Sign in to follow this  
pete

Hinchcliffe latest pundit on City bandwagon

Every time we’ve gone up I’ve had doubts on our survival and still do. However, this time I do believe we stand a better chance of survival than before though as last time we went up there was something we were seriously lacking in the side: PL experience. After last season the majority of our squad now has some, and I also believe we should be able to spend a little bit more than before. We’ll see.

If we do go up I’m not ruling out relegation, but then I’m certainly not ruling out survival either. We will simply just have to wait and see who else we can sign and how we do. Who thought that Lambert’s side of the 2011-12 season was going to survive? To be honest I didn’t think we stood a chance but we didn’t just scrape survival did we, we finished 12th!

37 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Cambridge will be along to start this thread shortly.....

Unlike less popular members of this forum who after reappearing and being soundly  trashed by many, has started a ' we are better than 1p5wich 'type thread.

Someone more cynical than be night construe this as an  attempt  to curry some favour amongst those who are blind to his darker , less honest side.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Cambridge will be along to start this thread shortly.....

Gotta love Cambridgeo, it's amazing he finds time for us among all his other  distractions. 

I mean, I feel better about our chances next season too. It's going to be a real slot, and we still need to add some quality in certain positions, but we're much tighter at the back so the chances of us conceding those morale-sapping first goals should be reduced.

3 hours ago, pete said:

I like Hinchcliffe. Like a few pundits you do get fed up with their clichés and in game reporting from time to time. Yet, he is thoughtful and has bothered to find out how we are doing things behind the scenes. Some don't. He has stated his like for our structure, our playing style on many occasions during matches and seems partial towards what Norwich City is about. So, I was pleased to read his thoughts. He has some influence too and it's refreshing to have a positivity from such a media source. I think he might be right too.

He is very insightful about us and like others have said he knows his stuff. Especially if we do go up will have to listen to the same old dross that Shearer, Wright and Lawro rehash! 

Though it does make me laugh how other forums would have us coming straight back down again. Do they think we are going to keep exactly the same team with no new signings? Webber, Farke and the rest of the team will have already been planning (probably during the first lockdown) what we need to do next time we get promoted and feel we will get a lot of business done asap. 

49 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I like Hinchcliffe. Like a few pundits you do get fed up with their clichés and in game reporting from time to time. Yet, he is thoughtful and has bothered to find out how we are doing things behind the scenes. Some don't. He has stated his like for our structure, our playing style on many occasions during matches and seems partial towards what Norwich City is about. So, I was pleased to read his thoughts. He has some influence too and it's refreshing to have a positivity from such a media source. I think he might be right too.

Hinchcliffe knows his stuff, actually does his research, a bit like Danny Higginbotham who is also excellent. But for some reason sky keep rolling out Don Goodman who is dreadful.

• Like 1

I mean, I firmly believe we will be in a much better position but we will still need a lot of luck on our side to stay up.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean, I firmly believe we will be in a much better position but we will still need a lot of luck on our side to stay up.

If we can keep Hanley and Gibson injury free and retain Skipp (or replace with similar) that will go a long long way to improving our chances of staying up. I agree with you that we'll still need a fair bit of luck.

I think we have a much better chance of survival (but crikey it will be difficult) as; 1) we can't be as bad again and 2) we can't have as such bad luck with injuries, which partly caused 1).

Plus we seemed much better organised defensively.

After last nights result I am very in agreement with AH on our prospects.  2 wins and Swans would have been within 5 of City and with their fortune on the late penalty front there was some concern, but that has evaporated and I am certain we will win.

Never really the most positive in fact the ultimate pessimist but even now a believer.  Will be mightily disappointed if not champs of the Champs.      

27 minutes ago, pete said:

.  Will be mightily disappointed if not champs of the Champs.      

Something to look forward to at least, eh Peteo?😇

Edited by wcorkcanary

If we go up, it'll be analysis on the level of "...his mate boots it to the number 8, he goes wide and then the Norwich full back comes in and gets a lucky touch to set up the big man who makes it 1-0. Terrible defending by Chelsea though, James is blindsided by the number 8 whilst Rudiger and Alonso get in each others way which means the big man gets that knock past Mendy..lets talk about Thomas Tuchel now, please?" standard.

1 hour ago, pete said:

After last nights result I am very in agreement with AH on our prospects.  2 wins and Swans would have been within 5 of City and with their fortune on the late penalty front there was some concern, but that has evaporated and I am certain we will win.

Never really the most positive in fact the ultimate pessimist but even now a believer.  Will be mightily disappointed if not champs of the Champs.      

Top two is all that really matters.

Despite all the '' we'll do things differently next time '' noises coming out of Carrow Rd which may have some legs the brutal truth is a club of our size/wealth is always going to be up against it when we're next in the Premier League.

As a ' top 26 ' club realistically the best we can hope for is surviving for more than one season so we're in line for three parachute payments when we do go down again.

28 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Top two is all that really matters.

no it isn't.    The league is a trophy (a competition), we compete to win and we want to win it.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

no it isn't.    The league is a trophy (a competition), we compete to win and we want to win it.   

Yes we want to win it but if we were offered a guaranteed second at almost any point (even now) when in the Championship, I'd take it. The reward of finishing 1st is not worth the risk of not being in the top two. Top two is all that really matters, winners is nice but not in any way important.

29 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Yes we want to win it but if we were offered a guaranteed second at almost any point (even now) when in the Championship, I'd take it. The reward of finishing 1st is not worth the risk of not being in the top two. Top two is all that really matters, winners is nice but not in any way important.

Agree with you there. Sure every team would love to be the champions as well, but in my opinion automatic promotion is far more important than the title.

Edited by HazzaJet

40 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

although thats all hypethetical.... we aren't offered second ever or first.    I'd want us to do the best we can in every game and every competition.   In this case, 1st is not beyond the realms of our capability so its a reasonable aim and now an expectation theyve been that good.   Anything less than first would be a disappointment from here.   It's important to me!    I don't follow my team ever to be happy to settle for second, just seems a tad unambitious.    There might be promotion but no trophy!

I don’t think anyone can say with any certainty of our chances till we know our squad come August! 

If we build on what we have then of course this team has a far better chance of staying up than two seasons ago! But the reality is Aarons will be sold, Buendia is attracting a lot of attention and if the right offer comes in he’s on his way, then Cantwell in his last year if he says no to renewing his contract the club will cash in him this summer! Lose those three and we’re back to the same position we were in last time up.

Finances are fascinating, we’ve had Covid so no doubt the club will have a shortfall from match day income but with the i follower £10 match fee a lot of supporters I know who only rarely go to games have taken this up so I’m sure it’ll generate a decent return this year. With the sale of key players it’ll be interesting to see if those funds will all be released to Webber / Farke!  As for the combined fee for Gibson / Giannoulis estimated to be nearly 15 million, to be honest that should be covered by the Godfrey transfer fees.

Personally I don’t think we will survive, I think we’ll certainly give a better account this time, but we will probably lose our best three players and replace them with far less ready players, hopefully young with potential as the previous players, possibly Martin, Mumba Sorensen, Idah and Soto will be pushed up to the squad too.