Sign in to follow this  
City fan

Promotion.

When, not if, city are promoted should they continue with their prodant approach to player budget and spending. Or push the boat out and spend money. Not stupid money, but something like 30 to 35 million. 

we will need to spend £100m to stay up and then only fighting for 16th place... 

Edited by Foxy2600

5 minutes ago, City fan said:

When, not if, city are promoted should they continue with their prodant approach to player budget and spending. Or push the boat out and spend money. Not stupid money, but something like 30 to 35 million. 

They'll budget to finish 20th again I would think but spend more than in 2019.

The only sensible answer to this question is to be prudent, or do we need yet another reminder of how close to liquidation we've been - on two separate occasions - in the past decade?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Totally off topic, watching next seasons opposition for 4 games. 

And Godfrey slots home ...... for Chelsea. Showing the flaws of our defence last season.

Godfrey has been excellent for Everton all season. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Totally off topic, watching next seasons opposition for 4 games. 

And Godfrey slots home ...... for Chelsea. Showing the flaws of our defence last season.

Sometimes you read things on here and wonder what the hell's going on in a poster's head. Other times you wonder how they manage to breathe and type at the same time.

This is an example of the latter.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Godfrey has been excellent for Everton all season. 

I know, I just didn’t want to start an Unofficial Official ******** Tonight’s Match Thread when no-one watches BT Sport. 

8 minutes ago, City fan said:

You might jinx it, we need 8 wins yet.

I was critical during our last season in the Premier league because the club were almost resigned to getting relegated before a ball was kicked.

If we do go up I hope we give it a better go this time, add some quality, experience and more positive vibes from SW and DF 

I’m sure Covid will be the reason for a smaller than anticipated budget this summer. Can’t see anything other than 60 million for Buendia & Aarons and possibly 20 million of that used on replacements.

26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If, not when.  Nothing is decided.

Very true.  No eggs have hatched yet, but there seem to be an awful lot of chickens being counted.

Totally ready to be shot down...

BUT if Webber has 2 more seasons left of his contract.  Surely he ll want to leave Norwich as a premier league club?   Which is why I beleave he will  loosen the purse strings..  

I seems certain one off the big three will leave.  Money seems to be on Arrons.  So if we can get 25mil plus a season long loan out of spurs for skip that should be priority no1 imo

Also getting Cantwell to signed an improved contract should be 2nd priority.  If it takes 80k a week so be it.  He won't stay if we go down again anyway so those wages should be possible in the prem.

The hardest part of the puzzle will be getting Beundia to commit to another season.. If Webber can do that we have a fighting chance.  Perhaps showing some intent in the transfer market is the best way and a 30 -40mill kitty 

Well we can only dream... 

One last thing Delia is getting no younger and chances of success in the premier are running out.. next year we MUST roll the dice 

The club's vision is to be self-sustainable. That means relying on a conveyor belt of players constantly coming through the academy, and it means not spending big money on transfers. It also means Max Aarons will be gone in the summer.

I don't feel like the club have been particularly vague about this, but people still continue to ask the questions. How much will Norwich spend? What if they don't sell Max Aarons? They won't. They will.

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If we go up., we've already spent £15m on Gibson and Giannoulis....I thought we were also commited to signing Quintilla too at £2.7m ??

No that one wasnt an obligation, more that we had the option to sign him permanently. Maybe if he reaches x amount of games then it becomes a permanent but that doesnt seem likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy2600 said:

I know, I just didn’t want to start an Unofficial Official ******** Tonight’s Match Thread when no-one watches BT Sport. 

I do , sometimes,for €10  a month .  Also Godfrey was unable to stop the ball bouncing off him into the net, no way did he  'slot it'.

Edited by wcorkcanary

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

The only sensible answer to this question is to be prudent, or do we need yet another reminder of how close to liquidation we've been - on two separate occasions - in the past decade?

Surely we must be way past the worry of administration. And if we aren't then we need to rethink our financial model.

23 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely we must be way past the worry of administration. And if we aren't then we need to rethink our financial model.

Yes - but we WON'T be if we sp*nk money up the wall again on the likes of Naismith and RVW - and yet people still come on this thread demanding that we shell out on 'Premier League experience' etc. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not in football. What people need to rethink is the sustainability of a football club. We've thrown good money after bad on tons of experience before. We nearly lost the club. That was part of the reason we slid down into League One. It was also a reason we were breathing uneasily when Maddison got that minor injury. It was also why many fans are irritated that the likes of Naismith weren't for moving readily as he was on a cracking wedge of cash with us.

Transfer fees are the tip of the iceberg. Player wages, bonuses and signing-on fees are as big an issue if not more so as you have to pay them come what may even if your income drops (unless you've managed to negotiate a reduction under certain conditions, but top players probably won't sign a contract with such a clause in it). I do think people have a somewhat Manichean view of finances - we're either on our uppers or we're rolling in it.

Doomed, WRALL Doomed.

If Scotty Parker keeps Fulham up we have a chance. 

If we go up and sell Todd, Max and Emi..... we are straight back down. Unfortunately they command £50k a week and we can’t pay that kind of money....

Just watched Chelsea vs Everton. The speed of the game (as compared to a Championship game) we will be overrun - sad but true. 

56 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yes - but we WON'T be if we sp*nk money up the wall again on the likes of Naismith and RVW - and yet people still come on this thread demanding that we shell out on 'Premier League experience' etc. 

To be fair I don’t think that’s what they are demanding, everyone recognises those were terrible deals. But last time we were in the Prem the recruitment was generally poor and we need to do better. If we get our recruitment right we won’t get those deals.

If rumours are to be believed we were prepared to spend double figures on players last time we just couldn’t land them. We need to do that this time.

Edited by Monty13

13 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

To be fair I don’t think that’s what they are demanding, everyone recognises those were terrible deals. But last time we were in the Prem the recruitment was generally poor and we need to do better. If we get our recruitment right we won’t get those deals.

If rumours are to be believed we were prepared to spend double figures on players last time we just couldn’t land them. We need to do that this time.

Total back of a fag packet calculations I grant you, but my guess is that we might have £30 million to spend if we go up (plus anything we get in from sales). As I keep saying - £30 million is coppers down the back of the settee for most Premier League clubs. We will be trying to defy the laws of football physics again if we go up. 

8 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Doomed, WRALL Doomed.

If Scotty Parker keeps Fulham up we have a chance. 

If we go up and sell Todd, Max and Emi..... we are straight back down. Unfortunately they command £50k a week and we can’t pay that kind of money....

Just watched Chelsea vs Everton. The speed of the game (as compared to a Championship game) we will be overrun - sad but true. 

No, I don't agree with this. Everyone at the club now knows what is required in the EPL - no surprises like last season. We won't be overrun - we might not win many games or stay up but we will be competitive in a way we were not last time, against Burnley, Palace and Brighton etc. The improvement that Scott Parker has got from his team since October is remarkable and there is no reason why we can't do the same.

26 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Total back of a fag packet calculations I grant you, but my guess is that we might have £30 million to spend if we go up (plus anything we get in from sales). As I keep saying - £30 million is coppers down the back of the settee for most Premier League clubs. We will be trying to defy the laws of football physics again if we go up. 

I think that’s reasonable for a club in our position. We should gamble 30 mil, we can’t gamble 100. Chances are if we buy right the players will be assets anyway.

Don’t gamble at all though and I can’t see anything being much different to last time.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I do , sometimes,for €10  a month .  Also Godfrey was unable to stop the ball bouncing off him into the net, no way did he  'slot it'.

Didnt you see the way godfrey slotted it in being smashed against him at 50mph. He's on a bung.

21 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think that’s reasonable for a club in our position. We should gamble 30 mil, we can’t gamble 100. Chances are if we buy right the players will be assets anyway.

Don’t gamble at all though and I can’t see anything being much different to last time.

We did gamble last time, it didn't pay off, that can be the problem with gambling.

Wages are the biggest problem. They pretty much eat up all of the money that promotion is worth. And that is pretty much unavoidable. If you don't pay decent wages those players will push for moves elsewhere that you'd want to keep to give you the best chance of staying up. So you pay them. On top of that, attracting new players you will need to offer competitive wages to premier league capable players or look for upcoming stars who will see us as a stepping stone to greater things.

A lot of people don't like the sentiment involved in that last one, but it is one of the best reasons for bringing through youngsters and developing them. Other clubs will take note and loan us their rising stars whilst younger players who are looking to move to somewhere to get more game time and push on their game will note the success of Buendia, Aarons, Cantwell, Lewis, Godfrey, Idah, Martin and perhaps even Gunn and Skipp.

It wouldn't surprise me if they go at it like they did last summer rather than the summer before. A reasonable "spread bet" if you like. The problem we have on a smaller budget is we still can't throw £15-20m around for a player. We are still better off with the "spread bet" approach. That said, I really do think if we can hold onto the majority of what we have in our first team squad at the moment, I think we won't need to bring in as many players this time and perhaps can focus the cash on players that may represent less of a gamble. Especially if we can get Skipp back in on loan.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sgncfc said:

No, I don't agree with this. Everyone at the club now knows what is required in the EPL - no surprises like last season. We won't be overrun - we might not win many games or stay up but we will be competitive in a way we were not last time, against Burnley, Palace and Brighton etc. The improvement that Scott Parker has got from his team since October is remarkable and there is no reason why we can't do the same.

Bear in mind that the Fulham team that has been doing so well recently is almost completely changed from last season and the team at Liverpool included a huge number of loan players. That's not sustainable in the long term. 

In order to survive we simply need 3 teams worse than us. That will probably be the two that go up with us which leaves one. And therein lies the problem.  I would say that Newcastle stick out like a sore thumb but Fulham could easily overtake them. We're then looking for a club to fall apart and nose dive like Stoke and Watford. Burnley hopefully. 

Whoever it was above who said it would take £100m for us to survive probably isn't far out and that sort of money just won't be available. It's a huge challenge but if Farke and Webber can't do it no one can. 

34 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Bear in mind that the Fulham team that has been doing so well recently is almost completely changed from last season and the team at Liverpool included a huge number of loan players. That's not sustainable in the long term. 

In order to survive we simply need 3 teams worse than us. That will probably be the two that go up with us which leaves one. And therein lies the problem.  I would say that Newcastle stick out like a sore thumb but Fulham could easily overtake them. We're then looking for a club to fall apart and nose dive like Stoke and Watford. Burnley hopefully. 

Whoever it was above who said it would take £100m for us to survive probably isn't far out and that sort of money just won't be available. It's a huge challenge but if Farke and Webber can't do it no one can. 

The two who go up with us will no doubt outspend us, as Leeds and Villa did. They won’t be the same teams they are now.