Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Brum goings on

A look at what has been going wrong at Brum

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2021/mar/17/birmingham-city-tale-of-endless-turmoil-lee-bowyer-manager

This should not come as any surprise

"Scattergun recruitment led to exorbitant spending during Redknapp’s reign in 2017, with top earners on about £30,000 a week and a wage bill totalling £38m for 2017-18. "

and from having Coventry as lodgers they now have

"To cap it all, the stadium, sold for £22.8m last year to a company controlled by the owner Paul Suen Cho Hung is no longer fit for purpose. A routine inspection by Birmingham city council in December found two stands – the Tilton and the Kop – failed to satisfy safety guidelines and there are major doubts as to whether they will be fixed in time for the expected return of fans next season"

How did clubs like this get into such a mess ?  So many borrow for short term success, only for that borrowing to bite them hard on the arz a few seasons later

Thank god for Delia, and the others involved, who took the route they did

• Like 3

So many clubs have fallen from grace trying to make it work in the prem.

We have certainly taken an odd approach with all the yo-yoing but if it solidifies the future of our club by being sustainable then so be it. It is obviously working, because we've gone from relying on finding basement gems to potentially signing an international LB and established Premier League CB for £8 million a piece this summer. That just wouldn't have been possible a few seasons ago. Webber deserves a huge amount of credit, as does Ed Balls. A lot of people say how well run we are as a club, and yes it is probably stunting our chances of success but equally there's so many examples out there now where it just doesn't work if you throw a huge amount of money at the wall and hope the mud sticks. In ways we were one of them, thanks to the whole RVW debacle, but gladly we've recovered well from it and have a steady ship.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Their issues stem back to that ill fated gamble they took in the prem, but Harry Redknapp will always spell trouble for a club 

Absolutely - he can spend other people's money for fun. 

Carson Yeung's takeover started the rot.

Birmingham, second city of the Empire, had been a decent club in and out of the First Division always in the shadow of Villa.

But the joy they had when Yeung talked of £50M for players never appeared because he was about to end up in court for money laundering.

Then there was Redknapp and his usual tactic of spending big, paying big waged and then clearing off. How he is so revered in football is beyond me.

It is now getting harder for even so called big clubs to recover let alone medium ones like Brum.

There are already commentators on other sites telling us that we have to spend money this time to at least make an effort to survive. It is such lazy clickbait garbage and just shows how ignorant people are, who do not even try to understand. That moron in the Daily Mail being the worst of them, plus idiots like Robbie Savage.

I really am not looking forward to next season with all that and VAR as well.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Their issues stem back to that ill fated gamble they took in the prem, but Harry Redknapp will always spell trouble for a club 

It's almost as if he has his grubby little paws in the deals/contracts

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

but Harry Redknapp will always spell trouble for a club 

What a load of rubbish.  Take pot shots at the owners or board of directors.  Or the FA who allow foreign owners and crooks to infiltrate our game and bankrupt clubs.  

Redknapp might be everyone's cup of tea, but anyone who's managed nearly 1,400 games across all levels of the game and often on very limited budgets, deserves more respect than stupid, thoughtless comments like that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

There are already commentators on other sites telling us that we have to spend money this time to at least make an effort to survive. It is such lazy clickbait garbage and just shows how ignorant people are, who do not even try to understand. That moron in the Daily Mail being the worst of them, plus idiots like Robbie Savage.

Maybe being naive but I really hope that there are enough fans who can see the bigger picture to drown out the moaners next season (if we go up). Let's face it, if we have the ridiculous injuries we had last season we'll come straight back down again. If not (and it seems maybe they've tweaked things behind the scenes to reduce them) and we strengthen in a clever way, we definitely have a chance as long as we don't have fans trying to create Armageddon when we lose a few games.

The club is getting stronger year on year and the pipeline of young talent is growing. Moulding that into a Premier League side is tough, but we're definitely getting closer.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

That doesn't narrow the field down nearly enough to identify who you mean...🤓

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

You mean loveable ‘Arry , with his rolly polly, and accountant dog? Surely not ? He is a mainstay of the English football establishment, and a loveable go to for light entertainment programs 

Why , I even saw him on Ant and Dec last Saturday ! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kingston Yellow said:

What a load of rubbish.  Take pot shots at the owners or board of directors.  Or the FA who allow foreign owners and crooks to infiltrate our game and bankrupt clubs.  

Redknapp might be everyone's cup of tea, but anyone who's managed nearly 1,400 games across all levels of the game and often on very limited budgets, deserves more respect than stupid, thoughtless comments like that.

Classic bit of UKIP style pseudo racist claptrap there - foreigners 'infiltrating' our game. Considering running for Norfolk's Police and Crime Commissioner are we?

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/pcc-candidate-claims-immigrants-behind-sexual-assaults-moreland-7830400

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Classic bit of UKIP style pseudo racist claptrap there - foreigners 'infiltrating' our game. Considering running for Norfolk's Police and Crime Commissioner are we?

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/pcc-candidate-claims-immigrants-behind-sexual-assaults-moreland-7830400

That's one of looking at things.  However, a sensible and balanced way of looking at things is that Birmingham and Portsmouth have both been bought and bankrupt by foreign convicted criminals.  

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I love the way a furriner infiltrates the game . Presumably it all starts when you get a tap on the shoulder at a cocktail party whilst up at Cambridge? 

A friend of my son's was genuinely recruited that way, as recently as 2010 (though not at Cambridge). My lad was furious that he wasn't tapped too as his grades were better, but he didn't go to the right school......

Remember, they are always watching....🧐

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

A friend of my son's was genuinely recruited that way, as recently as 2010 (though not at Cambridge). My lad was furious that he wasn't tapped too as his grades were better, but he didn't go to the right school......

Remember, they are always watching....🧐

Your friend's son was recruited to the KGB??  Must we always refer to him as 'The Sixth Man' from now on? 

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Your friend's son was recruited to the KGB??  Must we always refer to him as 'The Sixth Man' from now on? 

Well almost, but on our side - at least I think he is, but who knows?  Intriguingly he now works in Beijing doing something with IT so maybe he's infiltrating the Chinese Super League.

12 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

That's one of looking at things.  However, a sensible and balanced way of looking at things is that Birmingham and Portsmouth have both been bought and bankrupt by foreign convicted criminals.  

Is Redknapp foreign ?

Or is it just the bank accounts he keeps his payments in.....Rosie  🤔

2 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Often on very limited budgets 😂 ok.

Keep your insults to yourself, I’ll talk with facts, not petty name calling.

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

29 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Well almost, but on our side - at least I think he is, but who knows?  Intriguingly he now works in Beijing doing something with IT so maybe he's infiltrating the Chinese Super League.

There is a book/film/play in there somewhere sgncfc. I claim my 10% 

2 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

I see what you’re getting at....but no.

Harry is average at best. The reason he was involved with clubs who could only offer limited budgets and managed across all levels of the game is because he isn’t that good of a manager and most of those clubs were desperate; Tottenham being the exception.

He has spent stupid money everywhere he has gone because he thinks he can buy victory, rather than coaching it.

In fact, he has lost more games as a manager than he’s won and collectively his teams have allowed more goals than they have scored. 

If he was any good, he’d actually be managing a team right now, not ‘retired’.

Edited by CirclePoint

Making too much money playing the good guy on TV to manage football clubs 

Lined up to play Baron Hardup in Xmas Panto

Redknapp is the most overrated manager on the planet. Wheeler Deeler. Happy to spend other peoples money then disappear. Happy to join Southampton from Portsmouth and then return to Portsmouth when he didn't get his own way there. Almost single handedly destroyed Portsmouth, QPR and Birmingham. Took a huge payment to manage the mighty Jordan then moaned about lack of quality / not being able to sign players like Ronaldo when he lost the game, then quit! An absolute muppet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

At least he was until you posted this...

Just shows that heart and passion are more important than deep pockets alone. Yes it would be nice if Delia's could sell a few more cook books but I trust her, she'd never sell the club down the river or do anything to intentionally harm it. Money can't buy that.

17 hours ago, Bill said:

It's almost as if he has his grubby little paws in the deals/contracts

West Ham signed a defender from the Balkans for £7m. Unfortunately the accounts of the selling club showed a figure of £5m.  Hmmmm.......