Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Harry and Meghan

55 minutes ago, Indy said:

Up the Bolshevik Revaluation, down with stinking rich self obsessed media loving power hungry people, let’s take our world back! πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

How much was it revalued at?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

https://writeroyalty.com/2019-by-the-numbers-royal-work-round-up-part-1/

In 2019, the last non-pandemic year, the Queen performed nearly 300 official engagements. She doesn't just release a video "once a year". I appreciate your position and your opinion, but wild exaggerations are just diluting your valid arguments.

The Queen has, over 60 years, contributed more to this country than any politician, celebrity or other person. Her family may not be perfect, and some of them are downright awful, but the Queen herself has dedicated her entire life with remarkably little in the way of scandal compared to other monarchies around the world.

I am sure she is a lovely old biddy, but when she shuffles off her mortal coil perhaps it is time to call it a day on the Royal Family. The instituition is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

How much was it revalued at?

You have to love predictive text, what would we do without it! πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

• Haha 1

The way they are carrying on you'd think that Meghan had successfully sued the daily mail group.Β πŸ˜€

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think walking out of a TV show you are presenting is a first. I have no opinion on the Sussexes, having no facts on which to base an opinion, but it is ironically self-centred to walk out of your own TV show because you have been accused of having a self-centred reason for accusing the Sussexes of being self-centred...πŸ€“

"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled. Some people’s idea of it is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."

Β 

Poor Piers has revealed himself as the ultimate solipsistic snowflake. It is always a sign of desperation to quote Churchill (as he has done now) but he seems not to realise he is the one who could not stand being talked back to.

• Like 3

Although I do think he's correct to point out that much of what Meghan and Harry have said is not credible, Piers Morgan has had some bizarrely strong vendettaΒ with Meghan for some time now and has made a bit of a tw*t of himself over this whole episode.Β 

Still he will no doubt pop up on one of these new news channels in the offing. Probably the one run by Andrew Neil.Β 

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled. Some people’s idea of it is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."

Β 

Poor Piers has revealed himself as the ultimate solipsistic snowflake. It is always a sign of desperation to quote Churchill (as he has done now) but he seems not to realise he is the one who could not stand being talked back to.

Seems Piers remains as firm in his belief that Meghan is lying, as I am firm in my belief that he is an attention seeking egomaniac whose "commitment" to a particular belief is algorithmically proportionate to its propensity to gain him publicity.

10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Although I do think he's correct to point out that much of what Meghan and Harry have said is not credible, Piers Morgan has had some bizarrely strong vendettaΒ with Meghan for some time now and has made a bit of a tw*t of himself over this whole episode.Β 

Still he will no doubt pop up on one of these new news channels in the offing. Probably the one run by Andrew Neil.Β 

I believe we are also getting a Murdoch "news" channel. So he will walk from one opinionated news channel to another.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I believe we are also getting a Murdoch "news" channel. So he will walk from one opinionated news channel to another.

I think its probably fair to say he wouldn;t have walked like that unless there is something else in the offing.Β 

Thing is, he was replaced by another opinionated person this morning.

Ranvir had to be corrected by a lady who told her that just because she didn't agree with her, didn't make her racist.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Thing is, he was replaced by another opinionated person this morning.

Ranvir had to be corrected by a lady who told her that just because she didn't agree with her, didn't make her racist.

I don't like this notion that now seems to be out there and gaining traction that you cannot voice an opinion or decide whether something is racist or not if you are white or that something is just racist if its is perceived to be by someone regardless of intent or context. i think thats quite dangerous territory.Β 

Β 

Β 

Anybody feel that we are witnessingΒ the end of an Age?Β The finalΒ curtain on Empire, Empire 2.0 (Commonwealth), the UK itself and the Monarchy. Brexit wasΒ for the traditionalists, the post war boomersΒ who grew up with LSD and an innate feelingΒ of superiorityΒ because we're (white) British - theirΒ last glorious stand as the UKΒ totters on the verge of entering the modern interconnected world. The fault lines are clear in how the young voted in Brexit and indeed how theyΒ now view the Monarchy. It doesn't represent or look like usΒ  - what's it for ?

ElizabethΒ I to Elizabeth IIΒ  "The Rise and Fall of the British Empire"

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Anybody feel that we are witnessingΒ the end of an Age?Β The finalΒ curtain on Empire, Empire 2.0 (Commonwealth), the UK itself and the Monarchy. Brexit wasΒ for the traditionalists, the post war boomersΒ who grew up with LSD and an innate feelingΒ of superiorityΒ because we're (white) British - theirΒ last glorious stand as the UKΒ totters on the verge of entering the modern interconnected world. The fault lines are clear in how the young voted in Brexit and indeed how theyΒ now view the Monarchy. It doesn't represent or look like usΒ  - what's it for ?

ElizabethΒ I to Elizabeth IIΒ  "The Rise and Fall of the British Empire"

I think the Monarchy faces a big challenge when the Queen dies because regardless of whether they like the Royal Family or are monarchists or republicans, most people respect and admire the current Queen I think. When she goes and is replaced by Charles it will be a dangerous time for the monarchy. It may have been different if William was next in line but 10-15 years of Charles on the throne is going to be a challenging time for them because rightly or wrongly he is not held in the same affection.

Β 

Β 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think the Monarchy faces a big challenge when the Queen dies because regardless of whether they like the Royal Family or are monarchists or republicans, most people respect and admire the current Queen I think. When she goes and is replaced by Charles it will be a dangerous time for the monarchy. It may have been different if William was next in line but 10-15 years of Charles on the throne is going to be a challenging time for them because rightly or wrongly he is not held in the same affection.

I wonder if the Queen will look at the current situation and make Charles give it up. He isn't popular, Camilla isn't popular, a younger Royal Family would be far more popular and able to deal better with change.

13 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I wonder if the Queen will look at the current situation and make Charles give it up. He isn't popular, Camilla isn't popular, a younger Royal Family would be far more popular and able to deal better with change.

She has always been very much a strict adherent to royal protocol. The succession is not in her gift, and I don't think for one minute she would suggest anything of the sort to Charles (however true your claims probably are). Now, whether Charles himself would independently make such a decision is another matter (I doubt it very much).

Edited by horsefly

17 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Β 

Β 

Possibly because she has reigned for so long. I was one when she came to the throne. And she has reigned through to the age of my great grandchildren.

I always think that the changes in the monarchy have paid lip service to the public. Being on Its A Knockout doesn't make them one of us.

There are too many of them with titles, even if they aren't on the payroll.

A slim down monarch, with no legal status or constitutional claims, just to wave at the tourists might work as a compromise. But thought that it is possible for the monarch to defy parliament beggars belief.Β 

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Β 

Β 

OnΒ the Commonwealth - the Queen remains Head of State for many. I suspect thisΒ is largelyΒ because theyΒ became independent and inheritedΒ herΒ as it was theΒ easiest option atΒ the timeΒ and out of respect they've left her there - When she goes a new 'King' - I suspect many will simply think its a good time to replace withΒ someone 'local'.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

A slim down monarch, with no legal status or constitutional claims, just to wave at the tourists might work as a compromise. But thought that it is possible for the monarch to defy parliament beggars belief.Β 

It's never happened though has it. She has the power, yes, but the Queen also understands that to actually use that power would cause a constitutional crisis the likes of which we haven't seen since the civil war. If you look at it another way however, imagine we had a prime minister in power who refused to accept the result of a democratic election, who incited an insurrection on the steps of Parliament and whose party refused all attempts to remove him from power, imagine we had our very own Trump/Hitler in Number 10, now imagine that there's just 1 additional check above that person who could bring the whole rotten mess down and who has zero self-interest other than the country itself (the Queen doesn't need money, fame, power etc). The reason the current system has survived as long as it has with the Queen as Head of State is because it acts as a natural limit on the power of the elected Head of State if Parliament refuse to do their duty.

28 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I suspect the Queen thinks she was chosen literally by God to be Queen - and God will choose when she departsΒ and install the next. It is not her choice!

In thatΒ lies all the conundrums with our current Monarchy! It is inΒ  its own termsΒ absolute and GodΒ given.Β 

Β 

5 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It's never happened though has it. She has the power, yes, but the Queen also understands that to actually use that power would cause a constitutional crisis the likes of which we haven't seen since the civil war. If you look at it another way however, imagine we had a prime minister in power who refused to accept the result of a democratic election, who incited an insurrection on the steps of Parliament and whose party refused all attempts to remove him from power, imagine we had our very own Trump/Hitler in Number 10, now imagine that there's just 1 additional check above that person who could bring the whole rotten mess down and who has zero self-interest other than the country itself (the Queen doesn't need money, fame, power etc). The reason the current system has survived as long as it has with the Queen as Head of State is because it acts as a natural limit on the power of the elected Head of State if Parliament refuse to do their duty.

Not to the degree of defying Parliament but the recent Guardian exclusive showed how the Royal family has used an obscure procedure of consent to influence legislation in its favour.Β  The Queen/Family have vetted more than 1,000 future laws and in some cases - the Palace will not admit to how many - demanded alterations. In one proven case the Queen successfully lobbied for a clause that kept hidden her private wealth.

It is all an anachronism. The UK - if it stays together - should become a republican parliamentary democracy and the Royal Family can turn itself into a private company and market itself as a kind of living theme park.

• Like 3

The Royal family are at the head of the class system, and unless they go, nothing will change. They own huge amounts of land as do other Dukes, Earls etc, and land ownership makes them all powerful.

It amuses me that so many people voted for Brexit because they objected to having unelected foreigners having power over this country and yet much of this applies to the Royal family.Β 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dj11 said:

The Royal family are at the head of the class system, and unless they go, nothing will change. They own huge amounts of land as do other Dukes, Earls etc, and land ownership makes them all powerful.

It amuses me that so many people voted for Brexit because they objected to having unelected foreigners having power over this country and yet much of this applies to the Royal family.Β 

The class system in this country is not the powerful divider it once was. If you're willing to put the work in, you can accomplish whatever you want.

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The class system in this country is not the powerful divider it once was. If you're willing to put the work in, you can accomplish whatever you want.

No - I can't be King Yellow Fever (or Head of State) however hard I work or whatever attributes I may have. That is called a class system.Β 

17 hours ago, Herman said:

Piers has walked even further.🀣

No doubt some will try to spin it as an attack on freedom of speech, yet conflating it with "freedom of consequences". Not to mention the fact he walked and was not pushed.