lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Blackburn*****

Nyland, Mumba, Zimmermann, Quintilla, Tettey, Sorensen, Buendia, Rupp, Dowell, Cantwell, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Hugill

Only 1st team players not away on international duty or injured.

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Nyland, Mumba, Zimmermann, Quintilla, Tettey, Sorensen, Buendia, Rupp, Dowell, Cantwell, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Hugill

Good team 😉

7 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Rupp is injured

19 minutes ago, Moosebadge said:

Since Xisco took over

WATFORD

HOME

WWWLWWWWW

AWAY

LWDDWWLWW

We are on fire at mo, not lost by more than 1 all season. 

Watford have picked up exactly 0 points from away games against top 8 opponents.

8 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

And I'd still not Have Stiepermann anywhere near it

Weird that Farke definitely would then! Marco is a good player at this level.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

And I'd still not Have Stiepermann anywhere near it

Pleased you aren’t the manager

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Gallagher was by far the biggest threat. Many on here spotted it before the ball was crossed. Its worth pointing out defending these situations is still a weakness of ours

Believe me - I virtually KNEW that Blackburn were going to score from that free kick. The reason for that is - as I said - that both their centre halves had won headers in our box in the few minutes before that free-kick. The thing that then changed is that Blackburn brought on the 6ft4 Gallacher which gave them even more of an advantage in that department. At the time that free kick was awarded Sorensen was the third best header of a ball that we had on the pitch. We quite correctly put our two best headers of the ball - Gibson and Hanley in the middle of our goal - people moaning that Sorensen ended up having to compete in the air with Gallacher absolutely haven't got a clue!

I agree that defending these situation is RELATIVELY still a weakness or ours - but it always will be as long as we have a team with lots of short/aerially weak players such as Pukki/Buendia/Cantwell/Aarons etc in our team.

We could always 'do a Watford' and make sure that every outfield player is 6ft or over. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

We were always going to defend zonally as that has been very successful so far this season. Perhaps what they could have done is swap Sorensen and Hanley around when Gallagher took up his position.

I'll let you into a secret - if we had moved Hanley to where Gallagher was the sneaky blighter would have moved! 

• Haha 3

Post mortems on here. But we didn't lose and in 30 minutes time we might find our promotion prospects have improved.

You can’t win every game, dropping points is inevitable.  we now have a chance to rest those players not going away with their countries.
In terms of injuries, Rupp should be fine for the next game, and you’d think Giannoulis will be after a rest; the unknown one is Gibson.

30 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'll let you into a secret - if we had moved Hanley to where Gallagher was the sneaky blighter would have moved! 

Sneaky basta*rds! 

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

Watford have picked up exactly 0 points from away games against top 8 opponents.

We beat Cardiff last week.

1 minute ago, Moosebadge said:

We beat Cardiff last week.

They weren't top 8 when I posted that.

I thought we actually played better against Blackburn than we did against Sheffield Weds when we were rescued by two worldie finishes. Again in the Forest game, two very high quality finishes won it, despite our dominance. Yesterday, both Pukki and Buendia (twice) had much easier chances which were all saved by their keeper (who was their stand out player and got a 9 on their own forum). Mostly they go in, sometimes they don't.

Nothing has changed. Watford won't catch us.