Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England team being annouced in coming days- Who we thinking?

59 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If you go back and look through this thread you will see that YOU were the one who brought the names of Hudson-Odoi, Smith Rowe etc into it, NOT ME!

It really is quite amusing to watch yourself contorting yourself into knots though with your rather weird desire to talk down one of our players whilst blowing smoke up the ar*e* of other teams players.

So Brewster couldn't have been expected to shine this season in a terrible Sheffiled Utd team, but players like Todd show up more in a poor Norwich team!  Do you ever stop to think if your arguments are totally self contradictory before you make them? 

Sorry mate but I don't think I'm contradicting myself at all here.

The reason I said you moved the goalposts, is because you totally ignored my point on why Brewster would be picked over Cantwell, I'll try again: 

• Brewster = striker
  • Cantwell = attacking midfielder
  • Not many good strikers in England u21 squad (good for Brewster because he has little competition)
  • Lots of good attacking midfielders in England u21 squad (bad for Cantwell because he has lots of competition)

Where exactly have I 'excused Brewster's poor performances' for Sheff United? I never at any stage said I thought Brewster was better than Cantwell or anything of the sort. I actually think Cantwell is the better prospect so there you go.

But do you seriously expect Cantwell to get picked and play upfront instead of Brewster? Or do you expect us to take only 1 striker in the entire squad? Genuinely interested in what your approach would be because I don't really follow.

However, instead of answering this point in my original post, you side-stepped the bulk of my post with a very basic goal-scoring comparison between the players I compared Cantwell to (Hudson-Odoi / Smith Rowe). Apparently this fact with absolutely no context, nor any regard for any other statistic or attribute that might be important for an attacking midfielder, is the absolute end of the discussion... 

I'm not going to re-explain why they are better prospects again, but I think it is pretty well evidenced though by their ages, club stature, current playing time and playing level. But that's nothing against Cantwell in my opinion. 

I support Norwich, and I love Todd Cantwell (and made that clear many times above), but that doesn't mean I have to unconditionally kid myself into believing our players are better than everyone else... nor does it mean I'm bending over backwards to slate him when I don't agree with you.

And for reference, I would absolutely love for you to be proven right and for Cantwell to get in the England side. I just don't think he will unfortunately!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

Nick pope & Dean Henderson will definitely (or you would hope)be the two goalkeepers with Pickford injured.

Rest of the squad will pick itself due to injuries to attacking midfielders and strikers.