Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Age or year when first watched Norwich City live.

46 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Had my ? Stolen...

Fedora? Fez? Tiara? Toupee? 

Oh yeah, my hat swipped straight off my head as he walked past me, blooming cheek of it as I loved that hat.

Nope you're wrong with the style, it was more peaky blinders in yellow and green quarters and green peak.

Still scarred now by it and to make the pain worse after our semi final defeat at Hillsborough to Sunderland I agree to swap shifts with a Sunderland fan,. unfortunately I was so distraught with losing I didn't really pay attention until it was late and I was left with a small shirt that I could fit in to and had to walk through Sheffield bare chested 🤦😆

Bristol City in March 1968 at the age of 8. Seems incredible now but a group of us from school went unaccompanied on the bus from Poringland. 

We won 3-2 and I was absolutely hooked. 

36 minutes ago, Year of the tiger said:

19 March 1960, Norwich 0 Bradford City 0

First away game Jan 1965 Ipswich 3 City 0 the infamous iced pitch game

I've heard tales of that Ipswich game. Running on the pitch to have a go at the groundstaff at half time😂

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

1953/54 season but I have no real recollection of the match or the opponents. Even before this I used to get in free after halftime when us kids waited for Russel Allison to open the gates.

I'm like Ricardo, my memory is shot.  I was 7 in 1970, I have no memory of the match I attended.  I stood on the South Stand on a stool.  I do remember more of the flowing promotion season mind!

Millwall at home 1963 aged 7. Remember sitting on wooden benches in south stand. My dad took me to Purdys for lunch before the game then the cinema at after the game. Probably was my birthday.

• Like 1

August 1957 v Palace. Won 3-2 with 2 goals from Johnny Gavin. I was 9. I’d been before that but that’s the first game I remember. 

2 hours ago, Year of the tiger said:

19 March 1960, Norwich 0 Bradford City 0

First away game Jan 1965 Ipswich 3 City 0 the infamous iced pitch game

What fun that was.👍

I'm a long time lurker on this forum now living far away from Norwich but I always cheer City from afar and enjoy reading the discussions on here. I'm lucky enough to have an Evening News clipping which was  of me at my first match at Carrow Road in the week of my 3rd birthday at the 5-1 win over Blackpool in March 72.

If anyone knows the team and scorers that day I'd love to know.

20210322_170419.thumb.jpg.7d6dfd6620d459b209fef4c5c0fa966d.jpg

10 minutes ago, Lurking Canary said:

I'm a long time lurker on this forum now living far away from Norwich but I always cheer City from afar and enjoy reading the discussions on here. I'm lucky enough to have an Evening News clipping which was  of me at my first match at Carrow Road in the week of my 3rd birthday at the 5-1 win over Blackpool in March 72.

If anyone knows the team and scorers that day I'd love to know.

20210322_170419.thumb.jpg.7d6dfd6620d459b209fef4c5c0fa966d.jpg

That was the brilliant 5-1 demolition of Blackpool.  Hence the sub-editors little joke.  That is the oldest memory of watching Norwich I still have.  Brilliant match.  Its featured in the attached video, about 34 mins in.  Paddon, Cross and Bone the scorers.  

Edited by shefcanary

6-2 loss at home to Forest in Jan ‘91 aged 10. Took the lead with a Tim Sherwood free kick I think but then got battered although Fleck (from memory) got 1 back. Got pushed down to the front of the Barclay on my own and it was amazing - especially when Gunn and Bowen had a massive argument in front of me for conceding a soft corner after about 5 had gone in - learnt some new words that night with Welsh *#%! and useless Scottish £&?!

My first game was Norwich v Southampton in Oct 1988. I was 19 so a late starter compared to lots of you guys. I recall being really excited about the game and being somewhat star struck by the players and being in the Barclay.  

I’m not sure whether it was a good game or not as I have no recollection of the match at all other than it was a draw. I just looked it up and it was 1-1. I know I went to lots of the home games that season but looking through the results I haveonly a vague recollection of them. I seemed to wake up a bit in 1989 as I can remember those a bit more clearly.

😬🙄

13 Sept 1947 aged eight. Norwich 1 Ipswich 5. Can't think of a worse debut !!!!

I think mine was a 4-4 draw away to Charlton, not sure the year - possibly 1995. One of my Dad’s friends was a season ticket holder at The Valley, and he got tickets for my Dad and I to see the game with him

As I lived in Watford my first Norwich match was at Vicarage Road on 24 October 1981-It was a month before my 18th birthday. Watford won 3-0.

More memorable was my first gig 2 days previously when I saw The Clash at The Lyceum in London.

• Like 1

Can't remember the exact date, or who we were playing. it must have been about 63, my dear old dad use to 'sit' me through the railings along the South Stand near to the half way line. 

Seen some epic battles, both off and on the terraces.

I reffed in local footy for over 20 years, when a badly torn calf kept me off work for 9 weeks - thank you Thorpe Rec. I decided to take the kids to start watching again. We've now sat in our seats since 2002, and I still think having a season ticket is one of the greatest things I have ever had.

• Like 1

It was a day after my 7th birthday my grandad took me. 1999, in my birthday card was a season ticket for the following season. Loved going to Carrow Road with him. We stopped gping together in 2009.

Edited by Ward 3
  • Like 1

November 1986 Man Utd visited Carrow road for a boring 0-0 draw. One of Ferguson’s first games in charge of them so a little bit of history in the making. 

At the time Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd were  in the bottom 4 - which shows how much things change. Luton were 4th 

•  

It has been a long time since I last posted but I always enjoy reading the message board. 

I first went to Carrow Road when I was 7 years old  in 1960. It was against Accrington Stanley and City won 4-0 not that I remember much about it!  I used to go regularly until 1977 when I moved away. 
It got me thinking since that first time in the 1959/60 season of how many seasons have Norwich spent in each of the  top 3 divisions. 
You can probably tell that the lockdown is getting to me!

Anyway, so far Div 1 26 seasons, Div 2 34 and Div 3  2 seasons. 
I then did the same for Ipswich which remarkably is identical, Div 1 26, Div 2 34 and Div 3 2 seasons!

Of course hopefully come next season the records will no longer match!

Oldham at home, last game of the 93/94 season. 1-1 with Rob Ullathorne getting the equaliser. It was in the old South Stand and I was 6. I have vague recollections of the goal going in, but that’s about it. 

7 minutes ago, Willmeister said:

Oldham at home, last game of the 93/94 season. 1-1 with Rob Ullathorne getting the equaliser. It was in the old South Stand and I was 6. I have vague recollections of the goal going in, but that’s about it. 

That long ago! Saw that  match too which relegated Oldham. 

8 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Yeah yeah, second account merchant 😆

Not quite sure if I ought to be flattered or worried (*peaks through curtains to check*)