Sign in to follow this  
pete

You've gotta feel sorry for Tim

Poor Tim Krull he must terribly upset and you've got be concerned for his mental health.  He is goalkeeper and used to be a good one but now we don't know how good he is because he is not being asked to be a goalkeeper.  A goalkeepers stock in trade is to make saves since returning from injury it has been decided not to let him to make saves any more.  Yesterday he cut a forlorn figure as shots sailed over the bar or were harmlessly shot goalwards.  the only meaningful goalkeeping he was asked to do was to take the ball out of the net, Ben Gibson obviously feels Tim is not good enough and felt it necessary to bring the Wednesday striker down and was booked for his trouble.  When he could have let the Wednesday player have a shot and give Tim an opportunity to make a save.  If this dearth continues then Tim will lose any ability he has as a keeper. 

Are we going to starve Tim of the opportunities to be a proper keeper?  Hopefully yes.  

• Like 1

Two of Kruls biggest strengths are his organisation of those infront of him and his positioning. Both mean he limits difficult shots against him. That hes also a good shot stopper and capable of the spectacular is a huge bonus.

It is a concerning situation. I have noticed that he's become more suited to the defensive midfield role. We really need to start defending less effectively to keep him in shape.

• Haha 1

He's got to be our best of this century surely? We've had some good ones, I suppose Ruddy and Green come closest and Forster was good in a lower league. I think Krul is our best all rounder though, Ruddy couldn't play the ball out and struggled with hard, low shots and Green suffered from the jitters far too often and I remember him being quiet having sat behind him for 45 minutes every week in the early 2000's. Krul's definitely the best I've seen play for us, I hope he stays here for the rest of his career and solidifies himself as one of our all time greats. 

We seem to have managed to get Krul back to something like his pre injury levels. At the height of his time at Newcastle, he had numerous champions league clubs interested in him.

Basically if we tried to sign him at this current ability we'd have no chance

41 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It is a concerning situation. I have noticed that he's become more suited to the defensive midfield role. We really need to start defending less effectively to keep him in shape.

It's a good point, he makes a few trips out of the box every game now. Is this captured in stats anywhere? I'm sure it didn't happen in previous seasons.

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It's a good point, he makes a few trips out of the box every game now. Is this captured in stats anywhere? I'm sure it didn't happen in previous seasons.

image.png.5ea02576ed0db871f9c9d7c26df89b8b.png

image.png.953c5014ce4d7a73c3ec1cc903f20063.png

• Thanks 1

Krul has improved in his time with us, no doubt. Farke has let him become a big leader at the back, and especially a few seasons back we wouldn't have done so well without him with 3 youngsters in our back 4. What a signing he has been for us, big on the pitch and in the dressing room, and the mistake gremlins of a few seasons ago have all but gone. Krul in his prime!

1 hour ago, pete said:

Poor Tim Krull he must terribly upset and you've got be concerned for his mental health.  He is goalkeeper and used to be a good one but now we don't know how good he is because he is not being asked to be a goalkeeper.  A goalkeepers stock in trade is to make saves since returning from injury it has been decided not to let him to make saves any more.  Yesterday he cut a forlorn figure as shots sailed over the bar or were harmlessly shot goalwards.  the only meaningful goalkeeping he was asked to do was to take the ball out of the net, Ben Gibson obviously feels Tim is not good enough and felt it necessary to bring the Wednesday striker down and was booked for his trouble.  When he could have let the Wednesday player have a shot and give Tim an opportunity to make a save.  If this dearth continues then Tim will lose any ability he has as a keeper. 

Are we going to starve Tim of the opportunities to be a proper keeper?  Hopefully yes.  

Don’t you worry.

If we keep going at the rate we are, we’ll guarantee the man plenty of action next season. Will more than make up for the relative boredom this year...

• Haha 2