From winning both the divison and Champions Leauge, to losing to Fulham at home and slowly falling into a midtable finish.

Just goes to show what a major injury crisis and a loss of a leader in Henderson can do- And soon the rumours are that Klopp will be off to manage Germany too.

Don't think Farke will be feeling happy about his good friend.

(also worth noting that a certain Harrison Reed started for Fulham today)

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Burnley hopefully will get relegated

Brighton have been really unlucky in the past month or so dominating games but can’t finish. 

It is truly extraordinary but I can only assume it is someone else's fault. Leading contenders for whom 'justice' will be served would include the likes of 'Thatcher, the Tories, Westminster, London, Johnson, The Sun, Daily Mail, Express and all elements of the so called 'right wing' media' 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Rumours were always that Klopp was going this season to the German job with Gerrard coming in to replace him, looks like this has had a knock on effect! I really have no love for any top teams, Leicester are the exception!

It's a combination of factors, they're milking the missing centre backs for all their worth despite Van Dijk and Joe Gomez being the centre back pairing for their 7-2 loss at Villa.

They play high-intensity football under Klopp, with an aging team and a lack of depth in the squad. FSG didn't spend the money, or buy the right players when they were on top.

Really wouldn't be surprised to see Klopp leave.

15 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

It's a combination of factors, they're milking the missing centre backs for all their worth despite Van Dijk and Joe Gomez being the centre back pairing for their 7-2 loss at Villa.

They play high-intensity football under Klopp, with an aging team and a lack of depth in the squad. FSG didn't spend the money, or buy the right players when they were on top.

Really wouldn't be surprised to see Klopp leave.

Honestly feel that Klopp may have already accepted the German job offer and is right now going through the motions and this has had some kind of effect on the players

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

Rumours were always that Klopp was going this season to the German job with Gerrard coming in to replace him, looks like this has had a knock on effect! I really have no love for any top teams, Leicester are the exception!

Ah, right someone else who thinks this

Pretty much this

Very enjoyable to behold. 

The only issue I have is no competion for Man City this season. 

52 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't think Farke will be feeling happy about his good friend.

They hardy know each other. They weren't at Dortmund at the same time and only met for the first time at our match at Anfield last PL season.

54 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

It is truly extraordinary but I can only assume it is someone else's fault. Leading contenders for whom 'justice' will be served would include the likes of 'Thatcher, the Tories, Westminster, London, Johnson, The Sun, Daily Mail, Express and all elements of the so called 'right wing' media' 

No, I suspect it's taking the knee, remoaners, commies, public servants, the lefty BBC, Starmer, the welfare state, the EU, Marcus Rashford, and all elements of the "left wing" media, that are to blame.

• Like 2

Can people now see how hard we had it when we had a pile of centre-halves missing last season, with defensive midfielders helping out back there?

Manchester City struggled for ages with a similar problem last season too even with all their riches. No wonder we were in trouble from the start of it.

• Like 6

It’s not their fault. Everyone loves Liverpool and it’s fantastic fair minded supporters. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Haha 1

For anyone interested, I read this fascinating article before the start of the season which has been proved absolutely. It talks about how Liverpool have been 'caffeine doping' to perform at the intensity they have to win the titles they have done. And abuse of this, the morals of it, and fears for players was what led to the break up between Klopp and his trusted number 2.

http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

And another article here from December linking injuries to the caffeine doping. Not so much Van Dijk it could be argued but other muscle injuries.

https://peakd.com/hive-101690/@deniskj/coffee-the-reason-why-liverpool-have-many-injured-players#:~:text=Liverpool Players Cycling Off Caffeine&text=They cannot keep up the,even in young healthy athletes. 

This may not be news to some here but I thought was fascinating, and an insight to a dark underbelly of the game that many don't see or don't want to see. There was always something about Klopp that left me uneasy, and this confirmed my ill feeling.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WD40 said:

For anyone interested, I read this fascinating article before the start of the season which has been proved absolutely. It talks about how Liverpool have been 'caffeine doping' to perform at the intensity they have to win the titles they have done. And abuse of this, the morals of it, and fears for players was what led to the break up between Klopp and his trusted number 2.

http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

And another article here from December linking injuries to the caffeine doping. Not so much Van Dijk it could be argued but other muscle injuries.

https://peakd.com/hive-101690/@deniskj/coffee-the-reason-why-liverpool-have-many-injured-players#:~:text=Liverpool Players Cycling Off Caffeine&text=They cannot keep up the,even in young healthy athletes. 

This may not be news to some here but I thought was fascinating, and an insight to a dark underbelly of the game that many don't see or don't want to see. There was always something about Klopp that left me uneasy, and this confirmed my ill feeling.

Did he have this problem at Dortmund? Caffeine is a stimulant, however the article also says it can actually have an impact on the cardiovascular system - I remember reading somewhere that it can narrow the blood vessels around the heart and actually IMPAIR cardiovascular endurance as a result, which would be the polar opposite of what would be achieved with gegenpressing.

Incidentally, it's not much in terms of evidence, but I'm an experienced (but average) club distance runner, and every time I've tried a caffeine shot before a race, my performance has sucked. Tried a Revvie (a caffeinated strip) before a parkrun and pulled off my worst run on that course (23:17). Did the Bolton 5K the day after, thought I could struggle with fatigued legs, decided just to pop an isotonic drink away and ran 22:05 on a course of fairly similar difficulty.

My completely unfounded suspicion, as I am no doctor or sports scientist, is that it may be more to do with hydration levels as caffeine can have diuretic properties. There was a very interesting titbit in the Bolton News recently where Ian Evatt, the young Bolton manager, said his coaching team monitor hydration levels of players before letting them train and it seems to be cutting down the injuries suffered.

22 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Interesting @wd but he’s a Russian based journalist (which makes me suspicious), the 2nd article is just cross referencing the first one. I’d be interested to see if this is supported by any other evidence.

I think they have a very good first team but not backed up by the rest of the squad. Hence an injury to their better players andthey are weakened.

• Like 2

I think caffeine can effect Liverpools results, especially if the VAR officials don't get enough and nod off, before giving the reds their unfair share of VAR decisions, like last season!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think they have a very good first team but not backed up by the rest of the squad. Hence an injury to their better players andthey are weakened.

I think that is shown by their unwillingness to pay top prices for players too, ie Lewis. 

Thus resulting is a below level bench. 

Edited by Greavsy

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Did he have this problem at Dortmund? Caffeine is a stimulant, however the article also says it can actually have an impact on the cardiovascular system - I remember reading somewhere that it can narrow the blood vessels around the heart and actually IMPAIR cardiovascular endurance as a result, which would be the polar opposite of what would be achieved with gegenpressing.

Incidentally, it's not much in terms of evidence, but I'm an experienced (but average) club distance runner, and every time I've tried a caffeine shot before a race, my performance has sucked. Tried a Revvie (a caffeinated strip) before a parkrun and pulled off my worst run on that course (23:17). Did the Bolton 5K the day after, thought I could struggle with fatigued legs, decided just to pop an isotonic drink away and ran 22:05 on a course of fairly similar difficulty.

My completely unfounded suspicion, as I am no doctor or sports scientist, is that it may be more to do with hydration levels as caffeine can have diuretic properties. There was a very interesting titbit in the Bolton News recently where Ian Evatt, the young Bolton manager, said his coaching team monitor hydration levels of players before letting them train and it seems to be cutting down the injuries suffered.

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Interesting @wd but he’s a Russian based journalist (which makes me suspicious), the 2nd article is just cross referencing the first one. I’d be interested to see if this is supported by any other evidence.

The article also mentions Leicester City and their connections to a doctor that has a history of using these techniques. You may remember that Jamie Vardy made headlines where his match day routines involved a lot of red bull and espresso’s. At the time I didn’t think to much to it, bit of a laugh, but the article ties these two things in.

There was a FourFourTwo article around the time which talked about this and the positive impacts caffeine could have:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/performance/nutrition/science-behind-jamie-vardys-diet

Now this doesn’t necessarily prove the link to Liverpool and this year ‘cycling off’, but is an interesting reference point as to ‘why’. 

I think it's also fair to just highlight what a great job  Scott Parker is doing.

Like most, I think, I had written them off with Sheff utd at the start of the year but they have given themselves a good chance now.

I said on another thread if they go down Harrison Reed could be a good option to replace Skipp, he's looked really good every time I see him

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WD40 said:

The article also mentions Leicester City and their connections to a doctor that has a history of using these techniques. You may remember that Jamie Vardy made headlines where his match day routines involved a lot of red bull and espresso’s. At the time I didn’t think to much to it, bit of a laugh, but the article ties these two things in.

There was a FourFourTwo article around the time which talked about this and the positive impacts caffeine could have:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/performance/nutrition/science-behind-jamie-vardys-diet

Now this doesn’t necessarily prove the link to Liverpool and this year ‘cycling off’, but is an interesting reference point as to ‘why’. 

Sure, but again, your links show that caffeine can be both an aid and a hindrance to cardiovascular capacity. That's why I'd be interested in seeing if he had similar high levels of injuries at Dortmund and if he used a similar method.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Yes interesting but it draws a lot from Jamie Vardy saying he drinks red bull etc - not exactly a scientific analysis.

22 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sure, but again, your links show that caffeine can be both an aid and a hindrance to cardiovascular capacity. That's why I'd be interested in seeing if he had similar high levels of injuries at Dortmund and if he used a similar method.

Right - used in the ‘right’ way, managed properly, it’s an aid.

I don’t see whether this happened at Dortmund or not as that relevant. Maybe it’s not his idea originally and was presented with an option to use it at Liverpool? Maybe he wanted to at Dortmund, but club wouldn’t let him? Or maybe he did do it and the injuries weren’t so bad.

Dortmund had two great seasons under Klopp, and then in 13/14 finished 25 points behind Bayern...so yeah maybe they did.

9 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes interesting but it draws a lot from Jamie Vardy saying he drinks red bull etc - not exactly a scientific analysis.

Fairly well known that Vardy routinely overdoses on caffeine, and goes on to provide some scientific basis for that, but that’s an example of 1 guy - it might just work for him. I have no inside information so can’t provide anything else.

May be 2+2=5 though. 

• Like 1