Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Wilder sacked

Find this an odd choice - not sure who they could appoint who would have a better chance of getting them repromoted next season and as with us they have suffered with CB injuries undermining any slim chance they had of staying up a second time.

He has struggled to integrate new signings to what had become a close knit squad who had grown with him.

I wont shed tears but sometimes  you have to question boards thought processes. 

1 hour ago, GJP said:

Brewster looked like a desperation signing to me. He might do alright for them next season but never looked like the answer for this season.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Yes he could be good in the Championship but they certainly didnt pay a Championship fee for him.

Dominic Solanke all over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJP said:

Brewster looked like a desperation signing to me. He might do alright for them next season but never looked like the answer for this season.

I’d be putting a very cheeky bid in during the summer, think he would score goals in our side

Maybe some of the current signings were not of Wilder's choosing?

Might explain why they are up **** creek and some don't play very often.

Could be a very costly decision for the Chairman.

Just one year ago, we walked up to Bramall Lane wishing we were in their position, a year on and the roles are completely reversed.

1 minute ago, duke63 said:

Maybe some of the current signings were not of Wilder's choosing?

Might explain why they are up **** creek and some don't play very often.

Could be a very costly decision for the Chairman.

Just one year ago, we walked up to Bramall Lane wishing we were in their position, a year on and the roles are completely reversed.

Thinks that's the problem they were Wilders siģnings.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I wonder if a certain Jock with Champions League winner on his CV will apply ?  😂

Shhhh. Paul likes to keep that quiet and would prefer not to mention that he has played for some big clubs. Massive clubs . Overseas clubs with massive fans and won massive cups . And that he has never known any fans like we have at *insert name here* .  And that Judgey never said anathen. 

Looking at Wilders record he is obviously a very good coach. This is his one blip. The transfer business Sheffield United have done this year has been appalling (not sure who is responsible for that) plus losing key players to injury & teams getting use to playing his system all add up to a miserable season for them...

He'll be snapped up pretty soon I would have thought. As for Sheffield Utd, I'd be worried if I was a Blades fan which gladly I am not.

It's just football. He took the credit for the good times (and yes they overachieved last year) - and now he takes the blame for the bad.

That said, its difficult not to hold him somewhat responsible for their appalling season, the transfers etc. A comparison with City last year I don't think is valid either - we never spent the money,  knew we would likely be relegated., an overwhelming injury crisis and all accepted that we were a club in transition. If as we all hope we get promoted as champions again it is in the next season in the EPL that Farke as an EPL manager will be judged. He and the club more than deserve the chance.

WILDER LEAVES SHEFF UTD headlines on SSN not sacked but leaves ambiguous.  Whatever Heckingbottom to take charge.  

Never is there not a time or an excuse to remind ourselves...😅

IMG_20210312_133809.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

So, the word from Sheffield 2:

The Prince is obviously not happy about impending relegation.  He is more upset with the quality of transfers though, and wanted to appoint a Webber style DoF to handle the transfers and ensure improved quality.  However Wilder was not happy with that, despite his innovative use of overlapping centre backs he is old school in wanting complete control.  Discussions have been ongoing, but Wilder was not persuaded and was going to walk, but the delay in confirmation is of course financial.  Rumours abound about a move to Celtic (bound to pee off Lambert).

3 hours ago, duke63 said:

Can I be first to say “why aren’t we Fulham?” when we get turned over by them at craven cottage next year...again!

4 hours ago, GJP said:

I'm actually wondering whether we may be able to circle like vultures and snag a couple of their younger players.

Bogle and Brewster are both only 20 and are undoubtedly talented, and if any manager can get them to realise their potential it is Farke. Max Lowe the left back is also a good player but we seem to have that position sorted (at least we do if McCallum is considered good enough to enter our first team squad as the second left back, otherwise we may still need one). 

Both play in positions where we need a succession plan really, right back and striker. I guess Mumba is the succession play for right back, but his versatility means that he could just as easily end up in a different position.

Ramsdale was a panic signing too after they failed to bring Henderson back, it was certainly priced like a panic buy. That's the risk of relying on borrowing players from other clubs without any right to buy clauses inserted, as we know ourselves with this Skipp headache.

Sander Berge undoubtedly their best player but he won't be affordable for us, he has interest from further up the food chain.

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

It's just football. He took the credit for the good times (and yes they overachieved last year) - and now he takes the blame for the bad.

That said, its difficult not to hold him somewhat responsible for their appalling season, the transfers etc. A comparison with City last year I don't think is valid either - we never spent the money,  knew we would likely be relegated., an overwhelming injury crisis and all accepted that we were a club in transition. If as we all hope we get promoted as champions again it is in the next season in the EPL that Farke as an EPL manager will be judged. He and the club more than deserve the chance.

Were his transfers really that appalling though? 

He could have acquired a load of 29 year old journeymen with 200 Premier League games like Harry Redknapp, but has instead planned for the long term and brought in talented young players. Yes, some of those young players look a bit out of their depth, but so did some of ours last season which is why our young back line got torn to shreds every week.

Berge 23, Lowe 23, Bogle 20, Brewster 20, Ramsdale 22, Burke 23, McBurnie 23, all long before the age at which they'd expect to be at their peak, he should have been given the opportunity to rebuild with this youth as the spine and return stronger, just like Farke was really, having a lot of young players was our excuse wasn't it? 

His transfer business suggested that he had the long term interests of the club at heart and was planning for the next 5 years. Losing Henderson must have been a huge blow, and I'm not sure how you really go about losing a keeper that good, and like us last season they had multiple defensive injuries so got off to a bad start.

I think they should have stuck with him. 

• Like 3

I think the biggest disappointment is that this didn't happen 3 weeks ago so we could enjoy the Binners speculating about how Wilder and Town are the perfect fit and new dynasty was about to emerge...

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

That may or may not be true in this case but it is likely clubs have looked at the way having a DoF and a head coach has worked for us and now think it is the way to go for them.

I genuinely believe that some will see it as that simple.  Webber had root and branch control over the way we were to move forward, which is great when you are stuck in mid table obscurity but Sheff Utd will need a complete overhaul for a DOF to work next season.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see them recouping the money that they have spent in the last two years (£60m on 3 strikers (Brewster, Mousset and McBurnie) but still regularly turning to McGoldrick and Sharp)  They don't have a Buendia, an Aarons, a Lewis a Godfrey or a Cantwell.  By that, I don't mean they don't have good players but that their better players aren't at an age where a top 6 club will see them as a good investment.

Under Wilder, they would have had a good shot at coming straight back.  Without him but with a new structure and a pile of debt, I'm not so sure.  Could be closer to league one than the prem this time next year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sonyc said:

IMG_20210312_133809.jpg

That's my pack lunch sorted for Monday 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

AFC54888-AEF0-4DBF-8E76-493307D1FB4F.thumb.png.05d37a5dfa1c74130d52a97f4f548685.png

Some respect from Mr Lineker! He’s right though, Wilder not being treating with enough respect for what he’s done. Surely he’s the best chance they’ve got of coming straight back up?

16 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

AFC54888-AEF0-4DBF-8E76-493307D1FB4F.thumb.png.05d37a5dfa1c74130d52a97f4f548685.png

Some respect from Mr Lineker! He’s right though, Wilder not being treating with enough respect for what he’s done. Surely he’s the best chance they’ve got of coming straight back up?

Burnley is the better example. We’ve kept the faith with Farke this time but binned off Hughton and Neill in similar ways in the past!

7 hours ago, sonyc said:

IMG_20210312_133809.jpg

Looks a bit like Solskjaer there - apart from the frown, anyway!

22 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That can of course be a huge mistake if you get the wrong one. I think you need to pick the Director first then let him pick the coach. 

An interesting concept given Webber is leaving next summer. I wonder where that leaves Farke?

Anyway, Sheff Utd have spent a lot of money in relative terms but from what I've seen of them this season look every inch a Championship team.

On the one hand I'm not surprised he's gone. I think he's been found out at the higher level.

23 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

That may or may not be true in this case but it is likely clubs have looked at the way having a DoF and a head coach has worked for us and now think it is the way to go for them.

We shouldn't underestimate how competent Stuart Webber is at his job. Over the course of his tenure here, he has done a hugely impressive job, which won't have gone unnoticed by other chairpersons/boards.

4 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

We shouldn't underestimate how competent Stuart Webber is at his job. Over the course of his tenure here, he has done a hugely impressive job, which won't have gone unnoticed by other chairpersons/boards.

Agreed and you'll in all likelihood see proof of that in just over 12 months time when he leaves. 

18 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Were his transfers really that appalling though? 

He could have acquired a load of 29 year old journeymen with 200 Premier League games like Harry Redknapp, but has instead planned for the long term and brought in talented young players. Yes, some of those young players look a bit out of their depth, but so did some of ours last season which is why our young back line got torn to shreds every week.

Berge 23, Lowe 23, Bogle 20, Brewster 20, Ramsdale 22, Burke 23, McBurnie 23, all long before the age at which they'd expect to be at their peak, he should have been given the opportunity to rebuild with this youth as the spine and return stronger, just like Farke was really, having a lot of young players was our excuse wasn't it? 

His transfer business suggested that he had the long term interests of the club at heart and was planning for the next 5 years. Losing Henderson must have been a huge blow, and I'm not sure how you really go about losing a keeper that good, and like us last season they had multiple defensive injuries so got off to a bad start.

I think they should have stuck with him. 

Think you are spot on. We don't know exactly what has happened but Wilder has talked continually of 'the plan' which (apparently) was to steadily restructure the squad with younger players and the one's you list is evidence of that. It's quite possible that Wilder (being so called 'old school') wanted more control than the Board were prepared to give him. Today there has been lots of talk of them wanting to 'bring someone in to help him'. Make of that what you will. It seems a clash of opinions over the future strategy of the club and as Wilder was an employee, that face off was only ever going to end one way! If the issues had been resolved and he had stayed then he would have made a damn good fist of getting them promoted again in my opinion. The next manager /  coach will be on a hiding to nothing 'for sure' as Wilder is a God up at Bramall Lane. 

33 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed and you'll in all likelihood see proof of that in just over 12 months time when he leaves. 

That's the spirit.

I don't get the repeated suggestions that Sheffield U have looked at what we've done and thought "a DoF is the way to go". We're hardly the first club to have thought of the idea.

15 hours ago, Just Dan said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see them recouping the money that they have spent in the last two years (£60m on 3 strikers (Brewster, Mousset and McBurnie) but still regularly turning to McGoldrick and Sharp) 

£60 million on three strikers that have so far this season scored scored one goal between them in about  50 appearances! David McGoldrick, a free transfer has scored 6 in 26 appearances.

Shows the importance of spending big to give yourself a chance! 🤦‍♂️

Be interesting to see how their investors handle the debt issue next year, following two years of "investment."

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

You mean, of course, that he will finish off by getting the board to accept his recommendation of a successor who will be well capable of carrying on his splendid work. Good news to hear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You mean, of course, that he will finish off by getting the board to accept his recommendation of a successor who will be well capable of carrying on his splendid work. Good news to hear.

TBF, it is a nuanced point. Succession planning is a key part of successful and responsible management. But Webber is hardly going to want to appoint someone who will make his efforts appear less impressive.