cambridgeshire canary

Seems we have phoned José and asked if we can sign skipp

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

I actually put that exact question to my spurs supporting mate and he outright rejected it. Let’s not underestimate how much Spurs rate the boy!

I'm not, is was a counter suggestion to  the one about skipp plus 10 million for max ... made me chuckle . Skipp is more valuable, without  g&y glasses than Max. If anything  we overrate  Max.

45 minutes ago, Lessingham Canary said:
4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Here's a scenario - sell Max to Totenham for £40m, buy Skipp for £30m, the outlay for Spurs then is only £10m, we get Skipp plus £10m to invest. Seems sensible to me....

I wonder where you came up with that scenario LDC ?

Dunno. Has someone else suggested it?

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Dunno. Has someone else suggested it?

Who else would be  so daft? 😇

Of course, Oliver Skipp may not fancy a permanent transfer to a team likely favourites for the drop, if we reached the PL again.

And unfortunately given our recent stays their, it is not beyond the realms of probability that we would come back relatively quickly (of course I hope that's not the case)

Loan for Skipp makes perfect sense, there’s no way he’s ready for Spurs yet but certainly will be in a few years! 30 million is far too cheap as Spurs don’t need the money! We do!

Anyone who thinks we’re going to spend that sum on five players is hoping for miracles, never mind spending it on one player!

Covid will be rolled out as to why we’re going to have to be careful this window, Sorensen, McClean, Rupp & Skipp will probably be our staple midfield for next year, no doubt we need a number 10 and another striker, then replacements for Aarons and Buendia.

• Like 1

Can’t see this happening.we’re going from talk that Tottenham considered recalling him in January to them allowing him on another season long loan next term.

Doesn’t seem to fit!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Can’t see this happening.we’re going from talk that Tottenham considered recalling him in January to them allowing him on another season long loan next term.

Doesn’t seem to fit!

Seems to me this story is about a message to the fans rather than to Spurs.

If they’d wantedSpurs to know they were after a second season loan, they’d have just picked up the phone without bothering telling the local paper.

51 minutes ago, Indy said:

Loan for Skipp makes perfect sense, there’s no way he’s ready for Spurs yet but certainly will be in a few years!

Spot on, another seasons loan would suit everyone.

It is a sensible move. Ask the question. If the conversation last year took a couple of months to get over the line then Skipp being here this season means he can see what he would be getting here on loan next season too.

Skipp will know the group, philosophy, style and the area etc next year if he were to be here. But he would also be aware we would be the underdog in almost every game. There will be suitors from current premier league teams too, I am certain.

It is an easier conversation with Skipp being here this season.

Of course there are 3 parties in this conversation and we do not know what spurs think.

I am sure we will be looking at other alternatives, we have said over and over this is the critical position we have needed to get right for years. Tettey had always performed well but he has not had any competition until now and possibly lungi is showing some grit too.

But it's the right thing to do and see where we potentially are.

Said this on one of the other threads.

Loan makes perfect sense, assuming promotion we can offer him regular premiership first team football. Continues to develop ready for Spurs first team.

I honestly can’t see him playing regularly for Spurs until he’s played regularly for another club at that level and he isn’t going to develop much bench warming.

3 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Seems to me this story is about a message to the fans rather than to Spurs.

If they’d wantedSpurs to know they were after a second season loan, they’d have just picked up the phone without bothering telling the local paper.

They didn't 'tell the local paper' did they? This story has been rehashed by the Pink'Un from a clickbaity website who are speculating wildly to try and make a bit of money from adverts on their site. Needless to say our very own Pink'Un forum clickbait merchant then picked it up and ran with it. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Haha 1

It's hilarious the kind of numbers people are throwing around. The closest precedent is when we sold Maddison. We needed the money at the time. Skipp is arguably the best player in the Championship this season. He's young, English and signed on a long contract to a top Premier League club.

There is no possibility of us signing him on a permanent transfer. If he does move then it will be for an astronomical fee (well in excess of £30M. If, in some freak occurrence, we were able to find the transfer fee, his wages would be so far in excess of our budget that not only would it bankrupt the club, it would destroy the dressing room balance as well.

Think of how much was being suggested for Buendia. We're not ever going to spend that kind of money. And why would a player of that calibre ever come to Norwich to fight it out to avoid relegation?

Norwich are in the business of discovering and developing players. If you think we'll soon be signing established players of Cantwell's or Aarons' quality then you don't understand the paradigm that we're operating in.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, East Rider said:

Of course, Oliver Skipp may not fancy a permanent transfer to a team likely favourites for the drop, if we reached the PL again.

And unfortunately given our recent stays their, it is not beyond the realms of probability that we would come back relatively quickly (of course I hope that's not the case)

I'm wondering if we might have difficulties convincing some players to join us if they think we will do the same as Sheffield Utd this season.

15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Here's a scenario - sell Max to Totenham for £40m, buy Skipp for £30m, the outlay for Spurs then is only £10m, we get Skipp plus £10m to invest. Seems sensible to me....

But the outlay for us is £30 Million. 

11 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I'm not, is was a counter suggestion to  the one about skipp plus 10 million for max ... made me chuckle . Skipp is more valuable, without  g&y glasses than Max. If anything  we overrate  Max.

Do you think that Barcelona and Bayern Munich overrate him as well? 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Do you think that Barcelona and Bayern Munich overrate him as well? 

Barca clearly didnt as they only offered to take him on loan. As for Bayern, showing interest doesnt mean they overrate him either, just that they think he may be useful for them.

As Flava Flav said......Don't beleive the Hype.

9 hours ago, Petriix said:

If he does move then it will be for an astronomical fee (well in excess of £30M.

On what basis is a DM with one season of second tier experience worth "well in excess" of £30m in the current market?

I think a lot of people are significantly underestimating the impact that COVID has had on football finances and, therefore, the transfer market.

Recently, Douglas Luiz and Soucek moved for £15m.

Edited by kirku

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Barca clearly didnt as they only offered to take him on loan. As for Bayern, showing interest doesnt mean they overrate him either, just that they think he may be useful for them.

Barcelona haven't got two pennies to rub together. 

31 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Barcelona haven't got two pennies to rub together. 

Yes. True, I was merely answering a question from another poster.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Heard a few people at the time claim Barca only wanted him to stick in their academy and not their main team which is part of why the deal didnt happen, although obviously us wanting to keep Max was the bigger factor

It all depends on what Spurs are planning to do next season. They are very light on quality CM/DM options, with Dier often appearing at CB these days. If they are to bring in a big signing, it could pave way for Skipp to come to us on loan for a season of Premier League football. This seems quite likely, however, Jose has made it clear how highly Skipp is rated and how they are keeping close tabs on him to the point they thought about recalling him in January. If he was that close to a recall, he might also be close to some integration into the first team.

I would imagine if the latter was the case, he wouldn't be a regular, at least not to start with, and would be limited to occasional appearances and cup games. Maybe Skipp himself could say he favours another season of first team football here to get that experience under his belt and aid his development.

Either way, I'm sure we've got tabs on alternatives, although Skipp would be the preferable option as he is already integrated into our squad!

11 hours ago, Petriix said:

It's hilarious the kind of numbers people are throwing around. The closest precedent is when we sold Maddison. We needed the money at the time. Skipp is arguably the best player in the Championship this season. He's young, English and signed on a long contract to a top Premier League club.

There is no possibility of us signing him on a permanent transfer. If he does move then it will be for an astronomical fee (well in excess of £30M. If, in some freak occurrence, we were able to find the transfer fee, his wages would be so far in excess of our budget that not only would it bankrupt the club, it would destroy the dressing room balance as well.

Think of how much was being suggested for Buendia. We're not ever going to spend that kind of money. And why would a player of that calibre ever come to Norwich to fight it out to avoid relegation?

Norwich are in the business of discovering and developing players. If you think we'll soon be signing established players of Cantwell's or Aarons' quality then you don't understand the paradigm that we're operating in.

Good post! But how does the transfer bid for the French player of £16-17 mil factor into this prior to our last PL season? We have already seen the club willing to stretch financial resources - and that was during a period of reconciliation. 

We have previously operated the only way we could, dictated by our financial resources, yet still managed that huge bid last season. So? We also know this season is going to be different for a variety of reasons, there are no debts to clear (save Gibson / Giannilous), less of a need for contract enhancements and an overall stronger foundation of a PL team in place. 

Especially if we lose Buendia, Aarons, Cantwell and can’t retain Skipp (or even 2/4 or these things happen), we would absolutely need to spend money to bring in players who are ready to go right away in the premier league. I’m not saying we will reinvest £35 mil from selling Aarons on a single right back. But £15-20 mil is in no way out of bounds IMO. 

And that’s just to stay the same. We will also need quality additional players to improve the overall strength of the squad (no. 10, centre back, striker).

If we are going to lose these players and try to replace them with £3-£5m players, some may do better then expected, some won’t. But we can’t lowball it and expect to stay up when we need players who will come in and be able to serve as regular starters and key men for the team.

We will have resources available like no season before, I expect you may be surprised to see us reinvest a decent proportion of them and have a real go at staying up. 

We already had our ‘free hit’ PL season last year, and next season will not be looked at the same. I fully accepted our relegation as I could see how we couldn’t break the bank, and it may have been too early to create lasting success, but this time round we will have more resources available plus some very high transfer fees probably coming in - and if we only reinvest a tiny portion of it I will be hugely disappointed.

Our model has put us in this great position of opportunity, this is our chance to grab it and make it ours!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Heard a few people at the time claim Barca only wanted him to stick in their academy and not their main team which is part of why the deal didnt happen, although obviously us wanting to keep Max was the bigger factor

So not overrated  by Barca then. Just maybe a handy player to have on the books.

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

And Can't Truss It

21 hours ago, Yellow and Green Man said:

I heard spurs were trying to sign Max? Maybe we can get another load of Skipp if we let them talk to Max ahead of Bayern, Barca etc

A skipload? Is Mike Walker involved too?

I'll get me coat

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Good post! But how does the transfer bid for the French player of £16-17 mil factor into this prior to our last PL season? We have already seen the club willing to stretch financial resources - and that was during a period of reconciliation. 

We have previously operated the only way we could, dictated by our financial resources, yet still managed that huge bid last season. So? We also know this season is going to be different for a variety of reasons, there are no debts to clear (save Gibson / Giannilous), less of a need for contract enhancements and an overall stronger foundation of a PL team in place. 

Especially if we lose Buendia, Aarons, Cantwell and can’t retain Skipp (or even 2/4 or these things happen), we would absolutely need to spend money to bring in players who are ready to go right away in the premier league. I’m not saying we will reinvest £35 mil from selling Aarons on a single right back. But £15-20 mil is in no way out of bounds IMO. 

And that’s just to stay the same. We will also need quality additional players to improve the overall strength of the squad (no. 10, centre back, striker).

If we are going to lose these players and try to replace them with £3-£5m players, some may do better then expected, some won’t. But we can’t lowball it and expect to stay up when we need players who will come in and be able to serve as regular starters and key men for the team.

We will have resources available like no season before, I expect you may be surprised to see us reinvest a decent proportion of them and have a real go at staying up. 

We already had our ‘free hit’ PL season last year, and next season will not be looked at the same. I fully accepted our relegation as I could see how we couldn’t break the bank, and it may have been too early to create lasting success, but this time round we will have more resources available plus some very high transfer fees probably coming in - and if we only reinvest a tiny portion of it I will be hugely disappointed.

Our model has put us in this great position of opportunity, this is our chance to grab it and make it ours!

£15-20M is a world apart from £35-50M which is what I would guess Skipp might be 'worth' (however you're supposed to quantify that as it's really uncharted territory in terms of top, young, English CDMs). We might well push the boat out on a few signings over the £10M mark, especially if we sell any of our big assets.

The real issue we have, though, is not really one of transfer fees but of wages. We have a very harmonious squad right now as the result of some incredible work with moving on (or excluding) the overpaid and lower 'value' players. The club was in disarray with the onerous contracts given to players like Naismith and it has taken years of careful rebuilding to get us out of that hole. The problem is twofold:

1. We can't afford to offer the sort of wages required to attract any of the kind of players who are already operating at a level which would genuinely improve the first team from day one.
  2. We can't sign someone and pay them significantly more than the fantastic players who've worked so hard to get us to this position; it would destroy the squad harmony.

We are always going to have to buy smart by buying young and/or unknown players and developing them. We're already seeing incredible success from this approach if you look at our player sales over recent seasons. This will always be hit and miss with a number of players going out on loan and many never featuring for the first team, but as long as one or two make it through each season then we're doing fine.

The problem with this approach is that it's impossible to fill the entire squad this way. So we have to scratch around the odd bargain bins to find a few misfits and (what some might call) journeymen. The idea is that we identify players that have solid, if unspectacular, core attributes who we then coach to fit our system while demanding a high workrate and extreme discipline. Sometimes they work out great. Sometimes it takes a while before the quality comes through. Sometimes the high workloads lead to injuries. Sometimes the attitude drops off and they find themselves out on a limb.

The point is that it's a delicate balance, and throwing £millions at it can't compensate for the complexity of managing the transition from a top Championship to an average Premier League squad. It needs careful management and it might genuinely not be possible to actually improve the team very much within a budget that won't expose the club to far more problems down the road. Rest assured that we won't be spending £100M on transfers as a gamble to retain our Premier League status.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

£15-20M is a world apart from £35-50M which is what I would guess Skipp might be 'worth' (however you're supposed to quantify that as it's really uncharted territory in terms of top, young, English CDMs). We might well push the boat out on a few signings over the £10M mark, especially if we sell any of our big assets.

The real issue we have, though, is not really one of transfer fees but of wages. We have a very harmonious squad right now as the result of some incredible work with moving on (or excluding) the overpaid and lower 'value' players. The club was in disarray with the onerous contracts given to players like Naismith and it has taken years of careful rebuilding to get us out of that hole. The problem is twofold:

1. We can't afford to offer the sort of wages required to attract any of the kind of players who are already operating at a level which would genuinely improve the first team from day one.
  2. We can't sign someone and pay them significantly more than the fantastic players who've worked so hard to get us to this position; it would destroy the squad harmony.

We are always going to have to buy smart by buying young and/or unknown players and developing them. We're already seeing incredible success from this approach if you look at our player sales over recent seasons. This will always be hit and miss with a number of players going out on loan and many never featuring for the first team, but as long as one or two make it through each season then we're doing fine.

The problem with this approach is that it's impossible to fill the entire squad this way. So we have to scratch around the odd bargain bins to find a few misfits and (what some might call) journeymen. The idea is that we identify players that have solid, if unspectacular, core attributes who we then coach to fit our system while demanding a high workrate and extreme discipline. Sometimes they work out great. Sometimes it takes a while before the quality comes through. Sometimes the high workloads lead to injuries. Sometimes the attitude drops off and they find themselves out on a limb.

The point is that it's a delicate balance, and throwing £millions at it can't compensate for the complexity of managing the transition from a top Championship to an average Premier League squad. It needs careful management and it might genuinely not be possible to actually improve the team very much within a budget that won't expose the club to far more problems down the road. Rest assured that we won't be spending £100M on transfers as a gamble to retain our Premier League status.

Excellent post, and I'll add that free transfers of players who used to be considered brilliant but fell short along the way (what I like to call "fallen angels"), or aging players who are looking for one last chance to show what they have (what I like to call "raging veterans") would also be in there. I suppose you could call them "journeymen", but for me a "journeyman" is a player who's more solid rather than having any outstanding talent.

Leitner would be a very good example of such a player, but it's transpired his weaknesses are in his head. Can't do so much there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

but it's transpired his weaknesses are in his head. Can't do so much there

Please dont bring Bilious into  this otherwise  harmonious thread Gunno.😇

• Like 2