Sign in to follow this  
NCFChapman

Giannoulis

What a signing he has been! Only took a couple of games to settle and get up to speed on Farkeball and after that he's put in a good performance every game. Not worried at all about going into the PL with him as first choice left back, he's still young enough to improve and seems a great guy too.

Edited by NCFChapman
  • Like 5

He's an improvement on Lewis. Technically better by some way and more aggressive going forward with the ball.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's an improvement on Lewis. Technically better by some way and more aggressive going forward with the ball.

And coming in a lot cheaper than lewis, so a nice little profit and a better player to boot. A win win i would say .

Edited by Dame to Blame

Not saying Gibson is better than Godfrey but to improve our defence this much while making £25mil profit in the process is one of the many examples of how lucky we are 💛💚

• Like 1

Wasn't sure until last night tbh but thought he looked as though it had all clicked. I think he realised its not always how fast you run forward but where you run. 

47 minutes ago, NCFChapman said:

Not saying Gibson is better than Godfrey but to improve our defence this much while making £25mil profit in the process is one of the many examples of how lucky we are 💛💚

All about opinions . In terms of ability and leadership on the field would take Gibson every time .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NCFChapman said:

It's not luck though, it's the club's plan in action!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's not luck though, it's the club's plan in action!

By lucky, I was implying how fortunate we are as fans to have a club with this amazing set up with webber at the helm.

Edited by NCFChapman

When Lewis made his PL debut he only had about 1.5 seasons worth of Championship in his experience level. I believe Giannoulis has several seasons of the Greek 1st tier, although I don’t know how strong that is in comparison to the PL/Championship and several seasons of Champions/Europa League.

He didn’t have a great start but then of course he needed time to settle in with his new club and get used to English football. For just £6.2m he should be a bargain of a replacement for Lewis. Showing great now though and recently there was an article on here saying that Giannoulis thinks he still has more to offer to us. If he does that would be fantastic

• Like 1

Not heard much recently from those that said he was our 3rd best left back and not cut for the championship...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Branston said:

All about opinions . In terms of ability and leadership on the field would take Gibson every time .

I agree that Gibson is better for us - his experience is invaluable and he has formed a solid partnership with Hanley. Godfrey however has the attributes to be a better player, and is more likely to get an England call-up in the future.

Coming into a side that was performing well mid-season, whilst adapting to living abroad for the first time, new tactics, new coaches, new expectations etc. was never going to be easy. He looked a bit iffy in his first few games but that was to be expected, however he's grown game-by-game and you can see why several bigger clubs than us have been sniffing around him in the last couple of years.

8 hours ago, NCFChapman said:

Defence is one of the areas in which experience is vital. Godfrey has a higher ceiling than Gibson (who is in his absolute prime), but I don't think it's any coincidence that our defence has got better as the average age has gone up.

Edited by Mr.Carrow
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Defence is one of the areas in which experience is vital. Godfrey has a higher ceiling than Gibson (who is in his absolute prime), but I don't think it's any coincidence that our defence has got better as the average age has gone up.

Agreed, though I don't believe Lewis will substantially exceed Giannoulis in his career. 

A premier league, international LB for a snip at around £7M. 

Another brilliant piece of business by Webber - I really don't want Webber to leave!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

I agree that Gibson is better for us - his experience is invaluable and he has formed a solid partnership with Hanley. Godfrey however has the attributes to be a better player, and is more likely to get an England call-up in the future.

Be great to see Godfrey achieve this and for Gibson to get back in the England squad again .

11 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

The difference between having a player who is ready as opposed to a playing who is still learning their trade. Godfrey's mistakes impact Everton far less as he has better players around him to soak up those mistakes, there's no doubt he'll most likely go on to play for England in the future, and he'll deserve it too.

For us, Gibson has been phenomenal. Hanley was always decent, but with an experience leader alongside him the defence is so much calmer. Gibson's passing ability is also brilliant, and now with Dimi on the left we are far better balanced as a whole. This was one of the biggest issues last season, we had 3 young players in our back 4, you have to accept they will make mistakes and unfortunately a lot of the time as a defender that leads to conceding. We don't have that issue now, and it shows in the clean sheets stats. We've only conceded 3 goals since Dimi's arrival! Positionally we're better, we've got more height to defend set pieces and we don't have players that will panic. No disrespect to Jamal who I also think will go on to have a decent career, but Dimi is definitely looking like a big step up

• Like 1

I just wish Giannoulis would sometimes take a defender on, on the outside and get a cross in rather than keep passing inside, he could become predictable 

13 hours ago, hogesar said:

Not heard much recently from those that said he was our 3rd best left back and not cut for the championship...

Another example of a knee jerk reaction that seems so common nowadays.

I think Dimi is a great player. However it’s a bit sad how people are so quick to trash players after they leave. Jamal was great for us and had plenty left to develop further. I seem to remember that both he and Max were in the championship team of the season 2 years ago. 

• Like 1