Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Football Index being outed as a ponzi scheme will surely throw weight behind efforts to ban gambling ads on football shirts?

Could have implications for our revenue? 

Nottingham Forest fans are of course stuck with Football Index on their shirts!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Should be banned, that's all there is too it.

 

And get us back to Lotus

It was Lotus only on the away shirts. Proton had the home shirt sponsor then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Should be banned, that's all there is too it.

 

And get us back to Lotus

Yawn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Addictions or Additions

Edited by daly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Gambling additions ruin lives.

Ok I'll humour you,

By your own logic (Lotus), car crashes ruin lives too, so we surley we shouldn't promote fast cars? 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Ok I'll humour you,

By your own logic (Lotus), car crashes ruin lives too, so we surley we shouldn't promote fast cars? 

 

And they're bad for the environment (unless they're electric). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And they're bad for the environment (unless they're electric). 

An electric car sponsorship would be great. I'd buy that shirt.

I'm not sure why football has to be the last bastion of all things abhorrent in society but I like to think of our club as being a little more progressive thinking than the majority.

As unlikely as it seems I actually agree with CC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gambling doesn't ruin lives - Addiction to gambling (and many other things too) ruins lives. 

Cars don't crash on their own. As my driving instructor used to say to me, there is no such thing as a dangerous road, a road has never killed anyone. 

That said, i would encourage the removal of betting companies on football shirts, but due to the high financial input they generate I doubt it will happen, unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't aware of a gambling company holding a gun to my head and forcing me to gamble. Ceteris paribus, I'd like a different company to be on the shirt, but let's not forget that if they had no custom, they would not be able to afford such shirt sponsorship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wasn't aware of a gambling company holding a gun to my head and forcing me to gamble. Ceteris paribus, I'd like a different company to be on the shirt, but let's not forget that if they had no custom, they would not be able to afford such shirt sponsorship.

Its a difficult one. Nobody forces people to snort Coke but we would not have wanted Pablo Emilio Escobar as a sponsor. So thats a legal issue but morally no different.

Gambling is legal and horse racing, pointless without gambling, is called the sport of Kings. Nobody buys a lottery ticket for the good causes but for the millions. Scratch cards are a tax on the poor. All very legal.

Aviva are morally corrupt. Had car insurance with them for two years but the third year they added over £100 with no claims in the previous two years. Then they offered it to me cheaper when I said I was leaving.

As we have said on many other topics, we are all hypocrites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its a difficult one. Nobody forces people to snort Coke but we would not have wanted Pablo Emilio Escobar as a sponsor. So thats a legal issue but morally no different.

Gambling is legal and horse racing, pointless without gambling, is called the sport of Kings. Nobody buys a lottery ticket for the good causes but for the millions. Scratch cards are a tax on the poor. All very legal.

Aviva are morally corrupt. Had car insurance with them for two years but the third year they added over £100 with no claims in the previous two years. Then they offered it to me cheaper when I said I was leaving.

As we have said on many other topics, we are all hypocrites.

Whilst i agree we are all hypocrites.

Not sure that makes Aviva morally corrupt, as all companies do that, its business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Whilst i agree we are all hypocrites.

Not sure that makes Aviva morally corrupt, as all companies do that, its business. 

Well, yes, but gambling companies are businesses too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well, yes, but gambling companies are businesses too. 

Agreed, gambling companies arent the problem, its the addiction that's the problem. 

Its a massive question what causes that thats the issue.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we truly believe that by having a betting company sponsor, it directly effects the amount of people who turn to gambling and therefore more likely to be addicts? Prior to the flurry of betting  sponsors on shirts, there were still heavy gamblers and gambling addicts.

As if to say if indeed all football clubs had no link to gambling it would reduce the numbers of gambling addictions. I wouldn't of thought so, ofcourse this is unproven.

I would say what is more likely and easier to prove in the correlation of (and if there is more.gambling addicts in the last decade than any other time) is the ease of access to gambling because of smartphones, tablets and the internet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Should be banned, that's all there is too it.

 

And get us back to Lotus

Football has been directly funded by gambling for around 100 years.

Why do you feel that now is the time to make this stance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Football has been directly funded by gambling for around 100 years.

Why do you feel that now is the time to make this stance?

Gambling was much more tightly regulated prior to 2005, when Blair & Brown laid the foundations for the giant mess that we're in now, it is thanks to them that gambling companies have the wealth to outbid businesses in practically every other sector when it comes to shirt sponsorship.

It wasn't until after that point that gambling sponsorship on shirts was commonplace, in fact Betfair were the first ever Premier League gambling related sponsor in 2002... 18 years ago.

So you are pointing out here that there is 82 years when football seemed just fine without betting sponsors on the front of shirts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Do we truly believe that by having a betting company sponsor, it directly effects the amount of people who turn to gambling and therefore more likely to be addicts? Prior to the flurry of betting  sponsors on shirts, there were still heavy gamblers and gambling addicts.

Labour's deregulation of the gambling industry in 2005 definitely has led to a huge increase in the number of problem gamblers, yes, and were it not for that deregulation the industry wouldn't be the powerful behemoth that it has become and wouldn't be plastered on the shirts of all of our football clubs.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/29/gambling-addiction-labour-tom-watson-2005-levy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its a difficult one. Nobody forces people to snort Coke but we would not have wanted Pablo Emilio Escobar as a sponsor. So thats a legal issue but morally no different.

Gambling is legal and horse racing, pointless without gambling, is called the sport of Kings. Nobody buys a lottery ticket for the good causes but for the millions. Scratch cards are a tax on the poor. All very legal.

Aviva are morally corrupt. Had car insurance with them for two years but the third year they added over £100 with no claims in the previous two years. Then they offered it to me cheaper when I said I was leaving.

As we have said on many other topics, we are all hypocrites.

Sky TV do something similar if you say you're leaving. It's just the way of the world sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'd love us to take a stand and remove any betting related shirt sponsorship, but it's not just about that.

 

There's whole stadia named after betting companies, branding in the stands, on the advertising hoardings, and that's all without the juggernaut of SkyBet and Sky Sports' assault on the senses that leaches to every single game that's shown.

 

It's become an absolute beast of a problem.

Edited by Evil Monkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sky TV do something similar if you say you're leaving. It's just the way of the world sadly.

Every one does it. 

Ask your self this, if your selling your house / car whatever. And you get two offers. One is 10% higher, which are you going to accept? Simples. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Labour's deregulation of the gambling industry in 2005 definitely has led to a huge increase in the number of problem gamblers, yes, and were it not for that deregulation the industry wouldn't be the powerful behemoth that it has become and wouldn't be plastered on the shirts of all of our football clubs.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/29/gambling-addiction-labour-tom-watson-2005-levy

I'll let you in on a little secret TVB - the Tories have been in power since 2010 - haven't repealed this deregulation of the gambling industry have they? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Evil Monkey said:

I'd love us to take a stand and remove any betting related shirt sponsorship, but it's not just about that.

There's whole stadia named after betting companies, branding in the stands, on the advertising hoardings, and that's all without the juggernaut of SkyBet and Sky Sports' assault on the senses that leaches to every single game that's shown.

It's become an absolute beast of a problem.

Spain has just banned gambling sponsors. Its simple, we copy them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'll let you in on a little secret TVB - the Tories have been in power since 2010 - haven't repealed this deregulation of the gambling industry have they? 

They are undertaking a review of the 2005 act with various amendments to the legislation being considered, particularly surrounding advertising and including football shirt sponsorship. Do try and keep up, its literally the topic of the thread.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2021/02/government-considering-ban-football-shirt-gambling-sponsorship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

in fact Betfair were the first ever Premier League gambling related sponsor in 2002... 18 years ago.

When the South Stand was first roofed - 1959 - it was paid for by gambling proceeds.

Between 1957 & 1965 Norwich City received - as gifts - £100,000 from the proceeds of gambling.

Everton's success in the 1960s coincided with the appointment of John Moores, who had made his fortune from the proceeds of gambling.

The League Cup was sponsored by a betting company from 1987-1990.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...