cambridgeshire canary

Seems we have phoned José and asked if we can sign skipp

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Makes complete sense - it’s probably too early for him to go straight into the Prem for them whereas we can offer him regular games at that level and if we stay up we could afford him permanently or a good replacement.

5 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Makes complete sense - it’s probably too early for him to go straight into the Prem for them whereas we can offer him regular games at that level and if we stay up we could afford him permanently or a good replacement.

Indeed. I still don't think we will be able to sign him on loan next season, but you never know unless you try

I wonder if they will be looking to do some form of deal with an emergency recall put into it. Either way, we need to use this summer window to look for a permanent replacement for Skipp or risk finding ourselves in the same position next summer. I really don't understand peoples assumption that Sorenson is a like for like, I think he brings something very different to the the team than Skipps work rate and all action defensive shielding. Thats not to write Lungi off, I'd just say I think he is going to be more of a David Fox style player as he seems to be really good on the ball but not the enforcer we need. Maybe thats just me?

• Like 2

Skipp is certianly the type of player we will need a lot next season if we make it to the prem. He will provide the necessary protection our defence needs. It would give us a fighting chance of staying in the Prem.

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green Man said:

I heard spurs were trying to sign Max? Maybe we can get another load of Skipp if we let them talk to Max ahead of Bayern, Barca etc

Here's a scenario - sell Max to Totenham for £40m, buy Skipp for £30m, the outlay for Spurs then is only £10m, we get Skipp plus £10m to invest. Seems sensible to me....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Here's a scenario - sell Max to Totenham for £40m, buy Skipp for £30m, the outlay for Spurs then is only £10m, we get Skipp plus £10m to invest. Seems sensible to me....

£30m for Skipp!!! 😂😂😂

• Like 1

I'd take that in a heartbeat but I doubt it's possible. Spurs won't want to sell Skipp and he's still got plenty of options to progress there. I don't think us offering Max first team football is going to be as tempting as one of the European giants,

Oh look Cambridge has started yet another thread about Skipp to add to the one he started yesterday !

17 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

£30m for Skipp!!! 😂😂😂

Why would Spurs let him go for less? I couldn't see them going much lower than £25m + add-ons to be honest! 

39 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

£30m for Skipp!!! 😂😂😂

Think that's a fair price for a player who has only had one good season in the Championship and could well not cut the mustard in the Prem. It's the same reason we couldn't demand more than we got for Maddison. Spurs established position in the Prem will up his value a bit compared to Maddison, but he's a good benchmark for the value of a player who has had one stellar Championship season and who is expected, but not guaranteed, to cut it in the top league.

Surely theres not people out there who believe we will be paying £30m for one player.

With us already committed to spending £15m ish on Giannoulis and Gibson if promoted, plus a squad promotion bonus, plus a squad pay rise. The only way we will be spending any serious cash is if/when players are sold. 

If we sold Aarons for £30m I'm sure that would be invested on players but 3 or 4 of them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Surely theres not people out there who believe we will be paying £30m for one player.

With us already committed to spending £15m ish on Giannoulis and Gibson if promoted, plus a squad promotion bonus, plus a squad pay rise. The only way we will be spending any serious cash is if/when players are sold. 

If we sold Aarons for £30m I'm sure that would be invested on players but 3 or 4 of them. 

We shall see, but if we bought a player like Skipp, assuming Spurs would sell him, we would be getting a player who could potentially be worth a lot more after a successful season in the PL.  I am sure we won't be buying £30m players as a matter of course, but in Skipp's case, a player who has proved himself as much as any player could, pushing the boat out to keep him here would be quite sensible.   If Aarons wants to go and we want to sell him, a swap with a bit of cash coming our way, could be very good for all parties. 

£30M is a lot of cash.   Hojbjerg was £15M, when he was already an established premier league player.

Heres my Tin Hat moment.....I think Skipp is more valuable than Max. A straight swap would be a good deal imo.

Roight, who's first?

• Like 7

No way we'd be able to sign Skipp permanently at the moment.  His stock is on the up and he is being talked about as a future Tottenham captain already.  It would not make sense for him to sign for us, even if Tottenham were open to it.

If things didn't quite work out and he spent the next couple of years as a bit part player, then maybe... but I'd put money on him having a future that involves a good chunk of champions league football.

Would be over the moon with this if we pull it off next year. I've said before I think relative to his role he's our best player and our chances of staying up will greatly improve if we manage to get him for another year. 

To be blunt, defensive stability is more important than attacking prowess in your first year promoted to the Pl and if you offered me keeping Skipp for another year or not selling Buendia...I'd pick Skipp on loan again. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I like the thinking but I doubt either Spurs or Skipp would agree to this. As a loan, I'm sure he'd come back if allowed, as a permanent, I don't see him wanting to, as he has his sights set on their first team.

48 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Heres my Tin Hat moment.....I think Skipp is more valuable than Max. A straight swap would be a good deal imo.

Roight, who's first?

If you offered that deal to Spurs Daniel Levy would be on the M11 in about 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

Another year on loan is possible, depending on who they are looking to bring in going forwards. There's a huge chance he will get integrated at Spurs as they are seriously lacking in the CM department right now

Surely a DM with one Champs season under his belt isn't worth £30m, especially not in the current market?

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

£30M is a lot of cash.   Hojbjerg was £15M, when he was already an established premier league player.

Yes but he was in the final year of his contract, which is always going to massively dampen any hopes of a decent fee as they risk losing him for nothing by holding him any longer (we could have a similar issue with Cantwell soon if no extension to his contract is agreed). 

Add in the fact that Skipp is 4 years younger, English, contracted until 2024, Spurs have no reason or desire to sell, nor is the player likely to demand a transfer to us and its easy to see why the fee would be much more! 

BTW I don't think we will buy him permanently, its not going to happen, but if we were interested I can't see the fee being less than £25 mil and probably more in truth. 

I'm sure we'd rip their hands off for £15 mil. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I wonder where you came up with that scenario LDC ?

Also I wouldn't be 100% confident in saying 'we absolutely won't spend £25 mil on a player this summer'.  

Although such an outlay sure seems out of bounds, were Aarons, Buendia and even Cantwell to leave, we would have between £80 - £100 mil of additional transfer revenue to spend (minus a little for the Gibson / Giannilous fees). 

Were this to happen I could definitely see us buying 2-3 quality replacements in the region of £15-20 mil, amongst other signings. 

Worth noting that we bid £16-17 mil for that French player the last prem season when our financial focus fwas on clearing debts and improving player contracts rather than actual transfers. We are in a much better place now, and if we sell those 3, its not completely ridiculous to think we might stretch the purse strings a little further than this!

Not saying its likely, but it could definitely be possible if the right player became available.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If you offered that deal to Spurs Daniel Levy would be on the M11 in about 10 minutes. 

Thatd be fine by me, a decent RB would be a lot easier to find  than a DM as good as Oli. Not knocking Max, he's  very good, just think Skipp is better in his own position  than Max is in his. 

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Roight, who's first?

I actually put that exact question to my spurs supporting mate and he outright rejected it. Let’s not underestimate how much Spurs rate the boy!