birchfest

How Carrow Road could look..

Just for a bit of fun I put a picture of the River End and the South stand through one of those apps that reflects the pictures (it’s the lack of a midweek match, driving me to madness). In fairness I think it would make the ground look pretty good if they made something similar in place of the city stand. I’d say we would be 3 seasons and 4th confirmed  in the top flight away from making it happen, but we know that infrastructure is on the list of priority’s when it feasible. 

CF76CA46-E65F-4F1F-A77C-76F4A6CB7E81.jpeg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

Can we also defend that little goal at the Barclay end for the whole match! 

And have three goals that we can score into? I like it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

What would this increase the capacity to?

I think probably something of a similar size would add the 2-3000 which would take it up to 30,000 or so. Complete estimation work going off the idea that the south stand has about 8,000 or so capacity. 

8 hours ago, birchfest said:

Just for a bit of fun I put a picture of the River End and the South stand through one of those apps that reflects the pictures (it’s the lack of a midweek match, driving me to madness). In fairness I think it would make the ground look pretty good if they made something similar in place of the city stand. I’d say we would be 3 seasons and 4th confirmed  in the top flight away from making it happen, but we know that infrastructure is on the list of priority’s when it feasible. 

CF76CA46-E65F-4F1F-A77C-76F4A6CB7E81.jpeg

I'm not keen on us attacking the barclay end with the size of the goal compared to the river end 🤣🤣, it would look a lot better though if the city stand was made bigger

3 hours ago, birchfest said:

I think probably something of a similar size would add the 2-3000 which would take it up to 30,000 or so. Complete estimation work going off the idea that the south stand has about 8,000 or so capacity. 

If we increase our capacity I hope its to 30,312

Looks good.   With a bit of forward planning  the club to build out something like this during a period when there are no crowds in attendance.....

Frustratingly we have missed a great opportunity to do this work over the pandemic. It looks good though and is the design most people had in mind to even out the height of the stands.

The downside is it seems a lot of cost for a modest increase in capacity. As a business the club will need to balance against the cost of a new multi purpose stadium bringing additional revenue streams.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If we increase our capacity I hope its to 30,312

For the sentimental value of this box set, or the appropriateness for the task/club?

D14D7FBF-8D54-4762-B18E-333914D52166.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I wonder

poopmans roa.png

Ah, the old arms race mentality.
Imagine the places a pair of extra seats will get put as we ratchet up each time!

They’ll eventually deck out the roof shrub with a double swing, and will charge oppo teams to sit on the away  bench.
We’ll end up running a constant stream of ever-bigger safe standing pilots that will take over the ground

2 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Ah, the old arms race mentality.
Imagine the places a pair of extra seats will get put as we ratchet up each time!

They’ll eventually deck out the roof shrub with a double swing, and will charge oppo teams to sit on the away  bench.
We’ll end up running a constant stream of ever-bigger safe standing pilots that will take over the ground

Could always do the North/South Korea 'build the biggest flagpole' style contest until both of us have the biggest flagpoles in the world

• Like 1

If the club decide to enhance the ground please get rid of those floodlight pylons at the River and Barclay that create the seats with a restricted view.  

• Like 1

I think the atmosphere would be great if we could have corner stands at each end to make a proper bowl, but unfortunate the hotel end will always be open

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Very good. 

Build it and they will come

I've always had this opinion.  People fretting that we'd never fill a larger stadium, I just say that they should remember the 43,000 that crammed in to the Carra for a match against Leicester.

• Like 1

Up to 35,000 wouldn’t be a problem to fill in the top league. Stoke, Leicester and Burnley crowds all flew up in the Premiership and we comfortably outnumbered them at Championship level. 

Out of interest, what is the minimum capacity needed for an international tournament game? Should we go for a European Championship or World Cup, it would be nice to have Carrow Road included in the schedule. Not only for a stadium in the East, but a decent area of the country for fans to travel to. Brazil vs Italy in a Norfolk classic. 😁

20 minutes ago, Robornio said:

Out of interest, what is the minimum capacity needed for an international tournament game? Should we go for a European Championship or World Cup, it would be nice to have Carrow Road included in the schedule. Not only for a stadium in the East, but a decent area of the country for fans to travel to. Brazil vs Italy in a Norfolk classic. 😁

Don't think there is a minimum capacity, I think they pick the stadiums based on location and facilities etc. Norwich have hosted internationals at youth level of course

Just now, AJ said:

Don't think there is a minimum capacity, I think they pick the stadiums based on location and facilities etc. Norwich have hosted internationals at youth level of course

Don't you need to have a UEFA/FIFA 5* stadium rating (or however they rank it) to host a tournament game?  Friendlies obviously a different beast, but I have a feeling that you need that rating for tournament football.

I thought stadiums had to have a minimum of 40k, and stadiums to host a final had to have a minimum of 60k - something like that

I really hope i see a bigger Carrow Road within my lifetime. We'd sellout a 35k stadium week in week out regardless of what league we're in, just look at our crowds in League One!

4 hours ago, pete said:

If the club decide to enhance the ground please get rid of those floodlight pylons at the River and Barclay that create the seats with a restricted view.  

Are those poles just for the floodlights or are they structural for the stand roofs too? Probably a bit hard to get rid of if the latter, not that I know anything about construction! 😂

I have long been in favour of stadium expansion, perhaps even before we averages 24, 500 in L.1. McNally put a lot of effort into expansion at the time, squeezing a seat into every square inch of Carrow Road, I seem to recall.

I have never seen it in terms of expenditure v income and the time span needed before recouping the money.

Everything, from the fact that the support of the future relies upon club's ability to house the young supporter of today through to sheer status and appearance (the Main Stand looks silly) comes into force for me.

This is before the fact that, apparently, our Main Stand no longer fit for purpose.

Anything between 30, 000 and 35, 000 would seem appropriate to me and I am also one of those who thinks the Club missed a trick by not embarking upon this when the stadium has been empty for a year. I am also one of those not privy to the finances of it all, whereby we are currently in a low interest but low income climate. It's a balance.

Another factor in all this, one way or another in the argument, is the future of IFollow once restrictions are released. Now that that 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon is no longer sacrisanct as far as live televised games running concurrently is concerned, now that the economic value of the 'country' ( as opposed to overseas) supporter has been realised, now that the so-called match day experience has been realised more than ever, and now that the floodgates have finally been opened can we expect IFollow to be a permanent?

Let's hope so and that finally the game, Football League and the clubs realise that not only can they derive income from the match-day receipts but also from the pay-per-view audience.

Not only would City benefit from a full house for all PL games, they would also get considerable income from 70% of that £10 paid by all us eager supporters who live elsewhere in the country.

And about time too.  Stadium expansion and pay-per-view.  We have come a long way since relying upon Sports Report and the Big Match.

Edited by BroadstairsR

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Another factor in all this, one way or another in the argument, is the future of IFollow once restrictions are released. Now that that 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon is no longer sacrisanct as far as live televised games running concurrently is concerned, now that the economic value of the 'country' ( as opposed to overseas) supporter has been realised, now that the so-called match day experience has been realised more than ever, and now that the floodgates have finally been opened can we expect IFollow to be a permanent?

Let's hope so and that finally the game, Football League and the clubs realise that not only can they derive income from the match-day receipts but also from the pay-per-view audience.

Not only would City benefit from a full house for all PL games, they would also get considerable income from 70% of that £10 paid by all us eager supporters who live elsewhere in the country.

And about time too.  Stadium expansion and pay-per-view.  We have come a long way since relying upon Sports Report and the Big Match.

The problem being that iFollow is a Football League product, so upon our promotion to the Premier League that extra revenue stream disappears (which obviously is negligible in comparison to TV money at PL level).

As and when the PL launch their own streaming platform, which is a bit of a minefield for them with all the broadcasting deals they have globally, I'd imagine that for the most part it would be bundled into existing revenue sent to the clubs because the vast majority of OTT subscribers would be purchasing a product which shows all the games and not just individual match passes for a club.

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to put some flesh onto these bones.

The Main Stand (including the two infills) seats approx 4,338, while the South Stand holds 8,434. 

Of course the New Main Stand would not mirror the South Stand because of the superior Exec facilities & fit-out that would be needed (Directors' Box, dressing rooms, media centre etc etc), so it would prob be a 2-tiered construction

In 2012 it was estimated that to add 7,000 seats to Carrow Rd would cost £20m. I suspect this sum excluded the revenue lost from having a 3-sided ground for 18 months.

The new Main Stand at Anfield cost £115m (this was adding a tier to an existing stand), while their planned Anfield Rd expansion (7,000 extra seats) is est to cost around £60m

I can't see a new Main Stand (& infills) at Norwich costing less than £60m.

Ideally, set £5m aside for the next 4 yrs in the PL (£20m), issue a Stand-Bond (£10m) and borrow the rest. But don't hold your breath.

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

Are those poles just for the floodlights or are they structural for the stand roofs too? Probably a bit hard to get rid of if the latter, not that I know anything about construction! 😂

I'm fairly certain they are integral for the roof so the entire roofing of both stands would have to be redesigned in order for these to be removed