Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Dowell

Looked a lot better coming on today than in recent games. Maybe the fact we were still chasing a win at the time probably helped but I thought he broke the lines better than Rupp and showed a little decent physicality too.

• Like 8

Looked good and we looked far more fluent after Rupp had been subbed. He's not a no.10 that is obvious.

Hopefully more to come from Dowell.

More quality than Rupp and more energy than Vrancic, a winning combination if he can stay fit and form a partnership with the other forward weapons. 

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Looked good and we looked far more fluent after Rupp had been subbed. He's not a no.10 that is obvious.

Hopefully more to come from Dowell.

There is some player in there. He is a high quality player (just look at some of his video clips). Has been a shame that he was injured when he was and then had to try and get back into a winning team. He will be like having a new player. Him and Sorensen are very good players of our summer additions. Lots to be encouraged about ahead.

• Thanks 1

He's been extremely unlucky over the last two or months, as he has needed game time to get up to speed yet obviously couldn't break into the team that was playing so well. Hopefully this will be the catalyst for him to get a run in the team as the ten position is one of the very few that nobody has really made their own this season.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Deserved a goal

You actually have to hit the target to get a goal. I was pleased to see him given 30 minutes and, while he got into a couple of great positions, I was actually a little disappointed with his work when we lost the ball.

A massive part of playing for Norwich City is working hard, tracking back and doing the basics with exemplary discipline. Fair enough if you've played 70 minutes and you switch off once when you're knackered. If you've just come on as a sub, you need to run the hard yards in the middle of the park, not gently jog back while they attack us.

He definitely needs more minutes but, while clearly technically less gifted, I can absolutely see why Rupp is starting ahead of him. Dowell definitely brings a different dimension to the 10 role. I just hope he's able to be the complete package. He probably just needs a goal to get him started.

He looked the sort of player we all hoped he would be.

Different player to previous outings.

Yes he did look very good. Shame he couldn’t have scored as it would have been just reward for his work. 

Edited by Surfer

I'd like to see him push on and get a start in the attacking trio now, but knowing the wiles of Farke by now we are more likely to see Mario back in.

Today was promising though, looked quick and peppy. You can see now how he would mix well with Emi and Todd.

Yep agreed, today was the first time I could see a player in there, long may it continue as Rupp in the 10 isn't a sustainable option. 

I thought it was a big call by Farke to bring him on and not Vrancic. He did well and should boost his confidence. No complaints but still rate Mario.

Rupp is not a No 10. But worked hard nevertheless.

Team / Squad win.

Full did well in the no10 role against Luton but found it hard today. Dowell did better when he came on but still not 100%. Hope to see a fit Steiperman back in that role soon...

Wonder where we would be had he been fit all season?

One moment impressed me.

Emi played a one two and Dowell deadened the ball between two defenders so that Emi could take the ball without breaking stride.

Not so much worried about the goals as as long as someone scores.

Agree with much on here.

I was pleased to see him get a half hour to make an impact. He's had a frustrating year for him personally after a reasonably high-profile signing by our standards. He looked sharp & hungry and nice & direct. He needs pitch time to get up to speed with the other forward players and I hope he gets a start the next day. You can be assured he'll have to work hard against the ball to cement a starting spot in a DF team! If he can get the chance and then take it, he might just solve the ongoing number 10 issue. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Best performance by far. You can see the PL potential now.

What, from 30 mins football against a team in relegation trouble!      Like to know where you shop for glasses!     He was great today, made a difference, agree his best but needs to do it regular before there’s any EPL potential.    Remember Steipermann and Vrancic and Leitner, Trybull, played regular in 18/19 but went missing in the EPL.   

3 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

What, from 30 mins football against a team in relegation trouble!      Like to know where you shop for glasses!     He was great today, made a difference, agree his best but needs to do it regular before there’s any EPL potential.    Remember Steipermann and Vrancic and Leitner, Trybull, played regular in 18/19 but went missing in the EPL.   

Just my opinion. Why do you find it necessary to be insulting?

Just now, ron obvious said:

Just my opinion. Why do you find it necessary to be insulting?

Was I!   Apologies.  
I just can’t see how fans can see the potential in just a few minutes play!    He needs opportunities first and to then perform like that regularly.  The step up is huge.    Fan reaction to Mumbas 15 mins v Swansea was kind of.... he’s the next wonder kid when realistically he just had a very good few minutes.    Similarly Sorensen is the answer to our midfield issue when we simply have no idea yet.   

• Like 1

I think there have been signs in the last two games that he's feeling his way back into the season and we'll see more of him in the run in. 

He has better close control than Stiepermann and links midfield and attack much better than Rupp. If it hadn't been for the bad injury suffered at the start of the season, I think he'd have been a regular starter. 

With some games under his belt, I think we'll see the player we hoped we'd signed in the summer. 

16 hours ago, Petriix said:

You actually have to hit the target to get a goal. I was pleased to see him given 30 minutes and, while he got into a couple of great positions, I was actually a little disappointed with his work when we lost the ball.

A massive part of playing for Norwich City is working hard, tracking back and doing the basics with exemplary discipline. Fair enough if you've played 70 minutes and you switch off once when you're knackered. If you've just come on as a sub, you need to run the hard yards in the middle of the park, not gently jog back while they attack us.

He definitely needs more minutes but, while clearly technically less gifted, I can absolutely see why Rupp is starting ahead of him. Dowell definitely brings a different dimension to the 10 role. I just hope he's able to be the complete package. He probably just needs a goal to get him started.

Maybe that's why Farke has been starting Rupp and Vrancic in front of him - trying to get that extra 10% out of him.

A common comment amongst KD's loan clubs was that he shied away when his team are under pressure, so that's something I'm keeping an eye on.  

15 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I thought it was a big call by Farke to bring him on and not Vrancic. He did well and should boost his confidence. No complaints but still rate Mario.

I was expecting Mario too, albeit in a deeper role. He's often the go to super sub when a comeback is needed.

It was a bit more encouraging performance, but did miss an easy opportunity to put Cantwell through on goal. Todd made a great run into the penalty area and Dowell delayed a simple pass and the opportunity was missed.  I guess these things happen, but it is things like that which can win or lose games, so although he looked better than in prevous games, he has a way to go yet to be a first choice player imo.

My heart sank a bit when he was announced as the sub coming on but then he did look a lot better than previous appearances when he got on. I'd been starting to doubt whether we should have signed him and I'm still not 100% convinced, but it's nice to finally see some promise.

Definitely looked up for it on Sunday, and as others have said a lot more encouraging than he has been - assume Farkes words are still ringing in his ears. 

LDC - he was fouled and won a free-kick but I did think the same. However, from the reverse angle it looked like the defender was in the way to thread the ball through which might explain why he tried to delay making the pass. Definitely hasn't done enough to press for a start in that cameo, but if he can perform like that every time he comes on he might manage to break through. Need some assists and goals from him though with Stiepi coming  back

Think he played ok yesterday but still has a long way to go yet to prove his worth.

This is a team of guys who have given their all this season. Who have defended to a man, guys like Vrancic who has scored vital goals. 

Dowell as yet has proved nothing. But lets hope he will