Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Cantwells goal for this who did not see it

2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

I think Cantwell is somewhat over-rated and today's game is a good example of how.

He did nothing for 75 minutes. The second that goal flew in, the commentator said 'now that's Premier League class' or something to that effect.

There's no denying that the goal was excellent, and Cantwell flashes these moments of brilliance once or twice a game. That goal was literally all he contributed to the win today though. He did nothing else noteworthy.

There's a strong element of confirmation bias. He seems to have garnered this reputation as being an undoubtedly Premier League level player, so now every time he does something good, this has to be mentioned. Someone like Pukki, on the other hand, has garnered a reputation as not being good enough for the Prem. So when he scores a goal that is equally good - and arguably better - AND contributes significantly more over the course of 90 minutes, his praise isn't as high.

I like Cantwell, and I think he's a good player, but I think some people are far too high on him. He scored the winning goal, but he'd be one of the last names I'd list as being the reason that Norwich won.

Twit

• Thanks 1

I would argue that still finding a way to influence a game late on, despite the previous how ever many minutes being ineffective makes you a higher level player. 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm sorry, but he really didn't. Teemu was just as bad as everybody else in our team for the first 45 minutes (including Cantwell). Of course there is a reason why Cantwell MIGHT turn into a top Premier League player whereas it's unlikely that Teemu will ever quite make that grade - it's because Todd has just turned 23 and Teemu will very soon be 31. 

I respectfully disagree about Pukki's performance. The first half performance in general wasn't very good but Pukki pressed and harried a lot and well. Like others, he had a better second half than his first and a couple of half decent chances. He impacted the game in ways that went beyond one fantastic finish. Cantwell didn't.

You're absolutely right that the age is an important factor in how these players are perceived though. Cantwell certainly has a lot of potential and could become a good player at the top level, whereas Pukki is as good as he is going to be. 

That's what quality players do. Todd is a eccentric player that will try things and when they don't come off its frustrating but he never goes hiding. I was frustrated with how he had played first half but that's more because whatever he tried didn't come off, he didn't sulk or throw his arms up and give up though.

Without that bit of flair and confidence he probably would have just tried to pass it to Pukki or something.

Let's face it, he's a quality player that is improving his consistency. If he does this sort of stuff consistently then he won't be playing for Norwich much longer. We should appreciate what we have with him, we'll need that quality next season even more so.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, markdmhoward said:

I would argue that still finding a way to influence a game late on, despite the previous how ever many minutes being ineffective makes you a higher level player. 

Completely agree.

The quality of that strike tells us all we need to know about Cantwell, utter class to pick out the top corner from there with his so called weaker foot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markdmhoward said:

I think that's silly.

Player A: effective for 90 minutes and scores

Player B: ineffective for 90 minutes but scores

Player B is a higher level player? 

11 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I think that's silly.

I'm sorry, but this sort of silliness is in fact a perfect example of confirmation bias - ON YOUR BEHALF. Even on the commentary they were saying in the first half how anonymous Teemu was. Yes, he harried about, but then so did Cantwell.  Continuing to try and argue that Teemu was effective for 90 minutes today when he clearly wasn't tells us nothing about the reality of what happened and EVERYTHING about your particular individual prejudices. 

15 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I think that's silly.

I wasn't comparing Cantwell and Pukki. I was saying that someone who can produce an assist or goal and change a game, despite being poor overall, will always be in high regard as a 'premiership standard' player. 

You inferred that Cantwell isn't Prem standard and is overrated by most. I'd say the opposite, he seems underrated by many on here. Perhaps not so much lately.

Edited by markdmhoward

4 hours ago, South Sider said:

Far too cocky

Far too confident

Jesus christ, the lad gets slated for everything he does. Won us the game. All I care about. Well done Todd 😁

Also I loved the fact that on 75 minutes Sky put up the stat that in the last 15 minutes City have scored 15 goals conceding 4 whereas Wednesday have scored 4 conceding 15 (give or take) and the commentators were saying  that would be a bit worrying for Wednesday fans. Then almost immediately Todd scores a belter. Perfect !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Awesome first touch, even better finish but what about the tackle from Buendia and the assist. Superb goal all round.

Lovely finish but I can’t see the first touch as being “awesome”.  Todd is clearly one of our starters in any ‘best XI’ and it’s odd that some can’t/won’t see it - though he can certainly be a bit ‘annoying’...

Edited by Branston Pickle

On 14/03/2021 at 17:39, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm sorry, but this sort of silliness is in fact a perfect example of confirmation bias - ON YOUR BEHALF. Even on the commentary they were saying in the first half how anonymous Teemu was. Yes, he harried about, but then so did Cantwell.  Continuing to try and argue that Teemu was effective for 90 minutes today when he clearly wasn't tells us nothing about the reality of what happened and EVERYTHING about your particular individual prejudices. 

Eh? How does Cantwell scoring a wonder goal confirm my bias that he is over-rated?

Pukki certainly wasn't effective for 90 minutes. If I said that then I misspoke. He was absent first half, but the overall performance was luckluster at best. He was MORE effective over the 90 than Cantwell though, and scored an equally impressive goal. That was my point.

Edited by Mackrel829

On 14/03/2021 at 14:53, Mackrel829 said:

I think Cantwell is somewhat over-rated and today's game is a good example of how.

He did nothing for 75 minutes. The second that goal flew in, the commentator said 'now that's Premier League class' or something to that effect.

There's no denying that the goal was excellent, and Cantwell flashes these moments of brilliance once or twice a game. That goal was literally all he contributed to the win today though. He did nothing else noteworthy.

There's a strong element of confirmation bias. He seems to have garnered this reputation as being an undoubtedly Premier League level player, so now every time he does something good, this has to be mentioned. Someone like Pukki, on the other hand, has garnered a reputation as not being good enough for the Prem. So when he scores a goal that is equally good - and arguably better - AND contributes significantly more over the course of 90 minutes, his praise isn't as high.

I like Cantwell, and I think he's a good player, but I think some people are far too high on him. He scored the winning goal, but he'd be one of the last names I'd list as being the reason that Norwich won.

OK then, moving swiftly on

On 14/03/2021 at 19:16, Curandero said:

Mackrel829 politely said his opinion and everyone starts making fun of hiim like little insecure bullies...

Not seen anyone 'making fun of him' or 'bullying' him. Why make things up?

On 14/03/2021 at 17:14, Thirsty Lizard said:

Of course there is a reason why Cantwell MIGHT turn into a top Premier League player whereas it's unlikely that Teemu will ever quite make that grade - it's because Todd has just turned 23 and Teemu will very soon be 31. 

What a ludicrous statement, just as ludicrous as the tripe that Mackeral wrote about Cantwell. 

He scored 11 goals last season and only really went downhill after breaking his toe and then playing with a broken toe (because we desperately need a quality backup).

Callum Wilson seasonal goal tallies in Premier League are 5, 6, 8, 14, 8. And yet he goes for £20m from Prem side to Prem side and wins 4 England caps in the process.

Antonio season goal tallies in the Premier League are 8. 9. 3. 6, 10, 7 and there's articles about England needing to cap him so that Jamaica don't.

Brighton's main man Maupey scored 10 last season and is on 7 this season.  

Pukki is already Premier League class!!!! (I know you like exclamation marks)

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What a ludicrous statement, just as ludicrous as the tripe that Mackeral wrote about Cantwell. 

He scored 11 goals last season and only really went downhill after breaking his toe and then playing with a broken toe (because we desperately need a quality backup).

Callum Wilson seasonal goal tallies in Premier League are 5, 6, 8, 14, 8. And yet he goes for £20m from Prem side to Prem side and wins 4 England caps in the process.

Antonio season goal tallies in the Premier League are 8. 9. 3. 6, 10, 7 and there's articles about England needing to cap him so that Jamaica don't.

Brighton's main man Maupey scored 10 last season and is on 7 this season.  

Pukki is already Premier League class!!!! (I know you like exclamation marks)

Probably best to read what I posted before depositing your usual cowpat of p*ss and wind onto this message board.

I said that Teemu will probably never quite make the grade of being a TOP Premier League player - but nuance really isn't your strong point is it? 

There's a lot of 'playing the man not the ball' on this forum. It's pretty tedious. If you disagree with someone then at least try to articulate why rather than resorting to petty insults. Most of us are here for a discussion, not a playground scrap.

I think Cantwell played well for most of the game, not just his goal. And it was a sublime finish.

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

There's a lot of 'playing the man not the ball' on this forum. It's pretty tedious

The comments around ifollow being a prime example,  very dull stuff

47 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

The comments around ifollow being a prime example,  very dull stuff

That is quite ironic from you FF.