Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Going back to Carrow Road

1 minute ago, CanaryNath said:

Hahaha!!! 

a new clinical study was required to explain how vaccines work?!! FML. 

A vaccine prevents you from getting ill - AFTER you have contracted a disease. It DOESN’T prevent you from actually catching and unknowingly spreading said disease. 

that’s why mass vaccination programs are needed. We will all still be spreading COVID-19 but as we will be vaccinated, we won’t present with symptoms. 

True, I was making the point that they aren’t perfect.  I read that last years flu vaccine was only effective for 75% of those vaccinated. The effectiveness of AZ against serious illness caused by COVID is amazing news, if the study results are matched with a larger sample set that is fantastic news.

• Like 1

I guess it as hinges on how effective these vaccines are in combating the virus. If it works then the 3rd wave will be nothing to worry about but the fear is the vaccines might not be so effective against the constantly changing variants. I really hope we can get back soon, we've sadly not been able to witness what could be Norwich's best ever championship season, and not celebrate our achievements, and that's a shame, I hope at the very least we can return for next season at least in some capacity

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CanaryNath said:

Hahaha!!! 

a new clinical study was required to explain how vaccines work?!! FML. 

A vaccine prevents you from getting ill - AFTER you have contracted a disease. It DOESN’T prevent you from actually catching and unknowingly spreading said disease. 

that’s why mass vaccination programs are needed. We will all still be spreading COVID-19 but as we will be vaccinated, we won’t present with symptoms. 

The main goal of a vaccine might be to prevent the person getting ill, but there's generally a degree of benefit in terms of transmission. While a vaccine can't magically stop you taking a virus on board, an effective vaccine will mean viral replication is massively reduced, so you not only don't get ill, but hopefully don't reach such a viral load as to make you highly infectious to others. 

How effective any vaccine is at doing this is variable. But it'd be odd to expect zero effect, and there's evidence appearing that there's a transmission reduction with Covid vaccine, eg the public health Scotland study. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Covid passports is a worry

To have had both vaccinations by the start of the season in august. You will have had to have had your first one by the start of May to allow for the 12 week gap.

There may not be anyone under the age of 50 in at the start of the season???

My local vaccination centre has already started doing the 40+ age group, had mine on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

My local vaccination centre has already started doing the 40+ age group, had mine on Sunday.

That is good news, I thought they had delayed the 40+ roll out, did they contact you? 

Edited by Newtopia

6 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

That is good news, I thought they had delayed the 40+ roll out, did they contact you? 

It really depends on where you live, use by date on stock and how many people your GP have already vaccinated I think.  My wife had hers on Saturday and she is early 30's - they apparently vaccinated people as young as 19 that day.

30 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

They did, had a text from my surgery on the Friday afternoon and the slots I could book were all on the Sunday at Swaffham. I’m probably one of the first if it’s done alphabetically and Swaffham seem to be getting through their catchment area quickly and efficiently, I actually live nearer Fakenham and work with people in that area and the surgery there still has lots of 50+ folk to work though.

I think it’s likely that I’m fortunate to fall under the Swaffham vaccination centre and that the Sunday slots are probably filled at the last minute with whoever they can get hold of to fill them as my wife had a Friday evening phone call at the end of February for a Sunday afternoon appointment (she falls in the vulnerable category).

I am glad you have had the jab.  I tried contacting our vaccination centre but they aren’t calling people under 50 yet.  Amazing what a difference geography makes.

• Thanks 1

Social distancing in the 1940’s

PS That’s me with my school cap and leather gauntlets in the front 

C69CE991-E6B2-42DE-81B7-D90CCCD0832D.jpeg

• Like 2

I didn’t wait for a letter or contact from GP , I booked on the NHS website, live in Norwich but went to Attleborough. It’s worth a try. I am over 60 and had heard they were doing over 60s that’s why I went direct. Tried to book wife in who is a few years younger but site wouldnt let me so you can’t actually jump the queue