Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Injuries could define our (next) season

Was wondering, if the injuries to both Gibson and Rupp disrupt our game over the next couple of matches, would that highlight the need for this type of cover as a priority for next season, if we get to the PL ?

Both are defensive players (Rupp of course has the ability to play more forward very well) and will be a miss for us in my opinion. Perhaps more so than a Buendia, especially Gibson. I can't see us not making the PL now and the timing of these injuries may be the nudge needed for next season to renforce in both these areas especially CB.

Probably need 6/7 new players in the summer. 

Another CB must be high on the priorities, we wouldnt be naive enough to just go with the 3 we've got. Unless they think Famewo is good enough, I can't comment on that because I've never seen him play.

What about full back area, Aaron's will probably go and Mumba is very inexperienced. Will McCallum be in and around the squad?

Skipp will go back, Rupp, McLean and Sorensen can do a job in there but Skipp will 100% need replacing.

Hernandez no end product and Placheta is still very raw, will we need someone new in that area? 

Hopefull Cantwell and Buendia stay.

No10 area is light, Dowell has the ability and legs to do well there, Vrancic has the ability but not the legs, Stiepermann has the legs but not the ability.

Pukki, Hugill and someone else. Cant afford to go another season in the prem and not have someone who can come in for Pukki when he hits a dodgy patch. Bearing in mind how there was no real break last summer, been a busy hard condensed season and at the end of this one he has the euros.

2 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Probably need 6/7 new players in the summer. 

Another CB must be high on the priorities, we wouldnt be naive enough to just go with the 3 we've got. Unless they think Famewo is good enough, I can't comment on that because I've never seen him play.

What about full back area, Aaron's will probably go and Mumba is very inexperienced. Will McCallum be in and around the squad?

Skipp will go back, Rupp, McLean and Sorensen can do a job in there but Skipp will 100% need replacing.

Hernandez no end product and Placheta is still very raw, will we need someone new in that area? 

Hopefull Cantwell and Buendia stay.

No10 area is light, Dowell has the ability and legs to do well there, Vrancic has the ability but not the legs, Stiepermann has the legs but not the ability.

Pukki, Hugill and someone else. Cant afford to go another season in the prem and not have someone who can come in for Pukki when he hits a dodgy patch. Bearing in mind how there was no real break last summer, been a busy hard condensed season and at the end of this one he has the euros.

Rupp and McLean didn’t cut it in the prem last season so for me they are only second choice .

We went up on the basis of our goal scoring ability and not defence, that was obvious and again we all knew that the not really sorting that defence would be our massive weakness

This time we have shifted things to the good so if we go up then we will have a better starting position but that’s all stating the obvious.

But to stay there for a season or even two will require some very canny buying skills as we still don’t have the pots of dosh that others have.

Injuries can define anyone's season at any time. Each of the last two Premier League title defences have been wrecked by an injury crisis in defence. 

It's obvious that we need another centre back as just three aren't enough, but the risk is that you can't have a squad that's too big because you'll have unhappy players dragging morale down and taking up a wage, which could've better invested elsewhere in the playing squad. 

Also, it's obvious that we need to strengthen if we go up because the gulf is absolutely massive, which we have proved over the last seasons. We need at least five players (fourth centre back, central midfielder, a quality number ten, an extra wide player and a competitor for Pukki) plus maybe another four depending on circumstances (replacements for Skipp, Buendia and Aarons if they go, and maybe a sub left back if McCallum isn't ready).

I agree with @Move Klose; neither Hernandez & Placheta have an end product - we haven't missed them whatsoever have we? Both can easily be replaced. And if we don't have high crosses swinging in, that makes Hugill surplus to requirements too.

Injuries to Rupp & Gibson are a concern in this league, never mind the one we're heading to! We probably need up to 8 new players to upgrade the current squad - maybe more depending on major departures.

31 minutes ago, Mr Tea said:

Rupp and McLean didn’t cut it in the prem last season so for me they are only second choice .

We went up on the basis of our goal scoring ability and not defence, that was obvious and again we all knew that the not really sorting that defence would be our massive weakness

This time we have shifted things to the good so if we go up then we will have a better starting position but that’s all stating the obvious.

But to stay there for a season or even two will require some very canny buying skills as we still don’t have the pots of dosh that others have.

Rupp and McLean have both massively improved since last season. Of course we need to improve the squad, but don't negate that the squad also improves itself over time.

• Like 3

We need 6,7 or 8 new players, Rupp was useless in Pl last season.  I can assure you we might get 8 new names but they will be bargain bucket signings cannot afford the level of spending you are suggesting.  Love to see us spend the £100m to make signings of the quality to make us competitive.  Remember Villa and Fulham invested that much and Villa avoided relegation on last day and Fulham were relegated.  May see signings from relegated clubs or out of contract but they won't be of sufficient quality to ensure survival. 

We will have to use the bulk of the current squad which will include Placheta and Rupp who has impressed this season as central midfielder and has proved he is not a right winger.  Definitely need CB can we get Dawson from WBA probably too expensive.  Another striker to supplement Pukki hope Soto could be that player.

I largely agree with @Move Klose. I'm sure Webber will want to prove a point regarding his transfer business this time and won't mess about.

I can only imagine that they were planning on signing a fourth CB in the summer. I have a sneeky feeling it'll be a 'loan with an option-to-buy if we stay up' type deal, as we'll have Famewo and Omobamidele ready to take that place if we were to get relegated. If it is over four months out, Gibson's injury may just mean that Famewo doesn't go out on loan until January, so that he can cover for the worst case scenario of a BG setback.

Re: Hernandez and Placheta, they both have something to offer and remain good options, but we don't want to have to rely on them if Buendia/Cantwell gets injured for a prolonged period of time. 

Well im sure a couple of premier league loans and a couple of over seas transfers have already been spoken about.