Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

10 points ahead with 10 games to go

Seems to me normally when we’ve won promotion we’ve had a poor/indifferent start & had a lot to make up, but have started to play consistently well from October on and have caught the team who were well ahead (normally Leeds) and cruised past them into the final straight to end up winning with reasonable comfort.

Can anyone ever remember us so far ahead in the lead with 10 games to go?

Also until December we seemed to be saying after (almost) every game that we’d got the result but not clicked together properly as a team this season?

We had an indifferent start this time too. It just lasted 4 games instead of 12 or so. Either way, the rejuvenation of a side that looked so lost, so fragile, and so shorn of confidence in such quick order is a real tribute to the work done by Farke and his team.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Seems to me normally when we’ve won promotion we’ve had a poor/indifferent start & had a lot to make up, but have started to play consistently well from October on and have caught the team who were well ahead (normally Leeds) and cruised past them into the final straight to end up winning with reasonable comfort.

Can anyone ever remember us so far ahead in the lead with 10 games to go?

Also until December we seemed to be saying after (almost) every game that we’d got the result but not clicked together properly as a team this season?

It's often been the case that we'd win the game but have the feeling that we never got out of third gear. A lot of our games have been 1-0, so maybe it is just a case of the opposition teams showing us more respect this time around.

I think COVID has impacted the league though. The general quality of opposition hasn't been as good this season, IMO.

If we can avoid injuries in the upcoming fixtures and internationals, the job is almost done.

Nearly there, but not quite.

Yes really good reply by Teemu in the post match interview, asked if he could now enjoy the rest of the season in the run up to promotion, he said he always enjoys playing football but the work wouldn’t be done until promotion is definite, or words to that effect. And I think the performance today shows there won’t be any relaxing in this squad, the most remorseless and disciplined City team I can ever remember.

Edited by It's Character Forming
Autocorrect!
  • Like 4

Interesting finish for the other promotion place - last 2 games Watford are playing Swansea and Brentford ! 

three wins and a couple of draws will do it but let’s go for 7 wins out of 10 and 100 points

dowell looks to be getting up to speed , definite ahead of Rupp now after today’s performance 

• Like 1

The broadcasters sometimes don't even put us up on the table. They show second down.

So they think we are out of sight.

Normally, other coaches rollout the cliches such 30 points to play for. But I think this season there is a feeling of acceptance that the rest are playing for second place.

We are all thinking we are there but don't want to sound arrogant but I believe some genuinely think its tempting fate.

But we are 10/1 ON to be promoted as winners with the bookies.

I think its just that we clearly have the best team being coached by someone who will be winning it twice in three years.

So it might be that the open top bus parade might not be until later in the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

10 points clear with 10 games to go is a worrying statistic for the pant wetters.

😀

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The broadcasters sometimes don't even put us up on the table. They show second down.

So they think we are out of sight.

Normally, other coaches rollout the cliches such 30 points to play for. But I think this season there is a feeling of acceptance that the rest are playing for second place.

We are all thinking we are there but don't want to sound arrogant but I believe some genuinely think its tempting fate.

But we are 10/1 ON to be promoted as winners with the bookies.

I think its just that we clearly have the best team being coached by someone who will be winning it twice in three years.

So it might be that the open top bus parade might not be until later in the year.

The open top bus sound covid secure to me, I'm just worried abou Kenny's liver

Edited by Van wink

If Brentford win their last 11 games they will have 99 points. So another 7 wins should do it🙃

If I've got my sums right....

In all our promotions we have never faded once we hit the front. Its now about finishing as champions and aiming for a points record.

17 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still need eight more points to make the play-offs. 🤒

Binner.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

In all our promotions we have never faded once we hit the front. Its now about finishing as champions and aiming for a points record.

Rickyyyy 

I keep wondering about record winning run. I think Ken Brown got to 10 in 1986 but lost a cup game in amongst them.

I think Farke got to 8 in 2019 before the draw with Reading.

1 hour ago, Wardogz said:

Due to our points advantage, you could look at it as 7 games.

Yes, I'd rather look at as games to go until secured promotion, which is currently 7.

So it's really a countdown to that match where it can be achieved, not the end of the season.

19 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Rickyyyy 

I keep wondering about record winning run. I think Ken Brown got to 10 in 1986 but lost a cup game in amongst them.

I think Farke got to 8 in 2019 before the draw with Reading.

Yes ten is the record. If I recall correctly it came to an end with a 2-2 draw at Barnsley. I think that was the game that the ref thought Barnsley's second had hit the post and came back out. He signalled play on until a linesman told him it had gone in and rebounded off the stanchion.

• Thanks 1

I’ve said this before, but I would love to see us coast past Leeds’ 93 points last season, ideally beat their +42 goal difference too. It would be a great counter-point to all the fawning over Bielsa.

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

If Brentford win their last 11 games they will have 99 points. So another 7 wins should do it🙃

If I've got my sums right....

Of Brentford, Watford and Swansea, only one can win all their remaining games as Watford still have to play both the other two.

If Watford and Swansea are level before the last game of the season, then that match will be a cracker .

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Of Brentford, Watford and Swansea, only one can win all their remaining games as Watford still have to play both the other two.

If Watford and Swansea are level before the last game of the season, then that match will be a cracker .

Why can’t Swansea and Brentford win all of their last remaining games?

6 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Because they're not good enough. Theoretically they *could*, but they won't.

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Because they're not good enough. Theoretically they *could*, but they won't.

I know all that but the poster said only one of Swansea, Watford and Brentford could win all of their remaining games.

Thought I’d missed something 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

I know all that but the poster said only one of Swansea, Watford and Brentford could win all of their remaining games.

I know that you know 😉, I was just being pedantic.

3 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I was wondering the very same Wilson.

39 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Fair point. They can't all win i should have said.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I know that you know 😉, I was just being pedantic.

I knew that you knew that I knew 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

I know buddy.

I was just remembering that Brentford already got promoted a few weeks ago so finish above them and it's in the bag🙃

• Haha 1