On 07/03/2021 at 11:59, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly a part of me wonders if Jamal would be a better winger than defender

I wouldn't think so, he doesn't seem to have the attacking mindset required to plow forward like a winger, he's much more comfortable turning back or coming inside for help. He had his moments though

I think that ever since that mistake against Stoke (and even before that to be fiar) he's looked very good. Technically decent, a good passer and gets forward into dangerous areas.

Sorensen did well but Gianoulis on that flank has given the side a balance we lacked without a natural left footer. We don't have to come back and inside every time and have a genuine threat on both flanks now. 

The only thing I would say he needs to work on is his throw in technique. 

Looks to me like a foul throw almost every time he takes one!

The difference between Lewis and Giannoulis is this: Lewis is a tremendous athlete with decent technique, whereas Giannoulis has excellent technique whilst also being very athletic.

16 minutes ago, Pigs in Space said:

The only thing I would say he needs to work on is his throw in technique. 

Looks to me like a foul throw almost every time he takes one!

There have been a fair few foul throws in our recent games, not just by our players but by the opposition as well. Surely pro players should not be making such basic errors.

An encouraging start for Giannoulis but people seem to be comparing him with the Lewis that played in the Premier League. I didn't hear too many complaints during the 2018/19 season.

Giannoulis was bought in as a potential LB for next season, let's make an informed judgement of him then. 

As I said an encouraging start and seems capable of playing at a higher level.

On 07/03/2021 at 12:03, lake district canary said:

To me the comparison should not be with Jamal, but with Sorensen,  who was growing into an excellent left back by the time Giannoulis arrived.  Makeshift/stand in, call him what you like, but he was simply excellent in the left back role.   So comparing Sorensen and Giannoulis, I would say they are about the same and would have been quite happy if Sorenesen had kept the left back position for the rest of the season.   Giannoulis has arrived and is very good, but Sorensen was superb too. Bodes well for next season!

I think sorenson grew int he role and has the makings of being an excellent, intelligent footballer but Giannoulis gives us more of a natural balance and a threat on the outside that Sorenson didn’t. That is not a sleight on Sorenson more just a pointer to the extra 5% Giannoulis brings to our attacking play. They both look excellent signings to me