Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Simeon Jackson signs for Kings Lynn!

I didn't think that they could get relegated as the league's below stopped?

I thought the only way they'd get relegated was due to incomplete fixtures, although I may be wrong.

Havent they furloughed a few players too? 

Im sure Radio Norfolk reported that over the weekend. 

Yes I wondered about that too Greavsy. I’m no expert but not sure how it works to furlough employees then take on new staff, even on mates rates, so it seems possible Simeon is playing for expenses, especially as at 33 after little football for a couple of years he’s likely to need game time to keep the flame burning. One of those players you really wanted to shine. Wish him and Lynn well. 

Just looked, only ever saw a handful of Lynn games and it's more than 56 years since I was at The Walks, but still watch for their results - how football messes with your head !!!!

Yeah just wikied him , he's still only 33 it seems like he's been about for years , had more clubs than tiger woods but we're the biggest , good luck to him and kings Lynn .

35 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Yes I wondered about that too Greavsy. I’m no expert but not sure how it works to furlough employees then take on new staff, even on mates rates, so it seems possible Simeon is playing for expenses, especially as at 33 after little football for a couple of years he’s likely to need game time to keep the flame burning. One of those players you really wanted to shine. Wish him and Lynn well. 

Im sure, you can bring in new employees, who are cheaper, despite having the more experienced / expensive ones furloughed. 

However dont forget the employers stilll have to pay tax, pesion and ni contributions from their own funds, 

Just now, Greavsy said:

Im sure, you can bring in new employees, who are cheaper, despite having the more experienced / expensive ones furloughed. 

Thanks, didn't know that.

There could be some awkward decisions to make at some workplaces when the lockdown ends !!

Im no expert, and its ethically wrong imho, but sure it's permitted. 

Strange situation where its a better option than bringing your own work force back. 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Im no expert, and its ethically wrong imho, but sure it's permitted. 

Strange situation where its a better option than bringing your own work force back. 

Like something from a Dickens novel. 

If I’ve understood it correctly from the Lynn Facebook groups he is furloughed by Chelmsford but able to go to Lynn on loan who will presumably pay him a minimal amount / expenses. Same for Alfie Payne who has signed too. 

1 hour ago, crispeduk said:

Thanks, didn't know that.

There could be some awkward decisions to make at some workplaces when the lockdown ends !!

I think there needs to be  real inquest about the furloughing system after the crisis diminishes. And the ethics of sport.

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

If I’ve understood it correctly from the Lynn Facebook groups he is furloughed by Chelmsford but able to go to Lynn on loan who will presumably pay him a minimal amount / expenses. Same for Alfie Payne who has signed too. 

If you are furloughed, you get 80% of your wage, (capped at £2.5k per. Month) paid from your employers, who are also liable to pay tax, ni and pension. 

However there is nothing to stop the employee working for another company, and drawing a 'full wage' 

Edited by Greavsy

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think there needs to be  real inquest about the furloughing system after the crisis diminishes. And the ethics of sport.

Hasnt sport always had questionable ethics - football in particular. 

2 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Could be that there is little or no money involved. And rather than this being seen as "dodgy sport" again, rather other clubs answering the call when seeing a club new to this level struggling to put a team out with experience. Not good for the sport at all to have clubs struggling and furloughing players because they can't afford to pay them full wages to play due to lack of fans at games. In fact, if Radio Naarfolk are correct. Some players are even playing for free at this point, or furloughing for free. Respect to them really, I hope the situation is sustainable and they don't suffer any long term implications from it as Culverhouse is a legend and they have always been a plucky club.

Whats furlough for free? 

Youre either furloughed or not. 

If they are waiving their furlough money, why wouldn't they just play for their parent club for free? Obviously if their club still has fixtures, and their league isnt suspended. 

I never knew that Chelmsford was a city... ah, according to Wiki, it's only been a city since 2012.

It's a big name signing for them, and although towards the latter end of his career at 33 should still be able to plunder plenty of goals for them.

As for the finances, who knows, he could be playing for free to keep his fitness up for all we know

13 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Hasnt sport always had questionable ethics - football in particular. 

Haven't heard anything controversial about synchronised swimming😀

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Haven't heard anything controversial about synchronised swimming😀

Give it time KG. 

He can't play for Chelmsford even if he is drawing furloughed wages from them so why shouldn't he play for Lynn who have been stitched up by the football authorities and government from a financial perspective?