Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

We are set to be without 6 players for Preston

It’s disgusting. When the FA moves a team’s league fixture so it doesn’t coincide with another team’s cup fixture I don’t think they require consent from both teams, so why do they require consent from both teams to move a team’s league fixture so it doesn’t coincide with another team’s players’ international duty?

Preston are just bad losers. If we don’t manage to get it sorted out and end up losing I don’t think much harm will be done and we can’t criticise the squad, but if by chance we still managed to win Preston will be the laughing stock of the league

McLean and Hanley aren’t Scotland regulars and they are playing faroe islands at home that evening. 
They may be given a reprieve.

Aarons and Skipp have a 1700 kick off, so hopefully they can jump straight on a plane after.

I’d imagine Pukki won’t be playing in Finland’s friendly that evening. 

At least Buendia and Cantwell are at home!

While PNE are allowed not to move the fixture, why would they agree to it?  They can argue it puts them out and they then have to play Sat-Mon (our game has already been moved to Tuesday), and us potentially having players missing will obviously help them...it’s not their problem.

Of course, it is utterly ridiculous “planning” by the authorities, who should be looking after player welfare. The efl should be telling clubs affected to shift their games (perhaps if more than ‘x’ number of players from either side is involved) - they can play the b-hol match in the Tuesday.  The obvious knock-on will be players being pulled out of international duty - not something we want to see.

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Should we really be playing International football at the moment? 

Indeed. I for one have put my boots on the mantelpiece for now and politely declined the inevitable call-ups.

Seriously though, you ask a fair question. I suppose they’re as Covid secure (& tested) as possible both in transit and at their hotels and facilities. Probably much more so than half the shop floors in the land. But what significant economic function does international football serve, other than the variable tv cash for the FAs concerned, of course.

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Should we really be playing International football at the moment? 

Or at any moment during a domestic season. Very few people are interested and most get annoyed for these hideous International break weekends. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

While PNE are allowed not to move the fixture, why would they agree to it?  They can argue it puts them out and they then have to play Sat-Mon (our game has already been moved to Tuesday), and us potentially having players missing will obviously help them...it’s not their problem.

Of course, it is utterly ridiculous “planning” by the authorities, who should be looking after player welfare. The efl should be telling clubs affected to shift their games (perhaps if more than ‘x’ number of players from either side is involved) - they can play the b-hol match in the Tuesday.  The obvious knock-on will be players being pulled out of international duty - not something we want to see.

Why can’t they move Preston’s game to a Tuesday as well? Their Monday fixture is away to Swansea, and Swansea don’t play again until Saturday.

Edited by HazzaJet

The sensible decision would be for the game to be moved to the Saturday and move both the following fixtures to the Tuesday (our always has been moved for Sky). Unfortuantely, they won't do that as they don't care about Championship clubs.

I'd imagine Pukki will politely decline the friendly, hopefully.

England U21s and Scotland are both at home, so it's not as bad as it could be. I'd imagine they would have a days rest travelling back. Meet up with the squad and then be ready to play on the Friday. It's not a lot different from playing matches every 2-3 days that we've had this season anyway I guess

11 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Why can’t they move Preston’s game to a Tuesday as well? Their Monday fixture is away to Swansea, and Swansea don’t play again until Saturday.

That’s pretty much what I said.  They’d then need Swansea’s agreement - but the efl should just tell the sides what to do. If tv can move matches willy-nilly I’m pretty certain the efl can move them for a good reason.

The club does have a choice and that is to simply do without these players at Preston. 

Earlier this season we had similar issues due to injuries. 

We are in a position to take a risk with one result but not yet to lose the likes of Pukki for weeks should he be injured; and they can all come in fresh for the next game whereas we could get two under par games in a row from them if they have no rest. 

We can put out a side to give Preston a game, the only issue is a lack of match time for some of the replacements. 

That's true, on the flip side it could be a great chance for players like Sorensen, Dowell, Stiepi, Martin (if fit) and Mumba a chance to prove themselves

1 hour ago, Ramrod said:

The club does have a choice and that is to simply do without these players at Preston. 

Earlier this season we had similar issues due to injuries. 

We are in a position to take a risk with one result but not yet to lose the likes of Pukki for weeks should he be injured; and they can all come in fresh for the next game whereas we could get two under par games in a row from them if they have no rest. 

We can put out a side to give Preston a game, the only issue is a lack of match time for some of the replacements. 

The other point is that our game against Huddersfield has been put back a day to the Tuesday for TV reasons, which in these circumstances probably helps us. It gives those coming back from international duty an extra day to get ready, if the Friday game is too soon for them.

As mentioned above, it's been at least 15 years since international break weekends became just irritating for me, moreso since the introduction of the Pretend European Friendly Trophy thing.

Especially in a time where Champions League games are being played at neutral venues due to covid, I'd have long since voted to bin off any international games until coronavirus is under control.

Id still back our second string to give Preston a game, despite the dumbass decisions that may force it to happen.

Very concerning . Not just playing but travelling and recovery . I hope that City are speaking with the Countries and trying to work with them? Pukki surely can be excused a friendly ? 

Amazing how TV now dictates when games can be played 

Money talks

3 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Indeed. I for one have put my boots on the mantelpiece for now and politely declined the inevitable call-ups.

Seriously though, you ask a fair question. I suppose they’re as Covid secure (& tested) as possible both in transit and at their hotels and facilities. Probably much more so than half the shop floors in the land. But what significant economic function does international football serve, other than the variable tv cash for the FAs concerned, of course.

Football being played / televised is good for supporters wellbeing to, evidently. 

Line up v Preston

Nyland

Mumba

zimm

Gibbo

Quin

Sorensen

Rupp

Buendia

Vrancic

Cantwelll

Hugill

Not the worst team good enough to thrash Preston.

But don't worry first teamers will not want to miss out to play in pointless fixtures

1 minute ago, pete said:

Line up v Preston

Nyland

Mumba

zimm

Gibbo

Quin

Sorensen

Rupp

Buendia

Vrancic

Cantwelll

Hugill

Not the worst team good enough to thrash Preston.

But don't worry first teamers will not want to miss out to play in pointless fixtures

I’d imagine Pukki, McLean and Hanley will be there. Krul most likely won’t be too bad after his bench warming. Its the England U21s that bother me.

Ultimately I doubt you will see many changes at all for Preston. Players can hook up with the squad in the north-west straight from international duty on the Thursday and Skipp and Aarons are young lads and will recover quickly. 

What you might see is one or two being withdrawn after an hour, especially if we get in front. 

The club will be going all out to get to 85pts before the break so that there's not so much to worry about with this fixture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Football being played / televised is good for supporters wellbeing to, evidently. 

Maybe an argument for league footie... but I think we’d all survive if England weren’t to play for a few months! Likewise the goodly folk of San Marino and Albania

If we do drop points in this game I don’t think you can blame it on a poor performance by the players or poor management, I would blame it on poor fixture planning by the FA or bad sportsmanship by Preston unless only one or two of our players feature for their countries on the Wednesday - I know the Netherlands’ final fixture is against Gibraltar on the Tuesday, so at least Krul should be available.

Provided we beat either Forest or Blackburn, I don’t think dropping points against Preston would prove too costly either as we would be on at least 82pts with 21 still available 

It does definitely feel that sides are penalised for having good players - utterly bizarre, and a good bit of shooting itself in the foot from efl 

Can’t we just ask them all to withdraw? Winning the league has to be the priority for the players, we pay their wages after all!

Edited by Canary Wundaboy

I can understand the irritation, but at the same time if we pride ourselves somewhat on our depth and willingness to let youngsters have their head, this is the perfect opportunity. Preston are safely mid-table but not in play-off contention, and not in great form either. Considering how compacted the season is, I'd be inclined to say "let's replace those out with the next best and carry on from there", so rotating and letting those out on international duty just be on the bench or even have a night off.

This is THE chance for the fringe lads to show straight up why they should be playing first.

• Like 1

2018/9 We went to PNE and got stuffed 3-0, that is not going to happen this year.  Max and Skippy will defffo play to keep their ever present appearance record. 

In addition to the comments Adobe, I am sure that Aarons and Skipp would like to be ever present this season - these unneccesary and, quite honestly uninteresting, matches are a waste of time. The authorities have allowed 5 subs because of potential injuries due to fatigue, this fixture congestion is even worse 

50 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Maybe an argument for league footie... but I think we’d all survive if England weren’t to play for a few months! Likewise the goodly folk of San Marino and Albania

Except that England wouldn't qualify for the 2022 World Cup then! Which might bother some posters.