Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Carlton Morris

5 goals in 13 games for Barnsley, think this could be one we live to regret with target men typically peaking in their late 20's?

Pleased for him regardless, but can he feel a bit hard done by to have never been given a chance here when arguably worse players have been used? 

He was long highly rated by the club and his qualites were always more than a apparent, nice quick feet and a turn of pace for a big man, and plays like Holt with his back to goal by drawing the foul. 

0 goals in 6 games for that fraud of a footballer Josip Drmic in the Croatian League, which must surely be no better than the SPL. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I think the fact we held onto him so long suggests we thought he stood a chance. Well, that and we've probably made some decent money on him in loan fees.

The problem is with us looking like going up into the Prem I just think we're likely to outgrow him. I also think there's a chance his move has been a 'perfect storm' scenario with Barnsley in good form and him thriving off it. I don't see him as being a regular 20 goal Championship striker.

• Like 1

Wouldnt it be just football for him to score the winning goal on the last day of the season to deny us automatic promotion and drop us to 3rd...whilst sealing Barnsley a playoff place in 6th

....and then score the winning goal against us in the playoffs the following week...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Wouldnt it be just football for him to score the winning goal on the last day of the season to deny us automatic promotion and drop us to 3rd...whilst sealing Barnsley a playoff place in 6th

....and then score the winning goal against us in the playoffs the following week...

If we allow ourselves to get in that position from where we are we'd deserve it!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Blimey GJL a few of us are cautious but this is taking the biscuit! 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It would not be football. I cannot describe what it would be on a public forum.

See also Chris Martin. A decent player at this level, but as hogesar says, we are outgrowing him. I’d love to see him go up with Barnsley though!

Edit: also see his injury record. We couldn’t have relied on him based on his history, so he would only have ever been a potential option.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

This is the first time he has had a decent goals to games ratio anywhere which would suggest he might be having a flash-in-the-pan period at the minute. 

Hope he has a good career but he obviously didn't do enough here to impress the management, that’s football

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

This is the first time he has had a decent goals to games ratio anywhere which would suggest he might be having a flash-in-the-pan period at the minute. 

Hope he has a good career but he obviously I didn't do enough here to impress the management, that’s football

Exactly this, wish the lad well but had never really got the goals in him to play in a system with one up top. I also assume that they value Idah as a much better option and it made no sense to keep hold of both. From what I've seen of Idah, he's a lot better with the ball, a lot more mobile and can score the goals he needs to work in our system.

Really glad he's doing well though, always nice to see our youth prospects go on to make a decent career since our upgrade in academy status.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

You were pant wetting before the game v Sheff Wed because Watford, Brentford and Swansea had won so i suppose this sort of post is par for the course.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Haha! I like a good honest pessimist. Would you like to offer me some odds on that?

• Haha 1

I was surprised when another Champ club went in for him, and I had been surprised we'd held on to him for so long despite injuries, but in hindsight both these things suggest that the clubs knew his ability a lot better than I did! His goals at Barnsley support that too. Good luck to him, it's always sad to see a player so blighted by injuries (see also Louis Thompson).

50 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You were pant wetting before the game v Sheff Wed because Watford, Brentford and Swansea had won so i suppose this sort of post is par for the course.

...and if they all win again tonight??

13 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Then well just win again tomorrow. Didnt the turn around in  the second half of the SW game not convince you that we are as one commentator put it.........relentless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

See also Chris Martin. A decent player at this level, but as hogesar says, we are outgrowing him. I’d love to see him go up with Barnsley though!

Edit: also see his injury record. We couldn’t have relied on him based on his history, so he would only have ever been a potential option.

Only one bad injury wasn't it? Which kept him out for 7 months.

Getting confused with Louis Thompson perhaps? 

3 hours ago, Canarywary said:

I was surprised when another Champ club went in for him, and I had been surprised we'd held on to him for so long despite injuries, but in hindsight both these things suggest that the clubs knew his ability a lot better than I did! His goals at Barnsley support that too. Good luck to him, it's always sad to see a player so blighted by injuries (see also Louis Thompson).

Oh the guy can really play.

5 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Gee, thanks for this intrusive thought that's going to be nagging at me every time we fail to win the forthcoming game.  

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

They didn’t I can already confirm

4 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

They didn't though did they ?

25 years old and that's the first time he has a good spell and at Championship level. A decision had to be made. He may come good (how would you define that?), but we couldn't hang around for ever, waiting for him to really impress. Good luck to him, but it's not a missed opportunity in my eyes.

• Like 1

It's called career development.  He maybe needed to go away, make an impression and then have a fresh challenge at a new club rather than come back here.  Someone said he wasn't maybe going to be a 20 goals a season player at championship level, well he is well on target for that.  Someone else said he was maybe a "flash in the pan" - well that does him and our club a dis-service given the time he had at Norwich and the fact we held on to him for so long developing him. 

Careers are made through ups and downs, injuries, loss of form, confidence, self-belief, making the best of your opportunities etc etc and Carlton has come through some tough times enough to get fully fit, show some form enough to impress Barnsley enough to buy him - and he and they are reaping the benefits.  It's a success story and we should be proud that he is doing well, even if it is somewhere else. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

He's done well to come back from those injuries and realistically, for all his effort and willingness to put himself around and just fight, we were growing a bit quicker than he was.

But it's nice to see a player who was one of ours, having faced such problems, come on strong. It's just a pity it's not in our kit, but on a human level I can't be anything but pleased for him. Here's hoping he has a good career.

It's one of those catch 21 situations.

He could come good, but is he going to get ahead of Pukki? Not at the moment. So is it better that we have the next promising young striker in Idah getting those chances and Hugill as the experienced back up?

I like Morris, and everyone would like yet another of our academy players in the squad doing well but the lad needs regular football and a chance to have a go at a playing career rather than a career as a bench warmer. He'd proven himself in League 1 in all honesty. Perhaps nothing amazing as such but as a youngster on loan, it's doubtful a team will be built to play around you, or that you are signed to fill a role that is needed. He's doing well and it's good to see. Potentially he could keep on doing well and get to the Prem, in a way I hope so, like any of our ex academy players.

I do remember when quite a number of folks hit this forum when Crowe was released and went into meltdown. 

Good luck to Morris, none of his loan moves suggested it was time to persevere. Sometimes a certain club become the perfect fit, Barnsley seem to be it. 

4 hours ago, chicken said:

It's one of those catch 21 situations.

He could come good, but is he going to get ahead of Pukki? Not at the moment. So is it better that we have the next promising young striker in Idah getting those chances and Hugill as the experienced back up?

I like Morris, and everyone would like yet another of our academy players in the squad doing well but the lad needs regular football and a chance to have a go at a playing career rather than a career as a bench warmer. He'd proven himself in League 1 in all honesty. Perhaps nothing amazing as such but as a youngster on loan, it's doubtful a team will be built to play around you, or that you are signed to fill a role that is needed. He's doing well and it's good to see. Potentially he could keep on doing well and get to the Prem, in a way I hope so, like any of our ex academy players.

I do remember when quite a number of folks hit this forum when Crowe was released and went into meltdown. 

I agree. That old catch 21 gets you every time 😆

• Haha 4

Farke liked him and he was expected to be in the first team squad when he returned from the Shrewsbury loan in 17/18 with Godfrey, except he suffered that horrendous injury in the playoffs. 

He was obviously injured for the majority of our promotion season and we effectively outgrew him from that point. I guess having two fairly inexperienced players as backup to Pukki was a bit too much of a risk, so we opted for Hugill instead. 

I wouldn't be completely surprised if Farke gave his mate at Barnsley a nod in Morris' direction as a decent championship striker available on the cheap.

That injury must have been hugely frustrating for Carlton but I'm delighted it hasn't ruined his career and he's at a club on the up.

Good luck to him and well done to the club for paving the way to let him go.

I think and hope the club will quickly outgrow other players in the current squad. They've done their job but the EPL is too bigger step for some of them.