lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Blackburn*****

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

You can't win them all. Pretty unlucky today. Blackburn were pretty average but rode their luck. Gutted about Gibson. Hopefully Zimmermann can do the job.

We should be okay with Zimmermann as long as somebody tells him that he actually has half a second less on the ball than he thinks he does when playing out from the back. 

Just now, horsefly said:

That ought to settle the issue; Rupp is our best option at no.10

I’d agree that Rupp has got to be top priority to play number 10 at the minute simply because of how well he played in the last game, but the whole team were significantly worse today from top to bottom, that’s clearly not just because of Rupp.

Similarly we were poor in the first half against sheff weds, took off Rupp for Dowell after equalising and got the winning goal.

Rupp was very very good against Forest don’t get me wrong; but the entire team also played out of their skin, so I don’t think you look at Rupp as the common denominator across the two games at all. I would wager he would’ve had a poor/average game (as he did against Sheff Weds) if he had played today. 

Blackburn were absolute bullies and I'm going to send a strongly worded letter of complaint to the Headmaster.....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not our best performance but we really should have won it.

4 clear cut chances compared to 0 for them.

Does their goal not count as a chance 😆

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

If Gibbo was still on the pitch I wonder if Gallagher would have got the gimme?.......

Yeah virtually a free header on the back stick. I suppose the positive is we allowed them to create little in open play.

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I’d agree that Rupp has got to be top priority to play number 10 at the minute simply because of how well he played in the last game, but the whole team were significantly worse today from top to bottom, that’s clearly not just because of Rupp.

Similarly we were poor in the first half against sheff weds, took off Rupp for Dowell after equalising and got the winning goal.

Rupp was very very good against Forest don’t get me wrong; but the entire team also played out of their skin, so I don’t think you look at Rupp as the common denominator across the two games at all. I would wager he would’ve had a poor/average game (as he did against Sheff Weds) if he had played today. 

True that the whole team had an off day. But Rupp has demonstrated many times this season that he has a very deft touch, has a great engine, and has an excellent pass completion perentage. Who knows whether he would have made a difference today, but we lacked that bit of pace, energy and nous in precisely that central position.  

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

If Gibbo was still on the pitch I wonder if Gallagher would have got the gimme?.......

Gibbo was still on the pitch for their corner. We were just going zonal, and Sorensen was left trying to mark a player a foot taller, 25 pounds heavier, with a running start. 

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yeah virtually a free header on the back stick. I suppose the positive is we allowed them to create little in open play.

Yes, that bit of set-piece defending was rather ‘last season’.  Was a rather unnecessary handball from Todd to give them the set-piece opportunity - not the best thinking from him there, for sure.

Just checked WC qualifiers no fixtures involving City players playing German or Polish sides Covid hot spots  

10 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Does their goal not count as a chance 😆

Doesn't class as 'clear cut' apparently 🙂 

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Gibbo was still on the pitch for their corner. We were just going zonal, and Sorensen was left trying to mark a player a foot taller, 25 pounds heavier, with a running start. 

We were always going to defend zonally as that has been very successful so far this season. Perhaps what they could have done is swap Sorensen and Hanley around when Gallagher took up his position.

Edited by horsefly

Another game in which the poorer opposition made 3-4 changes and it noticeably gave them a bit more zip- ultimately a sub won the free kick, took the free kick and scored the header.

Understand why Stiepermann got the nod but think such a tight game was probably the wrong time for him, given so long out.

Referee was also a total jackass.

However, we're still 8 clear and we didn't lose, you can't be too unhappy. Just very frustrating. 

Although that line up looked good on paper today I never like it when we start games with three no.10's behind Pukki. We often struggle to control the center and our attacks get too congested with similar players taking up similar positions and getting in each others way.

There's a much better balance to the side when we play more of a traditional center midfielder in the middle ahead of the holding two and as we retain the ball better it actually makes us more and not less attacking. 

I'm not getting on Farke's back about this because his hand was kind of forced with Rupp's injury, plus the form of Dowell, Cantwell and Buendia. But when given the option I don't think we should try to shoe horn in 3 number 10's again, next year especially as we'll get murdered in the PL.

Watford 4 away games are at Middboro, Luton. Norwich and Brentford.  Watford are poorer away from Vicarage Rd and none of these are easy they do not have our form in away games.

Xisco out of the running Watford lost against Bournemouth this month

23 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

We should be okay with Zimmermann as long as somebody tells him that he actually has half a second less on the ball than he thinks he does when playing out from the back. 

Could also tell him that he’s allowed to hit the ball quite hard when shooting at goal

Generally a poor game but our run had to end sometime. Lets hope the two injuries are not too bad.

Moving forward can't help but think we lacked some midfield control and composure. Vrancic.

Edited by Yellow Fever

21 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Another game in which the poorer opposition made 3-4 changes and it noticeably gave them a bit more zip- ultimately a sub won the free kick, took the free kick and scored the header.

Understand why Stiepermann got the nod but think such a tight game was probably the wrong time for him, given so long out.

Referee was also a total jackass.

However, we're still 8 clear and we didn't lose, you can't be too unhappy. Just very frustrating. 

Think Stiepermann played very well given his time out and probaby should have scored

48 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Or they could both be back the next game

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Never waste an opportunity for a good panic.

48 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Well it now seems to be between us, Watford and Swansea. Watford are the the more likely at the moment to get promoted and might still feel they could challenge us for the title. 

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Never waste an opportunity for a good panic.

38 minutes ago, WD40 said:

It wasn't a corner it was a free kick.

And all this talk about their goal is the sort of ridiculous after-timing that is so tiresome about this board.

If people had been paying close attention they would have noticed that both Lenihan and Harwood-Bellis had won headers in our box in the few minutes preceding their goal.

Quite simply we didn't have enough tall players to cover all their tall players. It was an excellent free kick from Elliot and we were always going to struggle to defend that situation if they put in a good delivery. 

We’re not going to win every match and if we don’t win, let’s mate sure we don’t lose. Assuming Swansea don’t beat Cardiff we’re another game down and the same point difference. This is currently 14 points!!!

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Think Stiepermann played very well given his time out and probaby should have scored

I'll not deny he had some good moments but he clearly had some cobwebs to blow away.

It's all just frustration, I don't think anyone is genuinely worried. As things stand, if we win 4 of our last 8 (not great form compared to the rest of our season) Watford would have to win 7/8 to pip us. If Swansea lose today they would have to win all 9!

40 minutes ago, pete said:

Watford 4 away games are at Middboro, Luton. Norwich and Brentford.  Watford are poorer away from Vicarage Rd and none of these are easy they do not have our form in away games.

Xisco out of the running Watford lost against Bournemouth this month

Since Xisco took over

WATFORD

HOME

WWWLWWWWW

AWAY

LWDDWWLWW

We are on fire at mo, not lost by more than 1 all season. 

Edited by Moosebadge

16 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It wasn't a corner it was a free kick.

And all this talk about their goal is the sort of ridiculous after-timing that is so tiresome about this board.

If people had been paying close attention they would have noticed that both Lenihan and Harwood-Bellis had won headers in our box in the few minutes preceding their goal.

Quite simply we didn't have enough tall players to cover all their tall players. It was an excellent free kick from Elliot and we were always going to struggle to defend that situation if they put in a good delivery. 

Gallagher was by far the biggest threat. Many on here spotted it before the ball was crossed. Its worth pointing out defending these situations is still a weakness of ours