Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England team being annouced in coming days- Who we thinking?

Worth noting both Pickford and Henderson are most likely not going to be called up due to inury, but I guess you never know. Would be nice to see Maddison and Grealish, but anyone gonna try calling any surprise callups?

I'm calling Luke Shaw

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Aaron’s?    It’s a funny ol’ game!    Never know and Southgate picks it, the press don’t anymore!

Godfrey?   

Godfrey would be a good pick, I mean not like Maguire's in red hot form.

I think Tarkowski and Dunk would be decent for England too, but sadly don't see them getting the call

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Worth noting both Pickford and Henderson are most likely not going to be called up due to inury, but I guess you never know. Would be nice to see Maddison and Grealish, but anyone gonna try calling any surprise callups?

I'm calling Luke Shaw

Isn’t Maddison injured? He wouldn’t pick him anyway though. 

Unfortunate for Todd those he clips competing with for attacking mids / wingers are all playing prem football.

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Unfortunate for Todd those he clips competing with for attacking mids / wingers are all playing prem football.

Not just that, he hasn't got the goals and assists to back up his contention. He has started to come into some good form the past couple of months so if he keeps it up and we get promoted he'll have a chance of getting back in.

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

Not just that, he hasn't got the goals and assists to back up his contention. He has started to come into some good form the past couple of months so if he keeps it up and we get promoted he'll have a chance of getting back in.

😂🤣😆

Rhian Brewster (Sheff Utd)    Games - 20 - Goals 0. 

18 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

😂🤣😆

Rhian Brewster (Sheff Utd)    Games - 20 - Goals 0. 

isn't he a striker though? Having said that Sheffield United could have Ronaldo and Messi upfront and still lose every week, they have been truly awful 

We're playing San Marino, Albania and Poland so you'd hope that we might select some creative midfielders to play in the first two games. 

If we play a midfield pairing of Dier and Rice vs San Marino then I'm switching allegiances to the Swedish women's team.

Selfish as it may seem, I hope we get as few call-ups as possible - we have two key players in the u21 squad and they are due to play Croatia (in Slovenia) on Wed 31st and then in a league game at 3pm on Friday 2nd....presumably it is much the same for all the internationals. 
That’s ridiculous “planning” by the authorities. PL managers have been moaning and they at least get the extra day,’.

Edited by Branston Pickle

27 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Selfish as it may seem, I hope we get as few call-ups as possible - we have two key players in the u21 squad and they are due to play Croatia (in Slovenia) on Wed 31st and then in a league game at 3pm on Friday 2nd....presumably it is much the same for all the internationals. 
That’s ridiculous “planning” by the authorities. PL managers have been moaning and they at least get the extra day,’.

Was just about to post something similar. Selfishly for us, we'll have Cantwell and Buendia fresh and ready after the intl. break. Not too sure about the rest of our starting eleven... Gibson, Dowell/Rupp/Stiepermann/Vrancic?

1 hour ago, AJ said:

isn't he a striker though? Having said that Sheffield United could have Ronaldo and Messi upfront and still lose every week, they have been truly awful 

Well he's allegedly a striker - but his goals scored record would suggest otherwise wouldn't it? And yes Sheff Utd have been truly awful this season - as for Rhian Brewster - well - he's been truly awful as well hasn't he?

You may recall that last season Cantwell played in a pretty poor Norwich City team in the Premier League, but still looked good in that team and scored 6 Premier League goals. So for what reason in God's universe is Brewster in the England U21 team and Todd not? 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Is Todd still eligible? He's 23.

Yes, he's on the standby list as well so not miles away from being in the squad

53 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well he's allegedly a striker - but his goals scored record would suggest otherwise wouldn't it? And yes Sheff Utd have been truly awful this season - as for Rhian Brewster - well - he's been truly awful as well hasn't he?

You may recall that last season Cantwell played in a pretty poor Norwich City team in the Premier League, but still looked good in that team and scored 6 Premier League goals. So for what reason in God's universe is Brewster in the England U21 team and Todd not? 

But you can't just pick players for outperforming other players with no regard to their role in the team and the overall balance. If the 11 best English players were all right backs we clearly wouldn't pick a team of right backs! 

And unfortunately for Todd in the attacking midfield positions he is competing with the likes of Hudson-Odoi, Smith Rowe, McNeil and Greenwood (more often than not plays on the right wing for United). These are all playing regular footy at a much higher level. 

In terms of striking choices our options are nowhere near as fruitful so players of less quality such as Brewster get in.

Sucks for Todd, but I feel more for Aarons having to get past Alexander-Arnold, Kyle Walker, Wan-Bassaka, Reece James, James Justin, Maitland-Niles and Lamptey etc for just one position in the team!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Brewster is a good player in a dreadful team. I'd have him at Norwich in a heartbeat but we can't afford his wages. 

Cantwell is a very talented player but just too inconsistent to compete against these Premier League players at the moment. He needs another season with us to show that his errors are under control and his contribution is more consistent at the highest level. The one player they have named who is a bit of a wild card is Tom Davies, who can be both brilliant and woeful in the same game too. Likewise Oliver Skipp - he has little competition in his age group in his position but he has no chance of a starting position at Spurs and should stay for another year. He still makes errors and in a Spurs midfield he would get hammered. Gallagher has the same problem at Chelsea - he won't get in their team, and will be on loan again. 

As for the senior team, Southgate is in charge so we will see the same old dross plus Grealish (if he's fit) because he's been forced to include him by the media. Unless you've come through the system he won't give you a look in.

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But you can't just pick players for outperforming other players with no regard to their role in the team and the overall balance. If the 11 best English players were all right backs we clearly wouldn't pick a team of right backs! 

And unfortunately for Todd in the attacking midfield positions he is competing with the likes of Hudson-Odoi, Smith Rowe, McNeil and Greenwood (more often than not plays on the right wing for United). These are all playing regular footy at a much higher level. 

In terms of striking choices our options are nowhere near as fruitful so players of less quality such as Brewster get in.

Sucks for Todd, but I feel more for Aarons having to get past Alexander-Arnold, Kyle Walker, Wan-Bassaka, Reece James, James Justin, Maitland-Niles and Lamptey etc for just one position in the team!

Emile Smith Rowe - Premier League appearances - 15 - Goals - 0.

Callum Hudson Odoi - Premier League appearances - 53 - Goals - 3. 

Todd Cantwell - Premier League appearances - 37 - Goals - 6. 

The facts speak for themselves! 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Odd. Why's it called Under 21s?

I think it's decided by what age you were when the competition you're playing in actually began. 

Be pretty galling to play in the qualifiers and miss out on the tournament if you turned 22.

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Emile Smith Rowe - Premier League appearances - 15 - Goals - 0.

Callum Hudson Odoi - Premier League appearances - 53 - Goals - 3. 

Todd Cantwell - Premier League appearances - 37 - Goals - 6. 

The facts speak for themselves! 

Your initial comment was specifically about why Brewster was in the team and not Todd. That's what I answered, but the goal-posts appear to have been moved!

You really like your goal-scoring stats don't you? Last time it was Howson vs McLean... 'The facts speak for themselves'. Yes, if the only fact you care about is goals scored without any context whatsoever. Was Paul Robinson also your favourite goal-keeper of all time by any chance? 

I'm a big fan of Todd but he's simply not the same level of potential as Smith-Rowe and Hudson-Odoi. 

For starters he is 3 years older than both. Are the England set up realistically going to see Cantwell as a long term option when players like Grealish, Sterling and Rashford are already in the set up and of a similar age to him? 

Also Smith Rowe has been pretty imperative to Arsenal's upturn in form, all Arsenal fans I see online really rate him. He may not have scored but 4 assists in 13 apps in his breakthrough season for Arsenal is still pretty good and there's more to the AM role than just goals and assists... 

Hudson-Odoi has maybe not hit the heights just yet, he has been in-and-out of a very competitive side, but appears to now be favoured by Tuchel, he has had a major injury lay-off to get over and also some serious interest from Bayern but Chelsea were pretty desperate to keep him. If Cantwell were anywhere near that level we would've heard about it over the summer considering we were relegated!

I also think Cantwell is more likely to stand out in a poor Norwich side (last season) than these players are when they are competing for possession with some of the best in the league. Look at how attacking players like Danny Ings and Jesse Lingard struggled for the top sides but now stand out for the lower level sides!

I would love to see Cantwell in the England set up, but unfortunately I don't think he is quite there yet and may never quite make it - now take off ye yellow and green specs and try again 😄 

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

zy8CGsTh?format=jpg&name=small

Skipp/Aarons/Godfrey in under 21's.

Aarons and Skipp in the squad and you would think they are likely to play on the Wednesday. 

We kick off against Preston 44hrs after that final whistle.

Could be an issue for us.

21 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Aarons and Skipp in the squad and you would think they are likely to play on the Wednesday. 

We kick off against Preston 44hrs after that final whistle.

Could be an issue for us.

Think Aarons has the stamina for it- He has started every single game for us this season.

Skipp on the other hand not so sure about

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Your initial comment was specifically about why Brewster was in the team and not Todd. That's what I answered, but the goal-posts appear to have been moved!

If you go back and look through this thread you will see that YOU were the one who brought the names of Hudson-Odoi, Smith Rowe etc into it, NOT ME!

It really is quite amusing to watch yourself contorting yourself into knots though with your rather weird desire to talk down one of our players whilst blowing smoke up the ar*e* of other teams players.

So Brewster couldn't have been expected to shine this season in a terrible Sheffiled Utd team, but players like Todd show up more in a poor Norwich team!  Do you ever stop to think if your arguments are totally self contradictory before you make them?