Gibbo

Manager of the month...

Am I right in thinking that Daniel has only ever won manager of the month once in all his time with us - in 2018?  Seems a crazy low amount, given that we've won the league once and are on course to do so for a second time now.  The Wiki only lists to 2020, but I don't think he's won one in 2021.

If it's because we have a squad of 'premier league' players, then so did Hughton with Newcastle and I think he won 4 awards that year...

Even Alex Neil won it twice while having half the success of Farke...

You’re right, DF’s only had it once. This surprises me too.

To complete the picture, Thomas Frank got December and Steve Cooper got January’s.

Here are all of City’s MOTM winners:

Walker (PL) Oct 1993

Worthington (Ch) Dec 2005

Lambert (L1) Dec 2009

Lambert (L1) Jan 2010

Neil (Ch) Feb 2015

Neil (Ch) Sep 2016

Farke (Ch) Nov 2018

Manager of the month is not a mark of success over the course of a season, but one of achieving a short term run above expectation. Farke has taken the best team in the division and kept them top. We drew and lost our first two games in February. Mick McCarthy has turned Cardiff around from losing six in a row. They drew two games at the end of January before winning six in a row then drawing the last game in February. Taking the calendar month in isolation, there's only one winner there.

Really, the winner of MOtM is just whoever's team happens to coincide their best run with an arbitrary set of dates; more a measure of chance than skill.

Edited by Petriix
  • Like 1

I get that it's awarded for short term success, but you don't win* the league twice by not stringing together multiple short term successes.

I'm not saying I expect him to win it each month just as we're top and maybe I'm somewhat biased, but it does feel like he should have one or two more of these gongs - being the most successful manager in the champ over recent seasons.

Ultimately, promotion is what really matters I guess and I'm sure that's what he'd say publicly.

I imagine the Barnsley boss will win it this time, which is probably fair enough in this case... given their remarkable turn around in form / resources.

Edited by Gibbo

Crazy that Worthington never won it either, given how good we did that season.

All that matters is the trophy at the seasons end though, I'm sure

I get the impression that DF won't be particularly bothered by this apparent lack of recognition.

He is probably as interested in winning that as I am of winning the 'Rear of the Year' award.

Barnsley's Valerien Ismael is a worthy contender for 'Manager of the Month'.....Ismael should also be given a large platter of roast beef an' Yorkshire Pud (with veggie trimmings an' gravy) Coupled with the freedom to roam around a disused pit, presented with a bespoke flat cap and awarded a golden pit boot....Oh and gifted a three legged, one eyed, toothless and docked tailed rescued whippet, called 'Lucky'......

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Manager of the month is not a mark of success over the course of a season, but one of achieving a short term run above expectation. Farke has taken the best team in the division and kept them top. We drew and lost our first two games in February. Mick McCarthy has turned Cardiff around from losing six in a row. They drew two games at the end of January before winning six in a row then drawing the last game in February. Taking the calendar month in isolation, there's only one winner there.

Really, the winner of MOtM is just whoever's team happens to coincide their best run with an arbitrary set of dates; more a measure of chance than skill.

Possibly, but that doesn't explain why Farke only got it once in a season where pretty much everyone expected us to be mid-table fodder, and we ended up winning the league in remarkably entertaining style?

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Crazy that Worthington never won it either, given how good we did that season.

All that matters is the trophy at the seasons end though, I'm sure

He’s on my list above. Won it once

• Like 1

Even more ridiculous is that when we won the title he was overlooked for Championship Manager of the Season in favour of Wilder. It was the only division where the award didn’t go to the title winners. I notice they didn’t do that With Leeds last year!!!

• Like 1

The awards for our manager/coach do seem to be sparse given how successful we have been.  M of TM is based on results for any month and unfortunately Daniel has not got the results in the one month.  Millwall and Swansea scuppered February and Middlesboro did the same for January.  Lets go for March fixtures against Sheff Wed, Forest and Blackburn relatively easy wins will see Daniel get the award.  However Daniel doesn't seem too concerned as much as ourselves.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ian said:

Possibly, but that doesn't explain why Farke only got it once in a season where pretty much everyone expected us to be mid-table fodder, and we ended up winning the league in remarkably entertaining style?

Damned if we do - what do you expect, with all their parachute payments 

Damned if we don’t - they aren’t giving it a go, spending so little /selling their best players or they’re suffering from relegation syndrome 

As you say, though- we (I say we.. the club and its non-‘magic-money-tree’ fans) know what we are and what we’re achieving

21 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Even more ridiculous is that when we won the title he was overlooked for Championship Manager of the Season in favour of Wilder. It was the only division where the award didn’t go to the title winners. I notice they didn’t do that With Leeds last year!!!

This was truly ludicrous, but just wait and see who wins it this year........

32 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Could never understand that, how can a manager that has navigated his team to second be seen as being better than the manager that won the league? Crazy logic!

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think his wife and he should sit down with Oprah Winfrey and discuss it.

Anybody seen his wife ?

Worthy definitely won one in the 2003-04 season too, after our trio of loanees joined and we had a decent run.

And yes overlooking what Farke did two seaons ago - taking a team which had finished 14th to winning the title out of nowhere - and giving it to Wilder annoyed me too, but it was always going to happen. I just can't see how Wilder's achievement was viewed better than that.

For me Farke should have got it ahead of Wilder... but while we had a team that finished 14th the season before, his team were in L1 weren't they?

3 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

For me Farke should have got it ahead of Wilder... but while we had a team that finished 14th the season before, his team were in L1 weren't they?

Nope, the season we finished 14th was the one where we had the "incident" at Bramall Lane when the bus turned up late or something and sent Wilder on a rampage.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

He is probably as interested in winning that as I am of winning the 'Rear of the Year' award.

Does Til have pictures?

20 hours ago, sgncfc said:

This was truly ludicrous, but just wait and see who wins it this year........

I thought Brentford were winning everything this season? 😂😂😂