Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Injuries could scupper the season

Having been at CR for the 94-95 season with 20 games gone we sat pretty at the top end of the premiership only to go onto an almighty collapse and relegation.......going through that teaches you to never count your chickens!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Moosebadge said:

Watford

Bachman - Austria

Troost Ekond - Nigeria

Sirelta - Chile

Ksbesele - Belgium

Cathcart - Northern Ireland

Masina - Morroco

Sarr - Senegal

Sema - Sweden

Grey - Jamaica

Wilmot - England U21

Its gonna be nerve wracking hoping for no injurys

I'm not sure theyre playing w/c qualifiers in south america and africa in this break are they?

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

Having been at CR for the 94-95 season with 20 games gone we sat pretty at the top end of the premiership only to go onto an almighty collapse and relegation.......going through that teaches you to never count your chickens!

We were doing ok when we won the Milk cup too. And in fairness I doubt anyone saw us losing every match after last year’s restart either. 

Uhmmmmm... by my math, enough injuries will scupper any team’s season. That is one of the inherent aspects of sports. 

56 minutes ago, Indy said:

Was the collapse due to injuries?

I'm not sure you can compare that season to this, when you have certain sides chasing you, some of the biggest names in football and we are talking about Swansea and brentford here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CirclePoint said:

Was the collapse due to injuries?

I'd say the injury to Bryan Gunn in the December of that season when we were about 8th was a big factor

Simon Tracey was a disaster and Andy Marshall not quite ready

• Like 1

If we win two, draw three, and lose three we get to 92 points. For Swansea to get to 92 they would either need to win eight out of their nine, or seven and draw the other two. Brentford would need to win eight of their nine.

1 hour ago, CirclePoint said:

Uhmmmmm... by my math, enough injuries will scupper any team’s season. That is one of the inherent aspects of sports. 

Sorry . Can’t take anyone that says “math” seriously . 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If we win two, draw three, and lose three we get to 92 points. For Swansea to get to 92 they would either need to win eight out of their nine, or seven and draw the other two. Brentford would need to win eight of their nine.

And that’s my view Purple, but the next three are the easiest games on paper, we have to play Preston with a tired core of our squad of players who will only just be back from international’s, then four days later we play again at home! then the following weekend so in eight days it’ll be the three key games, we’ve probably lost Gibson and Rupp for those games....be nice to get everyone back fit, get the two wins on the board.

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

And that’s my view Purple, but the next three are the easiest games on paper, we have to play Preston with a tired core of our squad of players who will only just be back from international’s, then four days later we play again at home! then the following weekend so in eight days it’ll be the three key games, we’ve probably lost Gibson and Rupp for those games....be nice to get everyone back fit, get the two wins on the board.

I can see us drawing a few games, but I would be amazed if we don't win at least two. In this run of 10 games, 19 of our 21 goals have been in open play, and often from sweeping moves (no great surprise given how we play, with Cantwell, Buendia and Pukki probably the best front three in the division). But we have also defended well and only let in four. Two came when we overdid the back play (Giannoulis passing straight to a Stoke player, for example) and the other two were from set pieces, including yesterday.

The only issue to be settled this season is whether we or Watford finish Champions and we are in the box seat. We have still to play Watford at Carrow Road and that could decide it.

The idea that a couple of injuries and we will suddenly be unable to average 1 point per game is absolutely ridiculous.

We have a 14 point lead to 3rd! And Swans and Brentford have really hit the wall. Added to that we took 28 points out of the last 30. Our best performance during that period was without Buendia.

Losing Gibbo isn't going to derail us. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sorry . Can’t take anyone that says “math” seriously . 

Why?

Do you say Englishs?

12 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

The only issue to be settled this season is whether we or Watford finish Champions and we are in the box seat. We have still to play Watford at Carrow Road and that could decide it.

It's quite feasible  that Watford could beat us, yet we will win the league by a bigger margin, than we currently have (8 points) 

I would imagine Giannoulis will be withdrawn from the Greek squad if he has had concussion, so unless he has a fracture, will be back after the break. Farke said Rupp could be back after the break as only a small hamstring issue. We're waiting on Gibson. Idah won't be available for Ireland but will be available for us having recovered from his hernia op

Yes there are players away on International duty but if they aren't playing there, they would have been playing with us so the risk of injury is the same. Not sure how many are actually first choice starters anyway. Don't agree we look tired. We finished strongly yesterday and should have nicked it. We're in a great position and mid table Championship form will be enough to get us over the line.

39 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

It's quite feasible  that Watford could beat us, yet we will win the league by a bigger margin, than we currently have (8 points) 

It's mathematicnot mathematic.

2 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Absolutely. I expect it to be decided before we get to Oakwell.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

It's mathematicnot mathematic.

Quite. Math is an Americanism and in the UK the abbreviation is maths.

it was Churchill who said that the UK and the USA are countries divided by a common language.

12 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Folks - we are not home and hosed as a few of our posters believe. 

Yes we are, stop this nonsense 😉 The only thing stopping is now is the human race coming to an end before May.

• Like 1

It’s a shame about the Gibson injury but with the exception of Krul I would be tempted to start without any of the internationals at Preston. The exception would be if they don’t play for their international side (I.e. Hanley hasn’t played much for Scotland). 

We could still put out

• Krul
  • mumba
  • quintilla
  • zimmerman
  • tettey
  • sorenson
  • vrancic
  • buendia
  • dowell
  • cantwell
  • hudgil

we could put a few of the internationals on the bench (Skipp, Aaron’s, Kenny, Hanley, Placheta, Pukki) and only bring them on if we really need to. That is still a capable side. 

• Like 1

The thread is a laugh, surely.

History says we are going up, comfortably as champions, probably by double digits.

There is no chance we do not get promoted. This is clear as we are currently 1/100 with most bookies. If you don't think that - then put a few quid on us not going up, you'll be swimming in it and get to tell folks like me "told you so". But in all likelihood you're doing your money in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

The thread is a laugh, surely.

History says we are going up, comfortably as champions, probably by double digits.

There is no chance we do not get promoted. This is clear as we are currently 1/100 with most bookies. If you don't think that - then put a few quid on us not going up, you'll be swimming in it and get to tell folks like me "told you so". But in all likelihood you're doing your money in.

Exactly. Swans and Brentford have 9 games left each. They need to win 5 of those just to get level with us. 6 or 7 more points will surely be enough for us and it simply isn't happening that we will have some sort of nosedive and lose 5 or 6 of our last 8. We are simply too good for almost all of this division. 

We are going up. Let's be honest it would take a complete collapse to not be top 2. I do feel however we are so insular at times on here. The claim the rest of the top 4 would have 6 players on international duty between them is a joke.  Every team has injury's. It's not just us. Watford and Brentford have some big players out for them. The international call up worries has just been put to bed by our Watford fan. I believe Brentford have a lot of the Danish squad in their team but I could be wrong. To summarise, every team has injury's we just don't know their team well enough to know. Every team has international call ups we just don't hear about them. Finally Evey team in the league would swap their points for ours. 

19 hours ago, Canaries north said:

We are going up. Let's be honest it would take a complete collapse to not be top 2. I do feel however we are so insular at times on here. The claim the rest of the top 4 would have 6 players on international duty between them is a joke.  Every team has injury's. It's not just us. Watford and Brentford have some big players out for them. The international call up worries has just been put to bed by our Watford fan. I believe Brentford have a lot of the Danish squad in their team but I could be wrong. To summarise, every team has injury's we just don't know their team well enough to know. Every team has international call ups we just don't hear about them. Finally Evey team in the league would swap their points for ours. 

How very rational. Are you new here?

The issue regarding the Preston game is frustrating but I can’t see how the result will turn out to be a disaster. Yes I think it’s highly likely that we will drop some points, but I think it will be more down to bad sportsmanship from Preston and bad fixture management by the FA than a poor performance from the team.

We are currently leading the race for the title by 8 pts and automatic promotion by 14 pts, although Swansea and Brentford both have a game in hand. This will mean that whatever the turnout of the upcoming fixtures we will still be at least 5 pts in the lead for the title, and 11 pts for automatic promotion and that’s assuming that the results of the fixtures turnout in the worst possible outcome (defeat for us, victory for Watford, Swansea, and Brentford). As a result of this I think we can afford to drop points against Preston as I can’t see how it will affect us much. Swansea are also a long way behind us - they need to win their next 5 and hope we lose our next 4 in order to catch up