Sign in to follow this  
interwebme

New number 10...

Emi Buendia. 

Sounds a bit mad, but why not? Dowel played well on the right, probably the best we've seen from him. Perhaps we should just leave him there. I'm not sure that we've seen Buendia in the centre, he's certainly got got all the skills to play there; control, dribbling, picking a pass and has a decent shot on him. 

Could be the dream team with Cantwell/Buendia/Dowell, but then we were so good against Forest, that at the moment is the dream team, so imo the same team should start against Blackburn.

I never fail to be staggered at how some of our fans get so hung up on this. If you watch us play you will see that when we are attacking our attacking players are totally fluid in the positions they take up and are constantly moving and interchanging. When we're attacking Buendia really doesn't 'play on the right'. Sure, sometimes he gets the ball out there - but almost as often he'll be in the centre and quite often he'll be on the left. The same goes for all the others. Cantwell plays on the left we're often told - but look at the goals he's scored recently at Sheffield Wednesday and at home to Stoke - on both occasions he scored from positions on the right.

Before anybody misconstrues what I'm saying I would add that when we are out of possession you will then usually see our attacking players defending on the sides on which they notionally play - Buendia on the right and Cantwell on the left. 

• Like 5

I don't think you can just drop Rupp after his excellent performance on Wednesday. It's not a simple swap. Maybe we should drop Gibson and just play with one CB so we can play with an extra midfielder?

Buendia is able to pick up pockets of space better further out wide than in the middle and him being able to drift in with the ball is often the key trigger for Pukki to make a diagonal run. It makes no sense to change it and surely by now people realise that everything Farke does is for a reason? The secondary point which was made well by Parma previously is that Emi is one of our best offensive pressers of the ball which is invaluable against an opponent's full back or winger.

Emi has a terrific understanding with Aarons as well so that makes him ideal to play as inside forward on the right. Todd is working on his own partnership with Giannoulis of similar standard.

Am I right in thinking we've had the dream Todd, Dowell, Emi combo once already and it was all a little congested? 3 very similar type players in some ways. Having someone like Rupp in there adds a bit of a different vibe.

Hopefully we have a few games spare come the end of next month where we can experiment a bit

Could almost feel a bit sorry for Rupp. He's really shown up very well this season having had a preseason (of sorts) under his belt so work on sharpness after such a long-term injury and more pertinently, playing in a better position within a side that's found its confidence again. Can definitely see why they bought him in.

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Even ignoring the tactical side of things, I just don't see why on earth you'd decide to change our best player's position when he's having such a phenomenal season.

Pretty much this.

Also, Emi is actually statistically one of our better defensive players, he needs to be sitting deeper than a no10 to be as effective as he is

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I never fail to be staggered at how some of our fans get so hung up on this. If you watch us play you will see that when we are attacking our attacking players are totally fluid in the positions they take up and are constantly moving and interchanging. When we're attacking Buendia really doesn't 'play on the right'. Sure, sometimes he gets the ball out there - but almost as often he'll be in the centre and quite often he'll be on the left. The same goes for all the others. Cantwell plays on the left we're often told - but look at the goals he's scored recently at Sheffield Wednesday and at home to Stoke - on both occasions he scored from positions on the right.

Before anybody misconstrues what I'm saying I would add that when we are out of possession you will then usually see our attacking players defending on the sides on which they notionally play - Buendia on the right and Cantwell on the left. 

steady old fellow, you'll upset the 'formation fannies' who will have that each player has his allotted space determined by the number sequence the manager has decreed

It is the ongoing play that actually determines where a player is in relation to the ball and the opposition

Unfortunately this fairly obvious fact is not complicated enough for the 'johnny-come-lately' type of fan and so they conjure up this nonsense along with meaningless stats that somehow explain what is a relatively simple game

ps take note of how far and often Aarons strays from his allotted space. Against Forest he was to be seen on the 'left wing' a number of times

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Thank god you added the last bit TL as there are some on here who don't believe you need any kind of formation on the pitch and it's a big free for all and the players can decide for themselves where they want to play.

Having a fluid approach to attacking is essential but there is still a formation, if not you'll end up with everyone following the ball like a bunch of 5yr olds and we get exposed.

There were times on Wednesday when Air-ons ended up left because his run took him that way, however, when he did someone dropped to cover or we shifted across to close the gap.

Some on here think that we have to be rigid in set positions, others on here think it's a free for all, it's actually a structured version of both which is why it works so well and is hard to play against.

Aarons can't do that in a team that isn't disciplined otherwise we'd always be exposed down our defending left etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

steady old fellow, you'll upset the 'formation fannies' who will have that each player has his allotted space determined by the number sequence the manager has decreed

It is the ongoing play that actually determines where a player is in relation to the ball and the opposition

Can someone else handle it this time, please?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Thank god you added the last bit TL as there are some on here who don't believe you need any kind of formation on the pitch and it's a big free for all and the players can decide for themselves where they want to play.

Having a fluid approach to attacking is essential but there is still a formation, if not you'll end up with everyone following the ball like a bunch of 5yr olds and we get exposed.

There were times on Wednesday when Air-ons ended up left because his run took him that way, however, when he did someone dropped to cover or we shifted across to close the gap.

Some on here think that we have to be rigid in set positions, others on here think it's a free for all, it's actually a structured version of both which is why it works so well and is hard to play against.

Aarons can't do that in a team that isn't disciplined otherwise we'd always be exposed down our defending left etc.

aha, the old make up something and reply to that instead ploy

players do not drop down to cover, as it would mean them then leaving their place in the formation to do so

TL's post was questioning the supposed no 10 myth, perhaps you could stop copying hand crank and actually reply to ehat is posted ie the supposed 'number 10'

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

Buendia is able to pick up pockets of space better further out wide than in the middle and him being able to drift in with the ball is often the key trigger for Pukki to make a diagonal run. It makes no sense to change it and surely by now people realise that everything Farke does is for a reason? The secondary point which was made well by Parma previously is that Emi is one of our best offensive pressers of the ball which is invaluable against an opponent's full back or winger.

He can do that as essentially being out wide he has one opponent watching him, in the 10 position it's much more congested so less space to operate in.

13 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Emi has a terrific understanding with Aarons as well so that makes him ideal to play as inside forward on the right. Todd is working on his own partnership with Giannoulis of similar standard.

Am I right in thinking we've had the dream Todd, Dowell, Emi combo once already and it was all a little congested? 3 very similar type players in some ways. Having someone like Rupp in there adds a bit of a different vibe.

Hopefully we have a few games spare come the end of next month where we can experiment a bit

Think this happened second half at reading. Looked excellent iirc.

As noted above, there were times Aarons was in the attacking left position against Forest and their commentators were befuddled by how dizzying our midfield rotation was.

One of Skipps biggest assets is his awareness to fill in gaps left by this rotation, which is why our system is so difficult to combat now. There just always seems to be another Norwich player.

Edited by Mason 47
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

As noted above, there were times Aarons was in the attacking left position against Forest and their commentators were befuddled by how dizzying out midfield rotation was.

One of Skipps biggest assets is his awareness to fill in gaps left by this rotation, which is why our system is so difficult to combat now. There just always seems to be another Norwich player.

I'm quite a fan of this 'marauding fullback' tactic, and you're absolutely right that Skipp is integral to making it successful; in fact the midfield discipline required to allow this level of fluidity is significant with the no 10 having to drop deeper when required as well. It's the sort of thing that's easy to get wrong though, so I always get anxious when the fullback crosses the horizontal centre of the pitch. And it's probably why we're better off with Rupp at no 10 than Dowell.

Max actually had 5 shots against Forest and caused them all sorts of problems. As long as it's done with discretion then I'm all for it.

14 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yes I think most Norwich fans understand this concept. 

We do, however, have to nominally accept that players occupy a certain area of the pitch more than others. If you were to look at a heat map Emi would spend more time on the right than the left for example. No one thinks that he's limited to an imaginary box on the right side! 

This all detracts from the point a bit which is that Emi could thrive, more than he is already, in a more central role. Which would then allow Dowell a role focused on the right. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I doubt it , after all he is the BILL OF RIGHTS. 😉

I feel the OP has been treated slightly harshly. We all know what Emi does and why Farke plays him there but I think the OP was simply suggesting that we have three excellent number 10s in Cantwell, Buendia and Dowell... why not play one of them in the middle? Dowell played well on the right vs Forest, doing largely what Emi does, so he made the obvious suggestion for Emi to play in the middle to fit them all in. Not a ridiculous idea. 

The question I would have is, if none of our three best CAMs should play in the number 10 role, what type of player is Farke looking to play there? Someone like Stiepermann, who can do the more physical side of things? Or a player like Rupp, Vrancic or McLean, who are a bit more technical? 

As I think most would agree, it is an area that we should look to invest in when we go up and I would hope that we sign someone who is a goal threat. We relied far too heavily on Pukki last year for goals. Cantwell did OK and Buendia only got one. Whilst I have full faith that they will do better next year, that number 10 needs to be pitching in with 5-10 goals IMO. I think it was what Duda was meant to come in and do, but miserably failed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Unfortunately this fairly obvious fact is not complicated enough for the 'johnny-come-lately' type of fan and so they conjure up this nonsense along with meaningless stats that somehow explain what is a relatively simple game

ps take note of how far and often Aarons strays from his allotted space. Against Forest he was to be seen on the 'left wing' a number of times

Once.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

aha, the old make up something and reply to that instead ploy

players do not drop down to cover, as it would mean them then leaving their place in the formation to do so

TL's post was questioning the supposed no 10 myth, perhaps you could stop copying hand crank and actually reply to ehat is posted ie the supposed 'number 10'

You alright princess?

I replied to what TL had put and gave my opinion on it, appreciate that might differ from your expert never played the game knowledge but nonetheless I hadn't made anything up.

What you didn't like is that yet again the nonsense you have posted has shown you up to what you are, clueless and obnoxious.

Anyone who has played the game or indeed has a brain knows that if someone pushes on or ends up out of position then another player covers, I see Mason stated the same thing but you'd not commented on that strangely.

Now scurry back under that rock where you've been hiding before you make a fool of yourself on yet another thread.

Edited by Rich T The Biscuit

25 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Never mind about a new no 10, who will be dropped to accommodate Emi?

Rupp's injured, so easy decision for Farke!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the solution. I have the dream solution.

Make an exception to the model for the exceptional no10 position. 

Offer a 1 year contract - which suits all parties - to the out-of-contract Juan Mata. 

Expensive for 1 year. Perhaps even offer a coaching pathway.

What an extraordinary example, role model and demonstrator of the real level to aspire to.

Sometimes you need to look a long way upwards to find the standards required. 

My Father tells me that Martin Peters did something similar for us. 

The Premier league is exceptional. Time for one or two exceptions. 

Parma 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Nah, I'm out.

4 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

You alright princess?

I replied to what TL had put and gave my opinion on it, appreciate that might differ from your expert never played the game knowledge but nonetheless I hadn't made anything up.

What you didn't like is that yet again the nonsense you have posted has shown you up to what you are, clueless and obnoxious.

Anyone who has played the game or indeed has a brain knows that if someone pushes on or ends up out of position then another player covers, I see Mason stated the same thing but you'd not commented on that strangely.

Now scurry back under that rock where you've been hiding before you make a fool of yourself on yet another thread.

Don't make it too obvious HC..................................maybe let bagster have a go 😏

Todd and Emi excellent defensive attacking midfielders, not so sure Dowell fits this role and maybe hindered by his mobility, expect he will be 10 tomorrow.  

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

Don't make it too obvious HC..................................maybe let bagster have a go 😏

Seriously, does anyone have any idea what this means 🤷🏻‍♂️

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nah, I'm out.

Better leave it to Mason this time as he posted about Skipp covering for the players out of the position and wasn't corrected over it, so he may get through to him 🤔