Please could some of the much valued geeks on this board now start to help piece together the picture of how our players may be involved . 

My understanding is that up to 8 players could be involved . Those players will leave us after the Blackburn game on Saturday and report back having played as late as Wednesday 31st , at the earliest the Thursday , before we play Preston on good Friday 2nd April. Neither Preston nor EFL will move the game . 

Players could play in three games? 

So who are the players and who are their countries playing , and where ? 

Anyone with a bit of time on their hands? 

6 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Finland only have 2 games in this break 

2nd match on 28th March, so Teemu will have a short rest 

Finland have a friendly too.

42FAF564-7EB4-4FB7-832E-2FB80F7A712E.jpeg

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

3 hours ago, Chip20 said:

I haven't re-read it but I think most of it was covered in the article at https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-preston-north-end-frustrations-7827114

Thanks Chip. It concentrates on the last game - but it misses the point that these players have to play three games in a few days. It’s ridiculous. 

• Like 1

It's Teemu Pukki that I am always most concerned about.

He's a tough one for sure, emphasised by the workload he puts in throughout a tough schedule ... even often playing on through niggling injuries like the toe problem he had some time ago whilst being  bastion for his country and for Norwich City.

When you think he must be jaded by it all he just gets on with it in his usual machine-like manner. 

At 31 there must be a limit though and I'm hoping it doesn't get reached by these three quick games for Finland, before having to embark upon our tough run-in.

His energy and seeming immunity from serious injury are remarkable, but he is always the first I want to know about after each international break.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

He's a tough one for sure, emphasised by the workload he puts in throughout a tough schedule ... even often playing on through niggling injuries like the toe problem he had some time ago whilst being  bastion for his country and for Norwich City.

When you think he must be jaded by it all he just gets on with it in his usual machine-like manner. 

At 31 there must be a limit though and I'm hoping it doesn't get reached by these three quick games for Finland, before having to embark upon our tough run-in.

His energy and seeming immunity from serious injury are remarkable, but he is always the first I want to know about after each international break.

Me too. Can imagine him getting  singled out as the threat and getting some attention from Bos Herz and Ukraine defenders. 
We need to beat Blackburn...

I would be surprised that following 2 WC qualifiers Pukki plays in the friendly. Finland's other striker (Forss?) plays for Brentford, so expect a couple of withdrawals, hopefully.

Finland usually plays 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, and I'd expect that Pukki and Pohjanpalo are the likely pair of forward starters for qualifier games. Pohjanpalo is likely to be subbed earlier for Forss and Pukki to play full minutes.

I'd expect that Forss and Karjalainen will start the friendly and Pukki might get 15 minutes or so from the bench. At least that would be bit in line with earlier occasions where there has been Nations League matches and friendlies near each others.  Might of course be and I really hope so, that he will even be given full rest from friendly considering the situation.

I'd imagine Pukki will probably be rested for the friendly on the 31st, as it'll be a chance for the manager to try out some of the fringe players although it is likely Pukki will stay with the squad until the end of course.

Hanley/McLean aren't guaranteed starters

Aarons/Skipp I'd imagine will definitely feature for England

Greece have 3 matches too, I'd expect Dimi will probably feature in the friendly at the very least

Placheta isn't a guaranteed starter either, but obviously hasn't featured for us much recently so less of an impact for him

1 hour ago, AJ said:

I'd imagine Pukki will probably be rested for the friendly on the 31st, as it'll be a chance for the manager to try out some of the fringe players although it is likely Pukki will stay with the squad until the end of course.

Hanley/McLean aren't guaranteed starters

Aarons/Skipp I'd imagine will definitely feature for England

Greece have 3 matches too, I'd expect Dimi will probably feature in the friendly at the very least

Placheta isn't a guaranteed starter either, but obviously hasn't featured for us much recently so less of an impact for him

Hanley is key to us - I hope he doesn’t play, but he has been brilliant for us this year , which can’t have gone unnoticed. 
Does Dimi usually start? My knowledge of the Greece national side it limited. 

19 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Hanley is key to us - I hope he doesn’t play, but he has been brilliant for us this year , which can’t have gone unnoticed. 
Does Dimi usually start? My knowledge of the Greece national side it limited. 

Mine isn't great either, I've just looked it up and he's played the full 90 of all 7 of their last competitive games that he was available for (he missed 2 in November due to injury).

He also missed their most recent friendly. 

So it'll be the other way around to what I said most likely, 2 games for him as well!

Edited by AJ
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Can't see Pukki playing in the friendly v the Swiss.Think have thought the club would have had a quiet word!!!

Pukki a finnish hero can dictate which games he will play will not risk his fitness by playing friendly.

Other players called up are Max and Skipp Eng U21, Placheta Pol, Giannoulis Gr, Grant and Kenny Scot, Tim Hol, and Jacob Den u21 all of these face a possible 3 games final one 31/3.  Expect first team regulars will look to find solutions to enable them make Preston game.  Max and Skipp ever present will not want to miss out.

• Thanks 1

Finland has removed one striker (Rasmus Karjalainen) from squad due to injury. Bit lightweight on number of forwards now (3), so increases likelihood that Pukki might play in friendly as well. Unless some of the AMs will be used in more forward position.