Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Away end at Sheffield Wednesday

Yes I’ve sen some really good (and some really bad) City performances there.

I remember back in the day when we had Neilsen on loan and they just couldn’t handle him and we won 5-1 with a bunch of very simple goals. He was never as good after he signed permanently somehow 🤔.

Also back in November 2018 we were starting to play well, but in the first half missed a penalty and it was 0-0 at half time, but soon after half time Teemu scored and we blew them away 4-0, that was when I first felt we were onto something special that season.

I wish I had been in this away end. Look how mental the fans were and what it meant to the players. I bet quite a few on here would have been there!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I remember back in the day when we had Neilsen on loan and they just couldn’t handle him and we won 5-1 with a bunch of very simple goals. He was never as good after he signed permanently somehow 🤔..

My first away game 😊 just after Christmas in 2001. Always think of that when we play Sheff weds. 

14 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I remember back in the day when we had Neilsen on loan and they just couldn’t handle him and we won 5-1 with a bunch of very simple goals. He was never as good after he signed permanently somehow 🤔.

Also back in November 2018 we were starting to play well, but in the first half missed a penalty and it was 0-0 at half time, but soon after half time Teemu scored and we blew them away 4-0, that was when I first felt we were onto something special that season.

Agreed - that was a seriously impressive second half performance. Trips to Sheffield are always special. Drive to Meadowhall, park, meet family who come down from York and then the tram to Hillsborough / Granville Road (for Blades). Always strange how the atmosphere and camaraderie is far more relaxed at Hillsborough than at Bramall Lane where the natives (well some anyway) are less welcoming and have more of an 'edge' to them!    

40 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Would have been packed today, nice sunny day, plenty of colours, such a shame we’re stuck at home.

Just reading that they be using the FA Cup Final with crowds as an experiment. Need to test before (negative) and if it's successful there will be a road back to crowds in stadiums 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I wish I had been in this away end. Look how mental the fans were and what it meant to the players. I bet quite a few on here would have been there!

That was one of the most confusing and stressful days as a supporter. The only up to the second communication was from the radio, no internet keeping you up to date. At one stage everyone went crazy about a rumour that we were going up and then events on the pitch changed that. At the end of the game some of us still weren't sure whether we had done it. The radio kept prattling on about Liverpool winning the title. On the train home, the good old/bad old days of supporters specials, I was exhausted.

I'd do it all again in a heart beat. 😀 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

That was one of the most confusing and stressful days as a supporter. The only up to the second communication was from the radio, no internet keeping you up to date. At one stage everyone went crazy about a rumour that we were going up and then events on the pitch changed that. At the end of the game some of us still weren't sure whether we had done it. The radio kept prattling on about Liverpool winning the title. On the train home, the good old/bad old days of supporters specials, I was exhausted.

I'd do it all again in a heart beat. 😀 

I remember going mental when we equalised, despairing when they scored the winner and going mental again when the radio confirmed Leicester had drawn 0-0 (I think). There were loads of Wednesday fans spoiling for a fight at the end on the way back to the car park - some of them got their wish.

Did the Great Yorkshire Run there in 2012 and the route pretty much went from Sheffield city centre, past the Crucible Theatre, and up towards Hillsborough and back. Enjoyable run, even if I did miss my target time by twenty seconds.

50 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I especially remember the 3-3 draw, 3-0 down after an hour and seemingly completely beaten - a blaster from Bowen got us going, with Ekoku and Sutton with the follow ups. Memorable come back, all six goals in the space of about half an hour too.

I've made a few trips up to Hillsborough. Used to live in Nottingham so it's a fairly easy shot up the M1 from there.

Most recently, Hillsborough is the site where I left earlier than I ever have in my life (70th minute at 5-1 down - March 2017) and where I knew in my gut that we were going to go on and win the title  (4-0 in Nov 2018 - I'd decided the week before we were going up one way or another, and the demolition in Hillsborough was enough for me to pronounce us Champions elect). I skipped the 5-1 defeat in the middle as couldn't face going back there after the previous season's mauling. I'd 100% have gone today.

Still possibly my worst ever day supporting us in 40 yrs was there in the FA Cup semi final vs Sunderland. Still a day that haunts me.

Defeat just wasnt on my radar on the morning of the game. To watch our players completely freeze on the occasion against a division 2 team to this day remains a mystery

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Still possibly my worst ever day supporting us in 40 yrs was there in the FA Cup semi final vs Sunderland. Still a day that haunts me.

Defeat just wasnt on my radar on the morning of the game. To watch our players completely freeze on the occasion against a division 2 team to this day remains a mystery

my heart is still broken....all those daffodils...all that hope...that linesman...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Would have been packed today, nice sunny day, plenty of colours, such a shame we’re stuck at home.

We would have taken a big crowd....a lunchtime k/o on a Sunday may have meant a slightly less than normal following

..its occasions like Forest away this coming midweek where it really hits home for me. That would have been a classic away day as a evening match in Nottingham

25 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I remember going mental when we equalised, despairing when they scored the winner and going mental again when the radio confirmed Leicester had drawn 0-0 (I think). There were loads of Wednesday fans spoiling for a fight at the end on the way back to the car park - some of them got their wish.

This.....one of my first away days. 

I remember the crowd gradually being aware that we had done it. Tremendous scenes.....completely bonkers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

That was definitely one of the best away days (even though we lost). Absolutely bonkers covers it nicely 

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

I was flying to New Zealand when that game was on and could not find out the result for approx 36 hours. 

I've also been in the away end there, as a Chelsea 'fan' (went with mates who were Chelsea fans). Thankfully(!) I missed the Sunderland S/F game as I had to work (although working with a Sunderland fan that day did not help the mood at all 😞 )

13 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We would have taken a big crowd....a lunchtime k/o on a Sunday may have meant a slightly less than normal following

..its occasions like Forest away this coming midweek where it really hits home for me. That would have been a classic away day as a evening match in Nottingham

Agreed - atmosphere at Forest is always amazing with The Mull of Kintyre just before kick off. Brilliantly orchestrated with the tannoy cutting out and the entire crowd thundering it to conclusion. Very impressive. Easy journey to Forest and the tight, competitive away end makes for a really good day.   

I like Hillsborough - the in-laws were from up that way, half an hour drive over the moors, so used to go when visiting, parking at Owlerton. Definitely far more relaxed and welcoming than the Blades ever have been...  

31 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I know this was at home and not away, but often times when I think of Wednesday there's one thing, just one momment, that comes to mind

Awesome but REALY no need for Celine Dion crooning in the background. 

• Haha 1

Nobody has mentioned yet the Sheff Wed fan in our penalty area when the cross came in for their winner at the death.

Ken Brown not having noticed the fan in his interview at the end.

Jack Charlton dealing with the massive pitch invasion of Wednesday fans.

My forgiveness that Keith Bertschin was a Binner !

Losing the game but still going up because Leicester could only draw that day.

10,000 Norwich fans at an away game with no sign of a membership scheme, Nutty's 750 Elite group or online ticketing.

No Sky Sports, iFollow or illegal streams.

Well worth a six minute watch for you young 'uns to show that proper football was around back in the dark ages of 40 years ago.

Edited by TIL 1010

I was fortunate to see Norwich at Derby and Leicester in April ( superb performances) and was at Hillsborough too. All 3 matches were cash at the turnstiles too which is remarkable. 

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Nobody has mentioned yet the Sheff Wed fan in our penalty area when the cross came in for their winner at the death.

10,000 Norwich fans at an away game with no sign of a membership scheme.

Well worth a six minute watch for you young 'uns to show that proper football was around back in the dark ages of 40 years ago.

Great video, fans were definitely louder back then. I remember the Wednesday players being stripped on the pitch too after the final whistle. 

I was there that day and yes the atmosphere was fantastic even though we lost.

I remember we parked up on a piece of waste ground behind their kop end.

When we found out that Leicester had only drawn 0-0 with Shrewsbury and we had been promoted everyone went mental.

20 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Ah yes, the early 80's - the days of violence, caging in of fans and uncontrolled crowds.  Football was not in a good place then and these highlights show some of the reasons why. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

10,000 Norwich fans at an away game with no sign of a membership scheme, Nutty's 750 Elite group or online ticketing.

No Sky Sports, iFollow or illegal streams.

I see Leicester still had a remaining fixture after this match. The Foxes  would have gone up if they’d beaten Shrewsbury and then Orient mid week, it wasn’t just Coventry who waited until the season had finished for everyone else.