Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Next England manager after Southgate

It is a funny role the England manager, really difficult and no chance to really build a team, depending on when Southgate leave Rodgers.... (or Mourinho)

17 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Have i missed something about Southgate leaving the job then ?

I thought he should be sacked  ages ago for playing two  outright  DMs  at the same time v some no mark team, cant remember who. 

Dull man  produces dull team. 

And waistcoats are ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

I thought he should be sacked  ages ago for playing two  outright  DMs  at the same time v some no mark team, cant remember who. 

Southgate is a decent manager, but god are his player selection and setups just so, so boring and negative

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Just for ironic value they should get in Frankie Lamps and Stevie Gerrard to run the team together. 😇

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Southgate is a decent manager, but god are his player selection and setups just so, so boring and negative

A bit of a contradiction there if i may say.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Just for ironic value they should get in Frankie Lamps and Stevie Gerrard to run the team together. 😇

Yeah and they could make Paul Scholes the cook or something else unsuited to him.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Nah, CC just hadn't started a thread in 25 minutes. In his defence, he had to post something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Nah, CC just hadn't started a thread in 25 minutes. In his defence, he had to post something.

The more you obsses over me the more I post. You ok with that deal?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The more you obsses over me the more I post. You ok with that deal?

Obsess? Think I've addressed you what, maybe twice ever?

• Haha 1

Gerrard doing a fine job at Rangers domestically and in Europe. Could be an option in the future after the inevitable Liverpool stint if that’s a success. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

This is a complete hypothetical as I can't see Southgate leaving before the World Cup next summer unless the Euros is an absolute disaster, and even then I reckon he'd be given the World Cup.

Dyche would have to completely change his playing style to manage England, and would probably need to demonstrate his ability to do this at club level first. I really like him, but I don't think he's the right fit.

Howe did well at Bournemouth where he was given complete control over everything, but he wouldn't get that as England coach and may need to prove himself in a different environment first.

Potter would be a better shout. He plays football in the right way and would be a good fit, but I'd rather wait for him to gain more top flight experience before throwing him in the deep end and ruining him like Steve McClaren.

Personally, I'd go with Gerrard. He doesn't have a huge amount of coaching experience, but he's done very well in his short time as Rangers manager, both domestically where they're expected to dominate and in Europe where they're often the underdog, he plays football the right way, would command the respect of the players and has extensive recent experience of the England setup as a player.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man