Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Away end at Sheffield Wednesday

48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ah yes, the early 80's - the days of violence, caging in of fans and uncontrolled crowds.  Football was not in a good place then and these highlights show some of the reasons why. 

A bit of a dramatic statement in the context of this game.

Was at Hillboro 1975 to se FA Cup Semi Final Fulham v Brum.  Was stuck behind a terrace barrier for most of match it was very uncomfortable and worrying.  Since then became educated football wise in 3 years at UEA.  Then in 1989 had a similar experience at Holte End at Norwich v Everton Semi was concerned for my safety as stuck at back and perched on the edge of terrrace step slightest push could have been disaster.  Meanwhile at Wednesday at the other Semi there was that disaster.  Not the best of memories thank god we didn't score.   

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Nobody has mentioned yet the Sheff Wed fan in our penalty area when the cross came in for their winner at the death.

Ken Brown not having noticed the fan in his interview at the end.

Jack Charlton dealing with the massive pitch invasion of Wednesday fans.

My forgiveness that Keith Bertschin was a Binner !

Losing the game but still going up because Leicester could only draw that day.

10,000 Norwich fans at an away game with no sign of a membership scheme, Nutty's 750 Elite group or online ticketing.

No Sky Sports, iFollow or illegal streams.

Well worth a six minute watch for you young 'uns to show that proper football was around back in the dark ages of 40 years ago.

I was there that day as a young fan. Stood in the corner section to the right of goal as you look at it. Superb atmosphere, great final result. Went up on a bus with a load of mates and some of us had to sit three to a seat on the bus!

Happy days

11 hours ago, sonyc said:

I wish I had been in this away end. Look how mental the fans were and what it meant to the players. I bet quite a few on here would have been there!

I was there!  A truly brilliant day.  We lost, but we won.  And we took Hillsborough from the Wendies!

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I know this was at home and not away, but often times when I think of Wednesday there's one thing, just one momment, that comes to mind

When I watch that I often wonder if the Wednesday player who goes back towards his goal actually distracts his own keeper. Its movement the keeper does not need as Mario runs up to strike that peach of a shot.

I think City were the first team to visit Hillsborough after the tragedy in the Cup Semi Final between Forest and Liverpool a few months earlier.

From memory we won 2-0, Dave Phillips scoring in the first few minutes whuch i missed because everyone was being frisked by plod before being allowed anywhere close to the Ground entrance.

19 minutes ago, duke63 said:

When I watch that I often wonder if the Wednesday player who goes back towards his goal actually distracts his own keeper. Its movement the keeper does not need as Mario runs up to strike that peach of a shot.

Also remember the Police being very aggressive outside and inside. Weds fans sat on the pitch after full time to stop players coming out to celebrate. 

Wednesday had been up there all season but blew it in the last few months. The beginning of a golden era with 3 top 5 finishes in the first division / Premiership league and a Wembley cup win. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow