Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

Picking player of the season is going to be tough

There are so many stand out performers thus far how do you pick one above the others.

Obviously Tim Krul is the best keeper in the championship and earned us plenty of points this season.

Pukki, Buendia and Aarons all superb, and plenty of others not far behind.

How can you not give it to Skipp he has given his all to the club and he isn't even our player. 

I will always have massive respect for this group of players where ever they end up in the future.

1. Buendia  can't win a game without him so there is no debate here, this is factual not my opinion 😄

2. Skipp - featured every game and has been so reliable, reads the game very well, has been a major aspect to our transformed defence 

3. Hanley - such an improvement after a couple of disappointing injury layoffs, wins everything in the air, a rock to try to get past on the ground and actually pretty handy with the ball as well!

Special mentions: 

- Krul had a storming start to the season with several games where he won us points, and clearly he is a positive influence on the defence that became evident when he was injured. But we've defended so well since he came back in that he's barely been needed to save us points / games like he was in the first 12 or so games. 

- Cantwell and McLean would be contenders but they've been in and out of the team a little and I think as a result both had a few games where they've struggled. Had they been available all season they'd be right up there. 

- Aarons clearly deserves a mention, not missed a beat all season and always very reliable in both directions. Kind of what you expect from him though, and could we have gotten a bit from him in terms of goals (1) / assists (3) for the amount he gets forwards? In only 6 more games in his breakthrough season he managed 2 goals and 6 assists. 

- Pukki has been great lately and done well overall, but I don't think he's had a good a season as 18/19 and he's not quite been as impressive as the shortlisted players above IMO.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 2

For me it is an easy choice this year - Skipp and McLean have been great so hard working, Krul amazing, Cantwell scintillating, Aaron / Hanley / Gibson incredibly reliable and Pukki sensational yet without the little Argentine we simply do not win games.  Emi will get my vote.

Edited by Newtopia

For me Skipp is the outstanding player, all things considered. I don't think we would be in the position we are in without any one of our key players so there is an argument for giving it to any of Pukki, Buendia or Hanley. Krul and Cantwell have been absent slightly more so maybe not quite as deserving. But Skipp has brought something we've been missing for years into the heart of the team and he does it better than anyone I've ever seen at Championship level or at Norwich.

I think it’s academic as Spurs fans will ruin the vote. Or is it only registered supporters?

Buendia is the beating heart of this squad, we struggled without him so he's #1 for me.

#2 is Skipp, pretty self explanatory

#3 is a tie between Hanley and Gibson for me, although I'd say Hanley JUST edges it for his recent performances 

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think it’s academic as Spurs fans will ruin the vote. Or is it only registered supporters?

I believe they have changed the way it is done to stop it happening, you have to be a registered member or something along those lines

I'll go left-field and say if there was ever a season where we should simply say "the team" should get it, it's this one. There are seasons that are so bad that I'd say the fans should get player of the season for watching turgid ****e, but considering the stresses and strains faced in a season without crowds, with no proper pre-season to get ready, and with even greater fixture congestion than usual, the whole team has faced a situation that most relegated teams don't rebound from so quickly, and they've done it in style.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'll go left-field and say if there was ever a season where we should simply say "the team" should get it, it's this one. There are seasons that are so bad that I'd say the fans should get player of the season for watching turgid ****e, but considering the stresses and strains faced in a season without crowds, with no proper pre-season to get ready, and with even greater fixture congestion than usual, the whole team has faced a situation that most relegated teams don't rebound from so quickly, and they've done it in style.

I certainly can't imagine many people sarcastically voting for Nyland this time 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1