Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Injuries could scupper the season

We have lost 3 players to injury in the last two games . Looking at the photos of Gibson , and hearing that Rupp is a hamstring suggests that we may not see either for a while , if at all , this season. 

The international break is now crucial. Three games in 7 days . The demands of international coaches are completely different to the club set ups. Apparently Idah was cleared as fit by the Irish coaches and we know how that ended . 

I suspect whatever happens we will play a weakened team against Preston.

With Gibson out , we simply cannot afford to lose another CB. We don’t have cover in this position. 

We likely need 8 more points from 8 games . Lose too many more of the critical players in the team and this could become tricky . 

Folks - we are not home and hosed as a few of our posters believe. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

If Scotland send Hanley back on a stretcher we'll have a problem

Also Aarons,Skipp and Pukki could well play 3 games before we play next

...but Brentford and Swansea need to win 4 more games than we do (5 if you include their games in hand) ...from the remaining 8 games just to catch us....given they both have to play Watford means further points will be dropped somewhere.

If we managed to mess it up from here it would be a rarity.

• Like 1

Take a breath GPB (or are you teasing us?)

I'll take your post at face value, and say we have a big enough squad to cope with a few injuries (it's been a lot worse earlier this season). We are in excellent form, and need 'only' a certain amount of points. We are too good to turn out a limp set of performances a la the end of last season. We have Zimbo to cover Gibson, and if Rupp is out, what is wrong with Dowell  or a tweak of system with Onel or Placheta moving Todd inside etc?

Other teams are out of form also and I do appreciate there are plenty of unusual results at this end of the season, and Swansea and Brentford have had 2 each in the last few days.

Perhaps there may be the odd 'injury' in the next day or so, that may prevent certain players going to their international games. That won't be the first time that has happened.

KTF

• Thanks 1

I've been saying all along it's not done until it's done and it is still a big task to get over the line. Gibson is now not going to be fit for a few weeks at least, so we might as well get used to that - but we are still in the driving seat and if we keep our nerve, the job should still be done.

As far as injuries go, if Hanley or Zimbo pick up an injury we still have players who can cover CB positions in Sorensen and Tettey and, we have plenty of midfield options.  Hugill can play a part if Pukki needs to rest for Preston, in short we have a big and strong squad. 

The ridiculous international break (internationals should have been stopped for this year given the circumstances) makes our job harder and we have a difficult run in of games - so it is still going to be a challenge to pick up points - but we are where we are for a reason and should be good enough to finish off the season well and reach our goal.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

in short we have a big and strong squad. 

Yet Rupp ( 1 PLAYER) being unavailable yesterday through injury gave you cause for concern.

And you still cant see why you get called out for this tripe.....preferring to refer to it as insults and name calling.......good grief.

• Like 1

I think you have a tough run in. But Watfords is very tough. Brentford Swansea not gonna catch you. So you are up.

Edited by Moosebadge

It's all very well focusing on us, because as we ALL know, that is the most important thing, but to make a complete picture, you cannot discount what all the other teams, in and around (below!) us are doing, either through results/performances/injuries etc.

Watford, Brentford and Swansea are worse off than us atm , AND with the points gap (to 3rd, which is the all important stat right now) that is as massive a gap as any team has faced/had in a rare old time at this stage of the season. 1 draw and an injury does not bring the walls crashing down, and certainly not after 9 straight wins (which NO other team has managed this season)

Go and have a look at the Swans and Bees fans forums and see how their fans are sweating. That will also apply to the players/managers of those teams as they are feeling the pressure far more than ours are, of that there will be NO doubt. They have it coming at them from all angles atm. We have been there before, they have not, and I would say we have the best manager at dealing with the psychological side of things out of all  the others (it may be marginal, but he ain't the worst, for sure). The other managers are playing the mind games, but you can see through them (They are not bad managers at all, but we have the best).

I can say don't default to a little old Norwich type syndrome, where you believe we have all the woes and the other teams are at the peak of their talents/season, but I do accept  that we are not all built like that. I am here to enjoy life to the max, and sometimes that may mean I get ahead of myself before something has actually happened and it (obviously) doesn't always work out for the best, but it doesn't half make the good times better, and others may say that it makes the bad times worse, but that is not how I tick. I am always looking up and grabbing the next positive moment. That doesn't mean I ignore the negatives, it's just , on balance, some of those negatives are still stronger than other teams positives

If we go up (and I would put my mortgage on it if Mrs Crabby would let me) then I will be extremely happy. If we fail to go up, through what would be some of the most extraordinary circumstances football has ever seen, I will be disappointed, but I will move onto my next focus that will make my life happy. Grab, and enjoy, the moment people, don't put your foot on the brakes, shift it over to the accelerator

I think the sooner we understand and accept that it’s probably Gibson done for this season the better. It is what it is, but we have to trust Zimmerman (who was fantastic 2018) to step up and fill the void. We are in a fantastic position but need to make sure we get back to winning ways after the restart. We have a fantastic squad who should be more than capable of getting the 3/4 wins we need.

3 minutes ago, Moosebadge said:

I think you have a tough run in. But Watfords is very tough. Brentford Swansea not gonna catch you. So you are up.

Yes, you do have a tough run in, but you certainly look more capable of dealing with it than Brentford and Swansea do atm, plus you have a points gap (even if they each win their game in hand) that they have to chase down

Pressure, hey? It does funny things, especially at the business end of the season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, birchfest said:

I think the sooner we understand and accept that it’s probably Gibson done for this season the better. It is what it is, but we have to trust Zimmerman (who was fantastic 2018) to step up and fill the void. We are in a fantastic position but need to make sure we get back to winning ways after the restart. We have a fantastic squad who should be more than capable of getting the 3/4 wins we need.

I'd be more worried if I were a relegation threatened team, losing our 1st choice defender than a team clear at the top, who have a squad to cope with that scenario and have the talent and tactics in the team to protect any absentee in defence. Zimbo is not a pacy left winger asking to play completely out of position. He knows how it works 

I'd like to know how many players from Watford Swansea and Brentford have away on international duty this coming 2 weeks?

...off the top of my head, I'd say half a dozen between them...we have double that alone

A good rest for their squads, finger nail biting for us.

Our whole spine of the team is away in Krul Hanley Skipp and Pukki

Praying for them to come back unscathed 🙏

50 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yet Rupp ( 1 PLAYER) being unavailable yesterday through injury gave you cause for concern.

And you still cant see why you get called out for this tripe.....preferring to refer to it as insults and name calling.......good grief.

That was a different thread on a different subject and I was - arguably quite rightly as it turned out - concerned whether  Buendia/Dowell/Cantwell was a good combination and although individually all three can do good things, that the balance might not be so good without a steadying influence like a Rupp/Vrancic/Stiepermann. But that is a different story for a different thread.

If you keep following me around trying to have a go, I'll just block you completely. It's a shame because you can be quite light hearted and funny at times, maybe just stick to that.

20 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd like to know how many players from Watford Swansea and Brentford have away on international duty this coming 2 weeks?

...off the top of my head, I'd say half a dozen between them...we have double that alone

This is a good point actually, Watford too. This isn't just a problem for us.

35 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I'd be more worried if I were a relegation threatened team, losing our 1st choice defender than a team clear at the top, who have a squad to cope with that scenario and have the talent and tactics in the team to protect any absentee in defence. Zimbo is not a pacy left winger asking to play completely out of position. He knows how it works 

Indeed, whilst I think Gibson has been a massive player for us, for a team in our position the loss of Pukki right now would be more problematic as it’s hunting wins and goals to get over the line. It’s pretty helpful we have 2 weeks for Zim to now be getting his head in the game and on the training pitch knowing he will have the responsibility of the CB berth to get us over the line. I think he is more than capable of doing us proud!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That was a different thread on a different subject and I was - arguably quite rightly as it turned out - concerned whether  Buendia/Dowell/Cantwell was a good combination and although individually all three can do good things, that the balance might not be so good without a steadying influence like a Rupp/Vrancic/Stiepermann. But that is a different story for a different thread.

If you keep following me around trying to have a go, I'll just block you completely. It's a shame because you can be quite light hearted and funny at times, maybe just stick to that.

Come on Lakey, how much credit can you actually take for that, over and above your normal reticence? You didn't offer any real tactical evidence, and  after the Wednesday and Wednesday(!)  performances, who could really have foresaw those 3 players not hitting their peak form?  Yesterday was ok but not great, but it wasn't because those three were playing in those positions as a unit. Emi and Todd have clicked many times this season, and it hasn't coincided with Rupp being there all the time, nor Dowell not being there all the time. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Crabbycanary3 said:

Come on Lakey, how much credit can you actually take for that, over and above your normal reticence? You didn't offer any real tactical evidence, and  after the Wednesday and Wednesday(!)  performances, who could really have foresaw those 3 players not hitting their peak form?  Yesterday was ok but not great, but it wasn't because those three were playing in those positions as a unit. Emi and Todd have clicked many times this season, and it hasn't coincided with Rupp being there all the time, nor Dowell not being there all the time. 

I mean we also created the opportunities to win the game with that 3 too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think of it this way, taking everything into account (injuries, points on the board, etc etc), is there a fan of any championshipship club this morning who would not happily swap their team's situation for ours? I very much doubt it.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Think of it this way, taking everything into account (injuries, points on the board, etc etc), is there a fan of any championshipship club this morning who would not happily swap their team's situation for ours? I very much doubt it.

That’s a good point if the OP said  “who would not happily swap their position for ours”  .

It actually says those thinking we have made it need to be mindful of injuries particularly in light of the two potentially serious injuries in the last two games and a very heavy game load coming up. 

If we don’t get any other injuries then I suspect we will be fine . 

In other news , would I swap for any other team in the Chump? Of course not . 

Nothing is going to scupper our season. We're on 83 points, 14 points clear of third place with only 8/9 games to go. Swansea and Brentford have only got 13 and 11 points (respectively) from their previous 9 games so, on current form, won't even surpass our current total. It would take an incredible set of results for us to only pick up another 8-10 points when we've been going at over 2 points per game for the rest of the season. If we stutter *and* Watford somehow win 5 or 6 of their last 8 then we could conceivably finish second. There is absolutely no possibility of us finishing lower.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The patronising tone of your reply says it all Lakeyo, block away, if you feel that allows you to spout tripe unchallenged. No loss to me . I call it as I see it.

Swansea lost to Cardiff, they and Brentford (Who have the only realistic chance of knocking us out of the top two) have 27 points to play for, we have 24. We are 14 and 15 points ahead of them.

The sort of collapse needed for us to not finish top 2 and/or the form they would need to overtake us is extremely unlikely based on evidence of the season so far.

Yes it’s not mathematically done but barring a bizarre scenario we are up. There’s quite a bit more chance of us losing the title though.

I hope Gibson, Rupp and any other injury isn’t serious enough to prevent them turning up for Preseason but at this point we have shown we have a strong depth in the squad and I’m not concerned personally.

Before yesterday's games we needed 18 points for promotion, now we need 14 so we effectively got 4 points from one set of fixtures. I'd say that's a good day.

If Watford beat us to the title they'll deserve it - they'll have to win at our place to do that, plus catch up another 5 or 6 points in the other 7 games. It's possible, but unlikely looking at the remaining games for both teams.

The injuries are more likely to scupper a few club records rather than promotion, ie clean sheets, number of points to name a couple. 
A bit of money to be made if you think 2 teams could catch us as some pretty good odds on us not going up being offered on Betfair.

Hourihane went off injured for Swansea early in the game yesterday. That must be a big concern for them.

Every team in this division would swap positions with us right now.

42 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Before yesterday's games we needed 18 points for promotion, now we need 14 so we effectively got 4 points from one set of fixtures. I'd say that's a good day.

If Watford beat us to the title they'll deserve it - they'll have to win at our place to do that, plus catch up another 5 or 6 points in the other 7 games. It's possible, but unlikely looking at the remaining games for both teams.

A good way to assess yesterday's results.

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Watford

Bachman - Austria

Troost Ekond - Nigeria

Sirelta - Chile

Ksbesele - Belgium

Cathcart - Northern Ireland

Masina - Morroco

Sarr - Senegal

Sema - Sweden

Grey - Jamaica

Wilmot - England U21

Its gonna be nerve wracking hoping for no injurys

Edited by Moosebadge
  • Thanks 2

Extreme pant wetting methinks and coming from me, that is serious critique.

Disappointed the 10 wins didn't materialize, but having watched extended highlights on Sky we created many opportunities but Blackburn and their keeper played extremely well a good point.

Giannoulous will be back after break, head injury yesterday but tried to continue fracture unlikely anyway Quintilla could cover.  Gibson injury looked serious and likely to miss rest of season but Zimm can cover.  Expect most to return from international break.  Grant and Kennt play on 31st in Scotland.  AArons and Skipp will bust a gut to continue appearance run.  Pukki will not play friendly.  

And our remaining fixtures are not against teams that will give us too much bother. Nine more points will be enough to clinch promotion by averaging 2 points per game.  However The players will want to win the Championship especially Skipp.  Don't forget our awesome attacking midfield.

Promotion is a certainty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Spot on sgnfc

I agree that we’re in a fantastic position, but we are Norwich with a history of finishing badly when in some decent league positions over the years! Last season was one of many over the years! 😂 That’s why many of us get a little nervous, but I do think we’ll get the points to confirm promotion in the next three games! Them relax!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1