Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Sheffield Utd

23 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I’ve just watched the highlights and Leicester were absolutely ruthless. While we may gloat now, we should be worried about playing teams like that again next season.

The pace of their attack in turning defenders definitely makes me fear having Hanley and Gibson back there. Hanley isn’t slow in a straight line but often takes an age to actually turn around and run. 

We took 4 pts off Leicester last season....I didnt think they were that good then and dont now

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We took 4 pts off Leicester last season....I didnt think they were that good then and dont now

Ok pal! If you didn’t know their 2nd in the league and are massively improved under Rodgers. I’ll check back in with you after our drubbing next season 😂

34 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Really? He cost them 25m and done sweet fa. What I've seen anyway

Been injured since December and also, we should know by now not to be too hasty in judging players based solely on initial performances in the UK, especially when they're in a team struggling with an array of injured defenders!

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I think he “resigned”, AKA got a big enough lump sum to walk away without a fuss.

Edit: @shefcanary can probably tell us if Wilder keeps getting his round in when the pubs reopen?

@Nuff Said  I'm on the case.  I'll let you know after 12 April!  😉😃🍺🍻

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Been injured since December and also, we should know by now not to be too hasty in judging players based solely on initial performances in the UK, especially when they're in a team struggling with an array of injured defenders!

Hmm fair point but think he'll cost too much 

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Rumour is he kicked off about a DoF being installed.

Think they want to be us.

Well they've copied most of our off field strategies, even the hotel in the corner!

25 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Ok pal! If you didn’t know their 2nd in the league and are massively improved under Rodgers. I’ll check back in with you after our drubbing next season 😂

They had just won 8 in a row when we played them at their place last season and we were the better side in a 1-1 draw...and then beat them at home

They played an apalling side today, theres still plenty of time for them.to fall out of the top 4 ...again

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

2 hours ago, Badger said:

They are owned by a Saudi prince (Prince Abdullah bin Musa'ad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud). , so I presume that he can cover any losses that they make!

He has no money or assets of his own.  He used his family connections to acquire the 50% shares, but more importantly some sharp lawyers to produce an agreement that allowed him to buy out the other 50% at League 1 prices, rather than Premier League prices, even though the club had just got there.  Now effectively he relies on the club for cash flow.  Expect a sale of either the club, let alone most of the squad a la B'****, in the next 2 years!

Theres alot of players that thrived under Wilder previously that probably wouldnt have done so under a different manager. The likes of Basham, Norwood, Fleck, Lundstram, Sharp, Mcgoldrick arent premier league players in a million years. 

Whoever goes in there I think has a big squad overhaul on their hands. But saying that a squad which has Ramsdale, Steven's, Bogle, Mcburnie, Brewster, Burke, Egan, O'Connell would be an appealing squad to take over in the championship.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Doubt we will be in for Brewster. Spend nearly £50M on strikers and Sharp.and McGoldrick still playing sums it up.

Think it's over £60m between Brewster, McBurnie and Mousset

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Good. Ridiculous owners making stupid decisions deserve to be punished.

And eventually people will realise the odds of us improving under new ownership is so remote...

Think it's unfair on the owners though. They backed Wilder with £100m+ of signings. I think all it highlights is the lack of value in buying from the Championship (especially with the amount of competition for players there now) and the lack of value of buying premiership reserves.

4 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Theres alot of players that thrived under Wilder previously that probably wouldnt have done so under a different manager. The likes of Basham, Norwood, Fleck, Lundstram, Sharp, Mcgoldrick arent premier league players in a million years. 

Whoever goes in there I think has a big squad overhaul on their hands. But saying that a squad which has Ramsdale, Steven's, Bogle, Mcburnie, Brewster, Burke, Egan, O'Connell would be an appealing squad to take over in the championship.

Unless of course those players fancy themselves as Premier league players and force a move...

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't get why they didn't keep Wilder for next season. Unless in their case it really was just all the stars aligning.

I think it's his overlapping centre backs that have done for him Nigel 😂

26 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Think it's unfair on the owners though. They backed Wilder with £100m+ of signings. I think all it highlights is the lack of value in buying from the Championship (especially with the amount of competition for players there now) and the lack of value of buying premiership reserves.

I dont know personally. If the owners want to **** 25m on an unproven Brewster then thats their call but it isn't then unfair on them when it doesn't work out. Anyone with lots of money can spend it. 

14 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He has no money or assets of his own.  He used his family connections to acquire the 50% shares, but more importantly some sharp lawyers to produce an agreement that allowed him to buy out the other 50% at League 1 prices, rather than Premier League prices, even though the club had just got there.  Now effectively he relies on the club for cash flow.  Expect a sale of either the club, let alone most of the squad a la B'****, in the next 2 years!

I can't claim detailed knowledge of Prince Abdullah bin Musa'ad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud but his Wikki entry suggests he has assets. It says that he owns 40% of SPMC group, one of the largest companies in the Middle East with a market capitalisation  of over 700 milliion (I  presume dollars?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_bin_Musa'ad_bin_Abdulaziz_Al_Saud

However, I agree that he is far less rich than I expected and that Sheffield Utd face much bigger problems that I thought. Will they be the latest to suffer from chasing the dream with financial incontinence, which so many on here think is the way forwards?

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Not sure it works like that for ffp purposes Badger. 

I don't think the owner bunging in is the same as parachute payments.

1. Yes, I agree that even if he were prepared to continue to back them, FFP would be a challenge - he would presumably buy Bramall Lane at some stage though!

2. Since I wrote this, however, shefcanary has shown me that the owner is far less wealthy than I imagined and perpetual subsidy may not be an option for him, so they could be in a far worse position than I thought. (See post above)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Badger said:

I can't claim detailed knowledge of Prince Abdullah bin Musa'ad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud but his Wikki entry suggests he has assets. It says that he owns 40% of SPMC group, one of the largest companies in the Middle East with a market capitalisation  of over 700 milliion (I  presume dollars?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_bin_Musa'ad_bin_Abdulaziz_Al_Saud

However, I agree that he is far less rich than I expected and that Sheffield Utd face much bigger problems that I thought. Will they be the latest to suffer from chasing the dream with financial incontinence, which so many on here think is the way forwards?

Thanks for update @Badger  the 700million quoted is in Dirhams (5 of these to the pound.).  So that makes his "paper" fortune c. £56m, which is commensurate with Smith & Jones strangely.  And its not cash, so any investment has to be raised by selling other assets or borrowing against them.  Hence the Blades current predicament!  Not so much the Prince, but the Pauper!

8 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Thanks for update @Badger  the 700million quoted is in Dirhams (5 of these to the pound.).  So that makes his "paper" fortune c. £56m, which is commensurate with Smith & Jones strangely.  And its not cash, so any investment has to be raised by selling other assets or borrowing against them.  Hence the Blades current predicament!  Not so much the Prince, but the Pauper!

If he doesn't have some sort of back up, it does seem like Sheff Utd are are in a real mess. Do you know who the debt is owed to?

45 minutes ago, Badger said:

If he doesn't have some sort of back up, it does seem like Sheff Utd are are in a real mess. Do you know who the debt is owed to?

I believe it is other members of his family, so that should be relatively safe.  It's just that he cannot raise new funds easily so you could say on a par with Smith & Jones in that respect.  He'll have to sweat the assets he has at his call, or hope he inherits something sooner rather than later!!! 

Like at that other Sheffield club, although both owners are from very rich families, both have effectively been cut off from family funds as Football is seen as the "wrong" kind of investment and so not to be indulged in!

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I believe it is other members of his family, so that should be relatively safe.  It's just that he cannot raise new funds easily so you could say on a par with Smith & Jones in that respect.  He'll have to sweat the assets he has at his call, or hope he inherits something sooner rather than later!!! 

Like at that other Sheffield club, although both owners are from very rich families, both have effectively been cut off from family funds as Football is seen as the "wrong" kind of investment and so not to be indulged in!

Sounds like the families know about “investing” in football then 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, shefcanary said:

That would actually put Sheff Utd at something of an advantage - several of the EPL clubs have borrowed at rates around 10% pa! I used to live quite near Bramall Lane (Eccleshall Road near the Nursery Tavern, if it's still there) - I've always had a bit of s soft spot for Sheff Utd, although I never went to a game there - it was many years ago but the students union advice at the time (early 80s) was not to go as it was felt to be unsafe for southern accents at the time.

On 14/03/2021 at 18:39, WD40 said:

I’ve just watched the highlights and Leicester were absolutely ruthless. While we may gloat now, we should be worried about playing teams like that again next season.

The pace of their attack in turning defenders definitely makes me fear having Hanley and Gibson back there. Hanley isn’t slow in a straight line but often takes an age to actually turn around and run. 

Fair enough but Leicester are a top 4 team. Yes I know we beat them a year ago but we really do need to be thinking about beating the bottom 10 not the top 10

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Fair enough but Leicester are a top 4 team. Yes I know we beat them a year ago but we really do need to be thinking about beating the bottom 10 not the top 10

Yes the point was this thread was started to comment on how poor Sheff U were to be 5 down against Leicester. Just saying we could easily be in that position next year. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

That would actually put Sheff Utd at something of an advantage - several of the EPL clubs have borrowed at rates around 10% pa! I used to live quite near Bramall Lane (Eccleshall Road near the Nursery Tavern, if it's still there) - I've always had a bit of s soft spot for Sheff Utd, although I never went to a game there - it was many years ago but the students union advice at the time (early 80s) was not to go as it was felt to be unsafe for southern accents at the time.

I live on Psalter Lane. Its a 15 minute walk to the ground.  Have attended many matches over the years.  I did get a dislocated jaw after watching a match after being jumped on down London Road.

Edited by shefcanary