Sign in to follow this  
pete

Timm Klose contract status

Timm Klose currently on 12 month loan at Basel and currently contracted to Norwich City.  Will be entitled to a promotion bonus along with Trybull, Leitner and Drmic.  However if contracted until 2022 Timm may wish to see a PL swansong.  Which maybe be acceptable to City but dependent on whether he has managed to keep fit and played regularly for Basel.  Timm has been a quality CB and is already a City player so may be keen to return City.  However it may be dependent on the length of any contract provided it extends beyond 2021.  Cannot remember if TK given new 3 year contract in 2020 along with Trybull.

Anyone having info re TK at Basel re appearances this season appreciated.

TK has played 22 games for Basel this season, scoring 2 goals and playing every single minute of their league games. I believe Basel have an option to buy as part of the loan deal, at least that's what a few websites suggest so would imagine he will leave in the summer if they want him. I can't believe Norwich would stop he leaving if he wants, it is obvious he's far from first choice now. All players on our books will no doubt be given bonuses and pay rises if we get promoted, it'll be in all their contracts 

I would imagine/hope any promotion bonuses are tied to appearances after the Naismith debacle.

Klose is a lovely guy - has a lot of respect for the club. He has PL experience and when fit he’s usually been a very good player for us. However, I think the club would much rather get rid of him before his contract expires than keep him for the remainder of his career as he is very injury prone and will be 33 this summer, as no club wants players on high salaries who are no good to play. IMO that’s the whole reason why he was sent out on loan and the same reason why Drmic has been sent out.

I think Byram will only be offered a new contract if he recovers soon and doesn’t pick up another serious injury before his current contract expires 

• Like 1

Love him, top bloke.. But his time here is over. Ever since his serious injury he's been a fridge. Like I said, still think he's a wonderful great guy and all, but just dont think he has a future here.

Is it that cut and dried? Presumably Hanley and Gibson are our first choice CBs, with only Zimmermann as backup. Gibson will cost £x million as will another to come in. We need at least one more CB, two in my opinion. If TK has proved his fitness and is playing at a high level, he may be a better bet than Zimmermann who has barely featured.

We absolutely cannot go into the Premier League with Sorensen and Tettey as backup.

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Is it that cut and dried? Presumably Hanley and Gibson are our first choice CBs, with only Zimmermann as backup. Gibson will cost £x million as will another to come in. We need at least one more CB, two in my opinion. If TK has proved his fitness and is playing at a high level, he may be a better bet than Zimmermann who has barely featured.

We absolutely cannot go into the Premier League with Sorensen and Tettey as backup.

Personally, I think the best option would be to exercise the option to make Gibson's loan permanent at around £7m and then bring someone else in to partner him. Hanley is having a fantastic season but I'm not sure about him as a regular starter in the Premier League (as much as I'd love him to prove me wrong), Zimmermann would also be a backup at that level and Klose's best days are long gone.

We can't build a squad based on sentiment, and in addition to Klose, that goes for other squad members such as Tettey, Vrancic and Stiepermann who should probably be thanked for their excellent service and let go in the summer, because I don't think they'd contribute in the Premier League.

For me, we should have Gibson and AN Other as the 'first choice' options next season with Hanley and Zimmermann providing competition and cover.

• Like 3

It's about time we plucked another £25M centre back out of the academy. We could certainly do worse than Klose as backup. Obviously if he goes permanently then we'll need a replacement.

3 hours ago, pete said:

Timm Klose currently on 12 month loan at Basel and currently contracted to Norwich City.  Will be entitled to a promotion bonus along with Trybull, Leitner and Drmic.  However if contracted until 2022 Timm may wish to see a PL swansong.  Which maybe be acceptable to City but dependent on whether he has managed to keep fit and played regularly for Basel.  Timm has been a quality CB and is already a City player so may be keen to return City.  However it may be dependent on the length of any contract provided it extends beyond 2021.  Cannot remember if TK given new 3 year contract in 2020 along with Trybull.

His legs have gone, time to say goodbye.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, AJ said:

TK has played 22 games for Basel this season, scoring 2 goals and playing every single minute of their league games.

I mean, its a very poor league, Van Wolfswinkel has played 22 games for them this season as well. 

4 hours ago, pete said:

The three year contract was signed in May 2019. Quite disturbingly it was done against the backdrop of ...........'him managing a knee issue'. As has been said by all, TK was very popular and seemed to have real fondness for his life here but it would be sentimental folly to bring him back here in the summer and one can only assume that SW will not entertain such thoughts. 

TK won't play again for us. Great servant but his time has passed.

We obviously need to sign a player in that position during the summer. Along with no.10, CDM and striker. 

I imagine if Klose’s loan has worked out he’ll go back for another season.  If he’s entitled to a promotion bonus then so be it - the same applies to Drmic et al.

Timm is done with us, listen to his intervoews on leaving. 

I think our most likely course of action is a bright young thing from a PL club; someone like Marc Guehi, who is getting rave reviews as a ball playing defender at Swansea this season.

Nah, Timm should be given a warm handshake for his time with us and let Basel have him for a relatively nominal fee as an appreciative token for his service to us. I'm sure he'd thoroughly appreciate being able to finish his career with the team where it all started off for him.

Definitely need a centre-half. I'd look at Dael Fry first but he could be very spendy. Failing that, maybe we could get a good one on loan somewhere?

• Like 1

Always a hero for that goal against 1p5wich.......

I suspect Famewo won't be far away from the first team next season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Personally, I think the best option would be to exercise the option to make Gibson's loan permanent at around £7m and then bring someone else in to partner him. Hanley is having a fantastic season but I'm not sure about him as a regular starter in the Premier League (as much as I'd love him to prove me wrong), Zimmermann would also be a backup at that level and Klose's best days are long gone.

We can't build a squad based on sentiment, and in addition to Klose, that goes for other squad members such as Tettey, Vrancic and Stiepermann who should probably be thanked for their excellent service and let go in the summer, because I don't think they'd contribute in the Premier League.

For me, we should have Gibson and AN Other as the 'first choice' options next season with Hanley and Zimmermann providing competition and cover.

Why demote Hanley? He has been as good as Gibson this season and is our captain. 

42 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Why demote Hanley? He has been as good as Gibson this season and is our captain. 

I know it sounds harsh and I feel very cruel for saying it, but there can be no room for sentiment and Hanley is a player who has always looked excellent in the Championship but not quite made it in the Premier League. I'd definitely keep him, but for me he'd be the 'third' centre back, i.e. the one who'd be the first replacement for either of the two regular starters. 

I'd love it if he proves me wrong, I really would. But we only have Hanley, Gibson and Zimmermann as first team options right now and assuming we trigger the option to make Gibson's loan permanent, we definitely need a fourth centre back for next season so it makes sense to try to bring in someone better than we already have.

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I mean, its a very poor league, Van Wolfswinkel has played 22 games for them this season as well. 

You say that, but the best stat is Klose has scored more goals than Ricky has!

Always liked Klose, but his time is up for me. I imagine Basel will exercise any option they have on him. I doubt he wants to return anyways and sit on the bench.

17 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Klose is a lovely guy - has a lot of respect for the club. He has PL experience and when fit he’s usually been a very good player for us. However, I think the club would much rather get rid of him before his contract expires than keep him for the remainder of his career as he is very injury prone and will be 33 this summer, as no club wants players on high salaries who are no good to play. IMO that’s the whole reason why he was sent out on loan and the same reason why Drmic has been sent out.

I think Byram will only be offered a new contract if he recovers soon and doesn’t pick up another serious injury before his current contract expires 

If you go back and read the articles it would appear that Klose going out on loan was a bit of a surprise as they had planned to have him available for the upcoming season. They then tried to look to bring in another CB and I believe Farke said that was one of the positions they would like to strengthen in January too.

I don't believe he was "sent out on loan" - Basel have been interested in him for some time and with it being closer to home for him it's something that I think has become more and more attractive to him. To be fair, after injuries, he needed regular games and he's getting them. Whilst I remain to feel that we never saw the best of Klose consistently he has been a good pro and player for us and I think it's more a case of the club realising they could get some money back on a 30-something player, who was likely to be back up and cost £7.5million, was too good to turn down. Not to mention some/all wages off the bill too. 

Just now, chicken said:

If you go back and read the articles it would appear that Klose going out on loan was a bit of a surprise as they had planned to have him available for the upcoming season. They then tried to look to bring in another CB and I believe Farke said that was one of the positions they would like to strengthen in January too.

I don't believe he was "sent out on loan" - Basel have been interested in him for some time and with it being closer to home for him it's something that I think has become more and more attractive to him. To be fair, after injuries, he needed regular games and he's getting them. Whilst I remain to feel that we never saw the best of Klose consistently he has been a good pro and player for us and I think it's more a case of the club realising they could get some money back on a 30-something player, who was likely to be back up and cost £7.5million, was too good to turn down. Not to mention some/all wages off the bill too. 

This. It's a homecoming for him as he played in the FC Basel youth teams. And considering his service / fondness towards us, he's earned the right to choose his departure and leave with his head held high if you ask me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I don't believe he was "sent out on loan" - Basel have been interested in him for some time and with it being closer to home for him it's something that I think has become more and more attractive to him.ill too. 

More than that... its the team his whole family supports. 

Its like you being a footballer and getting the chance to play for Norwich at 32.

Or the Craig Bellamy move to Cardiff.

Its why Farke and Webber didn't simply say "no"

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I know it sounds harsh and I feel very cruel for saying it, but there can be no room for sentiment and Hanley is a player who has always looked excellent in the Championship but not quite made it in the Premier League. I'd definitely keep him, but for me he'd be the 'third' centre back, i.e. the one who'd be the first replacement for either of the two regular starters. 

I'd love it if he proves me wrong, I really would. But we only have Hanley, Gibson and Zimmermann as first team options right now and assuming we trigger the option to make Gibson's loan permanent, we definitely need a fourth centre back for next season so it makes sense to try to bring in someone better than we already have.

Hanley is a different player in comparison to any previous season. Since he's managed to have a long run without injury he has become an integral cog in our system. His passing and the way he brings the ball into midfield are both essential to how we play and pretty hard to replace. I very much doubt that we'll be rushing to replace him for next season. The more likely scenario is that another CB will be given the chance when one of the incumbents are suspended or injured.

I really hope that we do sign one other CB that really improves the squad assuming that Klose isn't back here. I think 5 would be the minimum number at the start of a campaign with Famewo filling that other slot.

22 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Hanley is a different player in comparison to any previous season. Since he's managed to have a long run without injury he has become an integral cog in our system. His passing and the way he brings the ball into midfield are both essential to how we play and pretty hard to replace. I very much doubt that we'll be rushing to replace him for next season. The more likely scenario is that another CB will be given the chance when one of the incumbents are suspended or injured.

I really hope that we do sign one other CB that really improves the squad assuming that Klose isn't back here. I think 5 would be the minimum number at the start of a campaign with Famewo filling that other slot.

As I said before, I'd love if it Hanley makes the position his own, as he deserves it. He has become a more complete defender under Farke, but it's blatantly obvious that we need more than just Gibson, Hanley and Zimmermann next season and the aim has to be to try and upgrade if possible.

• Like 1