Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Fred

Points required

11 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

So how many more points do we need to get us promoted.

Purples view is always a must have 

Around 9 for promotion and 13 to guarantee the title.

Edited by Midlands Yellow

If we win Saturday and 2 of the other 3 drop points and bearing in mind they all have to play each other, we are almost promoted bar the shouting. 
I would have predicted the Huddersfield game as the day we got promoted but the Preston debacle is throwing a spanner in the works. 
wouldn’t it be nice to win the title by beating Watford on the 20/4.

• Like 1

98 is the target at the moment, so another 16 would mathmatically be enough. However this will decline as others drop points. I suspect 90 points will secure promotion and 95 the title.

• Thanks 1

I've been saying it for a while: only one team will get over 90 points, with third place likely on or around 86. We need just two more wins and two more draws from our final 9 games. I suspect we'll finish closer to 100 than to 90 anyway.

Swansea and Brentford have each dropped more than 10 points in their last 10 games, so I see no reason to expect them to suddenly both go on 10 match winning runs. Watford are on a good run so they might well match our results for the remainder of the season and end up the same 10 points behind us that they are now.

As before - At best Swansea (now 3rd) say 2pts game with 10 games left - auto promotion form

89 points max.

Trouble is we won't know what the 3rd place is until the last game so 90 is next target and with hindsight will eventually look well over the top. 

9 more points will put us on 91 and no team has ever failed to get automatic promotion 91pts, although only once has a team failed on 90pts. For the title I reckon 13-14, to put our tally into the mid-nineties which should do it.

I’m hoping that we don’t give the season up until the full time whistle goes against Barnsley as I would love to see us try and get as many points as possible, even if we do win the title before the end of the season. The required amount may very well turn out to be less, I’m just playing it safe 

27 points still at stake and only 18 required to reach a magical 100 so it is in the bag to get promoted well in front of those attempting to chase us down. It will be sooner rather than later.

P.S.Good to see you back Uncle Fred as i have been concerned for your well being recently.

Last time we went up, 3rd place Leeds had 83 points  🤣, so theoretically 84 points would have been enough.  When we had a thread like this, no one said 84 points !!

Really it's irrelevant, at the moment we keep on remorselessly and there's no way we should end up only just scraping promotion.   Chances are 87 or 88 points will be enough, do you think DF would really be ok if we end up only getting 6 more points !?

The only reason for us not to get to 100 points (i.e. another 18) is if we slack off once promotion is certain.  Which is entirely possible, the guys are human.  Have we ever got to 100 points ?  Pretty sure not, would be kind of fun.

So I'm gonna say 88 points, 

Reading have the record for the most points at this level-106. Shall we try and beat that? 

• Like 1

3 wins should do it but I think we genuinely are just playing one game at a time. I think the thought is, if we keep winning it won't matter a jot.

It would be nice to beat our previous best 94 points and 100 sounds even better but all that really matters is we get promoted.

I don’t think Reading’s record is in danger particularly if Farke’s mate at Barnsley needs three points on the last day 😉

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Reading have the record for the most points at this level-106. Shall we try and beat that? 

That could take some time. Probably stand until they change it to five points for a win.

Said all along 3rd place will get 84, so a win on Saturday is when we'll look back at the end of the season as to when we actually got promoted. 

15 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Said all along 3rd place will get 84, so a win on Saturday is when we'll look back at the end of the season as to when we actually got promoted. 

That's suggesting Swansea will drop 15 points, or in other words failing to win 5 of their remaining 10 games which seems unlikely as they've only lost 7 all season. I think they will get more than 84, perhaps 87

Looking at the teams below us, Watford, Swansea Brentford and Barnsley are all on decent form although not as good as ours.  Most of them could easily average 2 PPG for the rest of the season, and although one of them might go on a better run than this, it's unlikely more than one will.  So one of them might just nudge over 90 points but I expect the others will all be somewhere in the 80 point range.  So I think 88 or 89 points will be enough and I can't see us ending up below 90 now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

That's suggesting Swansea will drop 15 points, or in other words failing to win 5 of their remaining 10 games which seems unlikely as they've only lost 7 all season. I think they will get more than 84, perhaps 87

Swansea aren't all that, been lucky lately. I stand by my prediction 😁

I just did one of those league calculator things and I thought I was being quite realistic with Brentford, Swansea and Watford's remaining fixtures. And with that, I have them finishing on;

Swansea  89

Watford 88

Brentford 85

So 8 points could do it. Astonishing really. I think a win tomorrow and the other teams will forget about us completely.

I did ours and have us finishing on 97.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 2