Sign in to follow this  
overthebordercanary

Line of Duty

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

How do you  think I got this steely gaze, a few months in the H blocks in the seventies was my training.  

So damn inscrutable, no wonder you've remained undiscovered for 6 series.

Just now, horsefly said:

So damn inscrutable, no wonder you've remained undiscovered for 6 series.

I don't leave red herrings, I leave pink pilchards.  😉

Weren't the "Pink Pilchards" a '70s prog rock combo formed by dissident IRA terrorists imprisoned in the H Block? And didn't one of their members mysteriously "leave" amid rumours that he had gone undercover? 

Now the plot really thickens, most definately.

Last night I noticed we had the car chase from Bullitt, a 'Thelma & Louise' moment and then later it was the homage to the 'raid on Osama Bin Laden's house' footage.

Next week Jimmy Nesbitt finally turns up in Spain doing a fine parody of 'Dirty Beast'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

There is no way Thurwell is dead, you don't hire James Nesbitt just to use a couple of photos.

If they did hire him for photos only then I want a refund on my licence fee.

Why did they dwell on Ted in the lift?

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If they did hire him for photos only then I want a refund on my licence fee.

Why did they dwell on Ted in the lift?

He was going to floor 'H'. 😀

• Haha 1

Brilliant acting by Kelly McDonald last night. She carried that interrogation scene with great support from Carmichael. Jo's character was a portrayal of fear and hurt... it is rare to see ...and especially as there was little action in the scene just a focus on the face.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Brilliant acting by Kelly McDonald last night. She carried that interrogation scene with great support from Carmichael. Jo's character was a portrayal of fear and hurt... it is rare to see ...and especially as there was little action in the scene just a focus on the face.

Nice easy script to learn though.

'No comment.'

Agree though, thought she was excellent in that scene.

Just now, king canary said:

Nice easy script to learn though.

'No comment.'

Agree though, thought she was excellent in that scene.

Yeah, true. But she opened up slowly and convincingly. It made me more sympathetic to her character, somehow more depth emerged.

I think being honest maybe I'm a little biased too as if I was ever to meet her in real life I believe I would struggle not to try and be quite charming!

• Like 1

Just now, sonyc said:

Yeah, true. But she opened up slowly and convincingly. It made me more sympathetic to her character, somehow more depth emerged.

I think being honest maybe I'm a little biased too as if I was ever to meet her in real life I believe I would struggle not to try and be quite charming!

I feel like she's barely aged since Trainspotting. 

LoD is one of those shows that has benefitted hugely from some amazing performances from leading actresses- Keeley Hawes, Thandi Newton and now Kelly Mcdonald and Anna Maxwell Martin have all been fantastic.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, king canary said:

I feel like she's barely aged since Trainspotting. 

LoD is one of those shows that has benefitted hugely from some amazing performances from leading actresses- Keeley Hawes, Thandi Newton and now Kelly Mcdonald and Anna Maxwell Martin have all been fantastic.

Anna Maxwell Martin is so convincing in the part that I am shouting at the screen when she uses that quiet spoken, calm, supercillious attitude.

I was slightly disappointed they didn't get to the man/woman at the top but the actor playing Buckles did say the intention was to point out that corruption normally involves those at the top getting away with it.

On 26/04/2021 at 10:55, sonyc said:

Agree with that, and the main trio are always good value and have enjoying seeing them again, but despite that, for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on, this series just hasn't grabbed me in the way the earlier ones did - so much so in fact that I tried to give up watching very early on but my wife had other ideas so in search of a quiet life..........😀

Equally I haven't even looked at this thread until just now but after sitting through the final episode thinking that we might at least end with a bang I thought I'd see what other people thought of the ending which IMO was scarely even a whimper...🙄

51 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Agree with that, and the main trio are always good value and have enjoying seeing them again, but despite that, for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on, this series just hasn't grabbed me in the way the earlier ones did - so much so in fact that I tried to give up watching very early on but my wife had other ideas so in search of a quiet life..........😀

Equally I haven't even looked at this thread until just now but after sitting through the final episode thinking that we might at least end with a bang I thought I'd see what other people thought of the ending which IMO was scarely even a whimper...🙄

It was a rather subtle ending ...maybe the kindest way of describing it. It left a few questions...what would Carmichael do next, would Hastings be allowed to rescind his retirement, was there someone still higher up the tree who was dodgy, would Steve & Steph become an item (😅) etc. I guess some things were just left a bit open for the possibility of another series. 

Didn’t like the little smirk from Buckells as he was locked up in his cell. Another series methinks.

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

It was a rather subtle ending ...maybe the kindest way of describing it. It left a few questions...what would Carmichael do next, would Hastings be allowed to rescind his retirement, was there someone still higher up the tree who was dodgy, would Steve & Steph become an item (😅) etc. I guess some things were just left a bit open for the possibility of another series. 

Well there was a lot of speculation before and during this series that it would be the last but like you, it seemed to me that the ending was very much just setting the scene for the next series - it certainly wasn't (IMO) a remotely fitting conclusion to the whole series.

• Like 1

If that's the end it's hugely underwhelming. I understand the idea he's trying to make a point that stuff like corruption doesn't get wrapped up neatly in real life but LoD has never been realistic so ita a cop out to start now.

I initially thought what a terrible ending. But, looking back with a clear head now I see it fulfilled the brief, but left so many unanswered questions. Is Buckells H, or the fourth man - are they two different people? There still seems to be corruption higher up the chain, which, as several have said leads nicely into another series.

Just finished with this season last night, haven't watched weekly but binged over last few days so have steered clear of this thread.

Agree with much of what has been posted in here tbh. Thought the ending was a bit weak but kind of expected it to be a bit low key so I wasn't surprised.

Enjoyed Hastings rants particularly which were clearly pretty thinly veiled commentaries on the current UK political situation.

In terms of another series, LoD draws bigger audiences than any other show in the last 13 years. Not a chance in hell that was the end of it. My guess is the trio will be seconded to another force to deal with a high profile investigation. I dont see where else they can go with this within AC12 without it crossing the line into ridiculous... it needs a full clean sweep and start over in a new setting with Hastings, Arnott and Fleming and mainly new characters (whilst retaining a few links to the first 6 seasons such as steve/Steph and a few cameos from others etc).