Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Murray Walker

Part of what made F1 for me back in the 80's and early 90's, alongside drivers with levels of bravery we'll not see the like of again, v8's and The Chain...

A sad day.

Although best known for his F1 career, Murray was a massive fan of motorcycle racing, his early years spent commentating scrambles and road racing. His father Graham was a very good motorcycle racer who was the editor of Motor Cycling and, I believe, rode in the Isle of Man TT. Graham was also involved in setting up, and was one of the first trustees, of the ACU Benevolent Fund which gives financial help to riders injured when competing.

I was fortunate to be marshalling at Woodcote for the epic Sheene v Roberts British GP that Murray was commentating for the BBC (remember the infamous Sheene 'waving' comment). During practice Murray stood by us with a clipboard. For about  half an hour he watched the action intently, obviously  recording lap times of the top riders. He then came over to us and, pointing at bank of new fangled digital stopwatches, enquired "Do any of you know how to work these blooming things?". At first he looked taken aback when we burst out laughing, but then saw the funny side of it and had a chuckle himself. He then spent the rest of the session quizzing us about the riders, obviously gleaning incidental information for the commentary - ever the professional. About 20 minutes later, much to our surprise, someone came over from the clubhouse with a tray of bacon butties, courtesy of Murray Waker.

• Like 2

RIP Murray. An absolute legend.

He always supported the British drivers; Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell especially.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

RIP Murray. An absolute legend.

He always supported the British drivers; Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell especially.

Not forgetting James Hunt too - also their co-commentating was sometimes hilarious.

• Like 1

Possibly the biggest legend connected to F1 who never drove a car or worked for a team.

RIP Murray Walker.

Must be one of the few universally loved commentators. RIP, the man made F1 exciting where races were often dull. 

Some quotes - I thought there was one where he mentions someone behind the leader in the blue ferrari, but could not find it.

"There's nothing wrong with the car except it's on fire"

"With half the race gone there is half the race to go"

"I imagine the conditions in those cars are totally unimaginable"

"Either that car is stationary or it's on the move"

"Do my eyes deceive me or is Senna's car sounding a bit rough?"

"And the first five places are filled with five different cars"

"And this is the third-placed car about to lap the second-placed car"

"The battle is well and truly on if it wasn't on before, and it certainly was"

"Two laps to go, then the action will begin. Unless this is the action, which it is"

"I'm going for first" (Explaining away a British Touring car driver putting up his middle finger)

Murray: "There's a firey glow coming from the back of the Ferrari!" - James Hunt: "No Murray, that's his rear safety light"

"Let's watch this typical Formula Ford start!" (instead they promptly all ran into each other)

"It's a sad ending, albeit a happy one, here at Montreal for today's Grand Prix"

"Andrea de Cesaris, the man who has won more grand prix than anyone else without actually winning one"

"Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken!"

"And now excuse me while I interrupt myself!"

"The young Ralf Schumacher has been upstaged by teenager Jenson Button, who is 20"
"It would have been Senna's third win in a row if he'd won the two before"

"I'm ready to stop my start watch"

• Like 1

A comentator who spoke with true passion and knowledge about the subject. Yes, he had Murrayisms but that is part of his charm. 
Much better than many of todays football comentators who think shouting or straining words through their nostrils show passion. 

RIP Murray, one of a kind. (Should have been knighted)

• Like 1