Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

Why can't we be Norwich.......

Most of it is totally true, hard to see otherwise - the way both sides have diverged is interesting.  The cyclical nature of football is always an interesting point - you do get the feeling that there’s a bunch of sides who will never be truly ‘safe’ in the PL and be always looking over their shoulder rather than at the top, say, 8...the Championship has a number of sides who have had decent stints and not managed to get back.

It's interesting looking back to see how much we chopped and changed in the first six games of our Championship winning campaign, searching for some rhythm and a stable formation.

Norwich 2 Birmingham 2

image.png.dedc60a8b6807201bad962876f33a745.png

Norwich 3 West Brom 4

image.thumb.png.e22a27cdec1fda5fde9ef91ee7a0cc88.png

Norwich 1 Sheffield United 2

image.thumb.png.2350fc09cec210c8ea47700232578607.png

• Like 1

Ipswich was Aarons and Buendia's Championship debut, and the first pairing of Aarons and Lewis at fullback. With Pukki still not leading the line.

The team didn't settle down until the Middlesboro/Reading games.

Many were calling for Farkes head at that point, he was ‘out of his depth’ I remember a certain poster commenting.

This underlines that a coach/manager needs time, new players to bed in and find a rhythm in a new style and with new team mates. Patience is what so many people lack these days

I still maintain the signs were definitely there in the early games and said so at the time - looking beyond the results at the performance, IMO whilst still finding ourselves defensively, the game we lost v WBA was among one of our better ones in the season.  The thing is we gifted them two goals and missed our own penalty. You do need to look beyond the result at times, thankfully our Board did just that.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Slight correction but it’s “why aren’t we Norwich”

and the answer is “we aren’t classy enough”

2 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Many were calling for Farkes head at that point, he was ‘out of his depth’ I remember a certain poster commenting.

This underlines that a coach/manager needs time, new players to bed in and find a rhythm in a new style and with new team mates. Patience is what so many people lack these days

I'll freely admit that I was unhappy with Farke at the time, even attempting to start a chant of "shut your Farking face Daniel Farke" to the tune of the popular South Park song.

The loss to West Brom was just awful in terms of organisation, shape and discipline. I recall Pinto (who was playing left back) lost the ball on the right wing leading to us conceding via an attack through the area he had vacated. Tim Krul had an absolute mare in goal too.

I was unaware of how the hard work was just about to click as we found our best 11 and turned the meaningless possession into a solid foundation from which Farkeball would emerge. The players started to understand their roles and our transition play became deadly.

Shipping out Pinto and Marshall and bringing in Lewis and Aarons was crucial. As was the emergence of Buendia and Pukki. But let's not forget the significant contribution from Rhodes and Vrancic. Zimmerman was fantastic when he came into the side.

We never did especially tighten up defensively. We just keept outscoring everyone with some incredible late goals. The transformation from that season to this has been a remarkable maturation of the footballing philosophy. The way we defend and the game management have improved enormously. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much better we can be in Premier League compared to last season.

I saw this the other day and thought I had never seen a more honest, critically non biased and down to Earth thread on that forum.

The natural combative nature and banter almost entirely diminished by the reality of where they are now.

I sometimes find a myself lulled into a bit of pity for the 70% ordinary football supporter that follows them, I’m sure we have much in common,  but then I snap back to reality remembering the 30% waving notes when Evans bought the club and also having a go at Oliveira getting his face stamped on by Mings and my demeanour hardens.

Edited by The Gingerking