Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

Alex Neil to get the Sack?

Yeah, did hear about this and thought about making a thread but somehow resisted.

Seriosuly though, what did Preston expect this season? I mean, I know they have done poorly but they are the defintion of midtable team and have been for years

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seriosuly though, what did Preston expect this season? I mean, I know they have done poorly but they are the defintion of midtable team and have been for years

Think that is exactly right, I'd say Alex has done a pretty good job there given the resources at his disposal and certainly he had them punching above their weight for two seasons at least - mutual sounds right as well, I would imagine he is ready for somewhere fresh and with a bit more potential.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah, did hear about this and thought about making a thread but somehow resisted.

I never criticise starting new threads. I understand why the forum police make sure the board doesn’t get unwieldy, yet it seems odd to discourage new threads, especially when a thread meanders off on its own path.  Last nights match thread went off into politics.

BTW - PNE have an even more impressive historic record than our neighbours, twice champions of England, and two time winners of the FA cup.   Perhaps their fans expect (dream) of getting back to those heady days, even if the most recent was in the 1930’s and three of them were in the 1880/1890’s.

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

New manager bounce against a slightly ‘scratch’ Norwich XI anyone?!  

New manager bounce wasn’t so good last Sunday 

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He’s gone.

Doesn't bode well for Norwich.

New manager bounce saw Watford improve enough to beat us.

It’s just made the Preston game that much more difficult.

Heading Watford into the PL is important, especially from our current position.

PNE don't have Watford's squad and are down there for a reason.

Edited by Canary73
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, unique said:

New manager bounce saw Watford improve enough to beat us.

It’s just made the Preston game that much more difficult.

Heading Watford into the PL is important, especially from our current position.

We beat Sheffield Wednesday (Darren Moore new manager bounce) and Watford were pretty lucky against us

They might not even have anybody in place when we play them so a new manager bounce won't be in the equation.

Certainly made the game harder, but we've also got a bit of much-needed rest here. Not sure if Gibson will be back in time, but you'd think Dimi would be.

This has made me realise how little I pay attention to the Championship apart from our games, I've no idea really who are where from about 7th down. So I've absolutely no idea how well, or bad Preston have been. 

Edited by Ken Hairy

Good bloke, good manager. Like a lot of managers, all but a very few, they get so far then stall for whatever reason. 

To be fair to him he’s done pretty well with limited resources since he’s been there, just feels like the partnership has come to a natural end. Can’t imagine he’ll be out of work for long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Only because you coudn't link it to a career-ending injury...🤓

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Nice guy, good motivator but don't think he'll ever be more than a mid table Championship manager.

Yeah, I've always thought the Norwich job was likely to be as good as it got for him.

Right place at the right time when we got promoted but I thought it became clear pretty soon into the Prem season that he lacked the nous at the higher end. 

Back to Hamilton I expect. 

I think he can coach to a certain standard and he came to us and lit them up.  But I think that was his moment and had no idea when it came to a team not responding.

Who knows? If he hadn't panicked after that Newcastle defeat?

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

We lost at Deepdale two seasons ago so we have to put that blemish right.

That was my fault on my annual away game(twice to Deepdale and lost each time). Don't worry I won't be going this year.

On AN the club were in the race for the playoffs for a few seasons before he joined and the way I saw it they only had a few seasons left in them of not quite making it before the envitable decline. AN basically in terms of end of season results didn't change anything.

I wonder if another Scottish ex Norwich manager would fancy the job? Massive  club , briwyant  fans ,buy a  couple of beers for the away supporters  .

Job done . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

18 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I wonder if another Scottish ex Norwich manager would fancy the job? Massive  club , briwyant  fans ,buy a  couple of beers for the away supporters  .

Job done . 

I don't dislike Preston so I wouldn't really want that !