duke63

Pritchard on a free?

If Emi does leave which is in question cannot see Arsenal stumping up £40m.  We will need to replace with a bargain basement option any English alternatives will have any fees inflated.  Pritchard done very little to suggest he is fit to lace Emi's boots.  But Murphy as suggested could be that bargain on the right not in Emi's class but maybe a consideration. 

1 hour ago, pete said:

If Emi does leave which is in question cannot see Arsenal stumping up £40m.  We will need to replace with a bargain basement option any English alternatives will have any fees inflated.  Pritchard done very little to suggest he is fit to lace Emi's boots.  But Murphy as suggested could be that bargain on the right not in Emi's class but maybe a consideration. 

If Emi leaves we won't need a bargain basement option, we will have a fair bit of cash to spend I should think...

Any big money replacement will come with big money wages..... that isn't going to happen at City.

I'm not overly sure Farke rates Pritchard as a great player. He didn't want him to leave but I think even without our first choice wingers we have as good if not better. I don't see him as being massively better than say Hernandez for example.

Both Jacob Murphy and Pritchard have the advantage of knowing our set up and style so could potentially fit back in more quickly than a new signing from abroad. Silly to deny that they aren't at least potentials but I struggle to see it myself. Pritchard will be 28 at the beginning of May and has struggled to really build on the promise he showed out on loan from Spurs before signing for us and during his time with us.

Murphy I have more time for as he's 26 and has a bit more time on his side and flourished under Farke and in our system and style. He wasn't given a great chance by Benitez and then has played under Bruce, who whilst isn't Allardyce or Pulis, isn't far off it. I think he still has potential. Again, if we win promotion, I'm not really convinced he has what we would need to stay up.

Both players need to go somewhere they will be playing regularly. I suspect a relegated side or one looking to go up will sign them. Sort of in-between but not quite there players.

He was far better than either Murphy at Norwich  All three players would do well to get regular game time at an average Championship club now. 

I think the only former player Id have back would be Howson (ok ok, Maddison too) he's still got it. I think Pritchard had the talent but he's derailed himself with a poor move and maybe an attitude that hasn't seen him want to fight back to the top. 

Edited by birchfest

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He was far better than either Murphy at Norwich  All three players would do well to get regular game time at an average Championship club now. 

I assume you didn't watch Jacob Murphy coming on as an impact sub for Newcastle tonight in the Premier League? Josh Murphy is now a regular in a side chasing the playoffs; namely an above average Championship side.

Pritchard can't get in a Championship side fighting relegation.

55 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I assume you didn't watch Jacob Murphy coming on as an impact sub for Newcastle tonight in the Premier League? Josh Murphy is now a regular in a side chasing the playoffs; namely an above average Championship side.

Pritchard can't get in a Championship side fighting relegation.

I’ve watched football for the last 3/4 seasons, do a little more research. Stats for all 3 players since leaving Norwich please? Can’t be much between them. 

In fact it makes you think why we still get our knickers in a twist getting screwed over via Naismith after taking the money for Murphy’s X 2 and Alex.

Edited by Midlands Yellow

On 12/03/2021 at 10:48, Willmeister said:

Pritchard leaving was the best thing that ever happened to us. We signed Emi on the back of him leaving and now have a £40m-£50m player on our hands.

Not sure whats happened with Pritchard ? The season he had with us he was really some player ! He was worth the £11m Huddersfield paid. Only 3 goals in the 2 seasons for them in the prem but once they return to the Championship I thought he'd get back to form due to the lower level - but that hasn't happened at all.  I'm not sure if the way that they play doesn't suit him and he's lost all confidence ? Perhaps DF can get him back to his former self ? He must know that no-one will come in for him in his current state - so he can forget about his Huddersfield salary.

On 13/03/2021 at 00:15, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ve watched football for the last 3/4 seasons

Well done. I've watched it for over 60 years. Your move.

• Haha 2

It's a no from me, but not the worst call, imo, bearing in mind his form when with us. 

Probably worth a superficial investigation into the situation with it's various nuances.

Nothing to lose.

Edited by BroadstairsR

On 12/03/2021 at 16:00, Midlands Yellow said:

Jacob Murphy has done well for Newcastle for periods this season, and excelled last season on loan at Sheffield Wednesday in this league (which is why Bruce brought him back in from the cold and gave him a shot).

In fact, came on yesterday to rescue a point didn't he? Alan Shearer full of praise for that cameo.

Alex Pritchard has gone massively backwards since leaving us, Josh Murphy has stood still and probably regressed also. 

But Jacob Murphy has done a job for Newcastle as a squad player this season, was good in the Championship last season. I think he's well worth a place in our squad, and would have him back on a free if the wages are sensible. 

Not as an Emi replacement of course, but as an upgrade on Placheta who simply isn't the required standard. Onel hasn't exactly made much of an impact this season either has he? 

He doesn't improve the XI, but he does improve the squad.

• Like 1

TBH - the thought of (and the goals and assists this season) Connor Hourihane being not good enough to be in Villa squad just makes me wonder why we would even consider what’s his name...

4 hours ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

Nope....wanted to leave as soon as we were relegated. 

Hasn't done much since then.

He joined us when we were in the Championship

When he was with Norwich he was on a par with Maddison.

I don't know why their development went in such  different directions.

It's a big if but if he could get back on track I would have him back.

On 14/03/2021 at 11:56, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not as an Emi replacement of course, but as an upgrade on Placheta who simply isn't the required standard. Onel hasn't exactly made much of an impact this season either has he? 

He doesn't improve the XI, but he does improve the squad.

Makes sense to me. Our more direct options in AM are not good enough to worry Premiership teams.