot you should be embarrassed.

This type of flag sh@gging really should stop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Norfolk has its fair share of twatty MPs. 

And after Bernard Jenkins ludicrous level of flag shagging the Royal Navy have now figured out where one of theirs has gone. 

5 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

After this nonsense someone checked out his web site and there were zero flags.

If you voted for this idiot you should be embarrassed.

This type of flag sh@gging really should stop.

I am not sure if I'm odd (probably not) but the union jack has often given me some shivers, certainly an uncomfortable feeling at times (I was fine making sand castles on Hunny beach as a boy with England, Scotland and union flags!).

Now...I love aspects of our culture...music, art, nature, our so-called eccentricity, our engineering/science, our sense of humour. Yet the flag has always felt alien, maybe threatening?

Perhaps I was born too late to not have known the war and the flag as a national symbol of unity, of victory? 

Yet I associate it much more now with our colonial past, especially as I re- read historical accounts through the prism of life in the 2020s as I get to hear stories from all kinds of countries about the British influence. Perhaps some folk in the Netherlands feel the same?

I'm not sure I'm less patriotic than ever. I was anti-Brexit for certain but not because I was not "British". What is it about this symbol then?

Growing up I felt it was associated either with the far right, or, just as likely brought out by royalist types at key events (or the Proms). So for me it has been appropriated somehow and identifies more readily to certain groups of people...taken away from the wider country perhaps?...linked to uglier aspects of the past? Yet now we have a seeming battle between Labour and Conservatives to reclaim it. Any thoughts welcome as I realise this post is  stream-of-consciousness rather than researched. I suppose finding articles which are neutral might be hard to find!

Edited by sonyc
"more uglier" doh
  • Like 5

Obsessions with flags always seemed like a strange American thing to me, furthest thing from British really. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Haus said:

Obsessions with flags always seemed like a strange American thing to me, furthest thing from British really. 

Spot on! Maybe that's why the Americans are so vexed (Think about it while I get my coat).

24 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Here's one you might feel more comfortable with🇪🇺

Haha...Not really Ricardo. Flags are not my thing but I don't mind the Along Come Norwich ones at Carrow Rd. It's one time I feel part of a bigger unity, on the way to a match. Perhaps you too.

Sport flag waving (Olympics etc) seems quite reasonable perhaps? In most other fields of life, flags feel a bit OTT don't they? Up my way you see Leeds United flags (and badges) a lot and it's not a good look.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

I am not sure if I'm odd (probably not) but the union jack has often given me some shivers, certainly an uncomfortable feeling at times (I was fine making sand castles on Hunny beach as a boy with England, Scotland and union flags!).

Now...I love aspects of our culture...music, art, nature, our so-called eccentricity, our engineering/science, our sense of humour. Yet the flag has always felt alien, maybe threatening?

Perhaps I was born too late to not have known the war and the flag as a national symbol of unity, of victory? 

Yet I associate it much more now with our colonial past, especially as I re- read historical accounts through the prism of life in the 2020s as I get to hear stories from all kinds of countries about the British influence. Perhaps some folk in the Netherlands feel the same?

I'm not sure I'm less patriotic than ever. I was anti-Brexit for certain but not because I was not "British". What is it about this symbol then?

Growing up I felt it was associated either with the far right, or, just as likely brought out by royalist types at key events (or the Proms). So for me it has been appropriated somehow and identifies more readily to certain groups of people...taken away from the wider country perhaps?...linked to uglier aspects of the past? Yet now we have a seeming battle between Labour and Conservatives to reclaim it. Any thoughts welcome as I realise this post is  stream-of-consciousness rather than researched. I suppose finding articles which are neutral might be hard to find!

You've been indoctrinated

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

You've been indoctrinated

Possibly so. I think my post was more explorative though than stating definite facts.

It's difficult to steer a path that is neutral. 

I believe I've mentioned (to you specifically actually) that the older I get, the more experience I gain, then the more unsure and uncertain I have become about many things. I see it as a good thing but also you get frustrated with stuff and it's something you have to learn to tolerate.

It's why I tend not to like sides being taken that are so much in black and white. I know you posted you didn't agree with me about certainty! But there we are.

25 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Haha...Not really Ricardo. Flags are not my thing but I don't mind the Along Come Norwich ones at Carrow Rd. It's one time I feel part of a bigger unity, on the way to a match. Perhaps you too.

Sport flag waving (Olympics etc) seems quite reasonable perhaps? In most other fields of life, flags feel a bit OTT don't they? Up my way you see Leeds United flags (and badges) a lot and it's not a good look.

It's about identification with your group. There will always be good and bad aspects to that. The same with any nations history, there will be parts to take pride in and others not so much.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

They are just desperate for a culture war.

Agreed, but I find this nationalism rather troublesome and we know the sort of people they are trying to attract. 

Just to add I think it is best we use a great British trait, **** taking, to destroy it before it does take off. 0

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, king canary said:

They are just desperate for a culture war.

Yep. It certainly appears that way. And a few posters on this forum have been doing that for the last few years haven't they? Stuff gets posted and within hours (often) someone posts very pointed stuff. You cannot easily debate with such folk though because that isn't the end result wanted. It is to stir up and "us and them" kind of narrative. If you say anything they don't agree with you're a "woke" or you're stupid etc etc. 

And this nationalistic theme is another outcome of Brexit. And possibly fully intended. 

Already we've seen some professions are being selected for attack (judiciary to name one). Plenty more to go at. 1920s 1930s anyone?

Divide and rule: Tories whip up culture war with eye on 2024

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/divide-and-rule-tories-whip-up-culture-war-with-eye-on-2024-220815/

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, sonyc said:

Imagine being afraid of a flag...

3 hours ago, Haus said:

Sums up the EU pretty much who are absolutely flag-loving, just as their past nasty ancestors were.   If you ever visit Germany you will find flagpoles adorned in people's gardens far more than in the UK. 

Edited by paul moy
  • Like 1

This is a very safe Conservative seat, so Lynners are stuck with this pillock for a very long time.

13 hours ago, Herman said:

Imagine having to hide behind one.

TeamGB are at the Olympics and you’re behind the sofa. Mate, get help.

Well I don't quote you because it is highly likely others have blocked you. And if they haven't blocked me then I will inflict your distractive nonsense on them, which isn't fair.

• Like 2

How do you explain not doing it for other people?

The reason you do it is because in your perfect world you wouldn’t have to “answer” to anyone and millions would die of starvation in the Ukraine. Commie.

I’m from Wales and I’m proud of the Welsh flag, if I was a Scott I guess I would feel the same way about the Scottish flag, are you English lads not allowed to feel the same way about the flag of St George?

17 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I’m from Wales and I’m proud of the Welsh flag, if I was a Scott I guess I would feel the same way about the Scottish flag, are you English lads not allowed to feel the same way about the flag of St George?

I'm proud of the flag, I'm not happy with the way the EDL, BNP & the other RWNJ's (ab)use it.

The current obsession by the Tories to have it as their background is daft.

I'm proud of being a City fan but I don't have a yellow & green scarf on all the time & I don't criticise anyone else who doesn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Nothing wrong with a dragon is there? 😉....but I think I've been clear about my feelings about the Union Jack and St George's flag. They have been used to signify values I don't agree with. And I'm not a fan of how its being used now by politicians.

One of my sons will fly the England flag during football competitions and that's fine by me. I've never argued or persuaded anyone in the family against following or believing in anything. For the same reasons ,I very much disagree with a few posters on here but tend to ask questions to challenge rather than get all defended by stuff and then exchange insults. Most of the time I say nowt and don't post at all ( I literally STFU!). What's this to do with flags? I suppose they are literally symbolic of being on a 'side' aren't they ? ...and in football that's fine but when it enters politics and creates  'us and them' narratives it's a big turn off. 

22 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Nothing wrong with a dragon is there? 😉....but I think I've been clear about my feelings about the Union Jack and St George's flag. They have been used to signify values I don't agree with. And I'm not a fan of how its being used now by politicians.

One of my sons will fly the England flag during football competitions and that's fine by me. I've never argued or persuaded anyone in the family against following or believing in anything. For the same reasons ,I very much disagree with a few posters on here but tend to ask questions to challenge rather than get all defended by stuff and then exchange insults. Most of the time I say nowt and don't post at all ( I literally STFU!). What's this to do with flags? I suppose they are literally symbolic of being on a 'side' aren't they ? ...and in football that's fine but when it enters politics and creates  'us and them' narratives it's a big turn off. 

I'll be getting me Dragon out tonight, he's been about a lot lately but did shed a tear last Saturday night.

I fully appreciate your position, what I was really reflecting on was that it seems to be  acceptable to most for us Taffy's to wave the Dragon, yet English mates feel inhibited about doing the same with their flag.

Complicated stuff 😀

Edited by Van wink