Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

5 clean sheets in the last 6 matches

Amazing just how good our defence has been this season compared to our last promotion season two seasons ago. Back then we pretty much had to out score the oppisiton, hardly any cleen sheets around.

Just how good have we been with the Gibson and Hanley partnership backed by Skipp?

Defence has been better by a long way this time around, we’d have to go some from here to get remotely close to the 56 we let in two seasons ago.   Gibson and Hanley have been a good partnership and the shield, Skipp in particular, has been immense.  It has possibly made games a bit less exciting as there’s not been the need to score endless injury-time winners, but I’ll happily stick with that!  

Finding a replacement for young Skipp, or persuading Spuds to let us have him again, could be a big help to us having a chance of staying up next season should we get there.

We now have the best Goal Difference in the league and only one goal more conceded from having the joint best Goals Against too.

Yet only 6 weeks ago some on here were saying we had barely improved and this team wasn't a patch on the one from two years ago.

I’ve been banging on about our defence never being the issue but those in the midfield not doing their jobs, now we have a solid core in Skipp it shows how vital that position is, not only for us but other top teams take Liverpool, big loss in Van **** but not having Fabinho in that holding position has cost them too.

Hopefully Sorensen might make that step into the Skipp position, very good player who looks so elegant on the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I’ve been banging on about our defence never being the issue but those in the midfield not doing their jobs, now we have a solid core in Skipp it shows how vital that position is, not only for us but other top teams take Liverpool, big loss in Van **** but not having Fabinho in that holding position has cost them too.

Hopefully Sorensen might make that step into the Skipp position, very good player who looks so elegant on the ball.

Absolutely this. Not just in the middle of the park, but the way the wide roles have developed and the cover provided by the CDMs. I don't think it's just personnel (although I think Skipp is a massive improvement over previous incumbents), but also a significant tactical shift as well as a general improvement in discipline and positioning.

But let's also not underplay the improvement from Hanley, having finally had a decent run of fitness, and the way in which Gibson has fitted into our system so well.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Defence has been better by a long way this time around, we’d have to go some from here to get remotely close to the 56 we let in two seasons ago.   Gibson and Hanley have been a good partnership and the shield, Skipp in particular, has been immense.  It has possibly made games a bit less exciting as there’s not been the need to score endless injury-time winners, but I’ll happily stick with that!  

Finding a replacement for young Skipp, or persuading Spuds to let us have him again, could be a big help to us having a chance of staying up next season should we get there.

I think we should all appreciate that Carrow Road was full in 2018/19. It would've been a crying shame for no one to have been there to celebrate those comebacks live.

6 hours ago, Indy said:

Sorensen seems to be given more time off the bench recently. You do wonder if that is preparation for next season.

6 hours ago, Petriix said:

Absolutely this. Not just in the middle of the park, but the way the wide roles have developed and the cover provided by the CDMs. I don't think it's just personnel (although I think Skipp is a massive improvement over previous incumbents), but also a significant tactical shift as well as a general improvement in discipline and positioning.

But let's also not underplay the improvement from Hanley, having finally had a decent run of fitness, and the way in which Gibson has fitted into our system so well.

Agreed. Fake has been on record saying that those with the better defences have a better chance of survival in the PL. As much as I love Godfrey and Lewis, Gibson and Giannoulis give us that bit more experience. 

Getting Skipp next year would be huge.

• Like 1

It’s quite clear that there has been a massive focus on developing our style of play so that it is more sustainable for next season, Farke et al have learned from last year and adapted so that we are more prepared for the PL as we will need to be so much tighter at the back. Hanley being fit for a sustained period has been a big factor too, he is some defender when he isn’t finding his way back from injury. 

As for Skipp, I reckon it’s 50/50 whether he will return but I can’t help thinking it would suit all parties. Massive hole to fill if he doesn’t. 

• Like 1

Sorensen looks very, very classy on the ball and showed he can be solid defensively but Skipp is different gravy at reading the game and winning the ball back. He has a real knack for picking an attackers pocket. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hogesar said:

We now have the best Goal Difference in the league and only one goal more conceded from having the joint best Goals Against too.

Yet only 6 weeks ago some on here were saying we had barely improved and this team wasn't a patch on the one from two years ago.

And back at the beginning of this season we were being told that 'Farke hasn't got a clue how to organise a defence'. 🙂 

• Like 2

Gibson has been a fantastic addition, class defender that has made all the difference. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hogesar said:

We have beaten sides by more than one goal eight times this season, and five of those have come in the last seven matches.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

We have beaten sides by more than one goal eight times this season, and five of those have come in the last seven matches.

We are getting better week on week.

21 hours ago, hogesar said:

Was any really saying that? I remember some people, myself included, saying it was a close run thing but the 2018/19 team just edged it, and based solely on the first 28 games of this season compared to the entirety of 2018/19 it was the more legitimate conclusion to reach. They smashed them on goals per game (2.02 v  1.25) and beat them on points per game (2.04 v 1.96).

I haven't checked what it is now after 35 games, but suspect this season would now win the points per game, and closed the gap on the goals per game to the extent that when married with the undoubted extra quality in defence that this season's team are now ahead of 18/19.

But seven games, 21 points and 16 goals has understandably changed opinions.

6 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Was any really saying that? I remember some people, myself included, saying it was a close run thing but the 2018/19 team just edged it, and based solely on the first 28 games of this season compared to the entirety of 2018/19 it was the more legitimate conclusion to reach. They smashed them on goals per game (2.02 v  1.25) and beat them on points per game (2.04 v 1.96).

I haven't checked what it is now after 35 games, but suspect this season would now win the points per game, and closed the gap on the goals per game to the extent that when married with the undoubted extra quality in defence that this season's team are now ahead of 18/19.

But seven games, 21 points and 16 goals has understandably changed opinions.

Yeah, several. Not you, as described above.

Skipp alone has been fantastic business, and deserves all the plaudits he is getting. But how good was signing Gibson?! He's been a monster at the back!

18 minutes ago, AJ said:

Skipp alone has been fantastic business, and deserves all the plaudits he is getting. But how good was signing Gibson?! He's been a monster at the back!

Will only cost us 6 million should we go up too, which for an English, still somewhat young, former international team player is a hell of a bargin

• Like 1

Last 7 games the much vaunted Swansea defence conceded 9 goals and have conceded 24 in total.  City conceded 1 in last 7 and have conceded 25.  Swansea have started to become leaky and have two games before we play Sheff Wed to tighten up to keep the best defensive record.  These stats are a fair reason to conclude Swans are of little threat and have coming up a resurgent Cardiff who will rejoice in downing the Swans as will we.

Apart from conceding 3 to Luton and 2 to Preston, Stoke City and Swasea have not conceded more than a single goal to the rest including Brentford, Watford, Bournemouth or Reading.  

36 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Persons!   We'll need more than one.  

I'm afraid so, and probably both on the pitch at the same time.

If promoted it will be interesting to see if our defence and DMs can deal with the high press of Premier League teams. They have been very good this season but it will be a whole new ball game next.

Signing Skipp and Gibson will be a step in the right direction but we'll need a couple more at least.

30 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm afraid so, and probably both on the pitch at the same time.

If promoted it will be interesting to see if our defence and DMs can deal with the high press of Premier League teams. They have been very good this season but it will be a whole new ball game next.

Signing Skipp and Gibson will be a step in the right direction but we'll need a couple more at least.

Seems to me the high press in the EPL is more sophisticated!   Problem last time is that our central midfield didn't have the ability to receive under pressure, turn and play through and we became too predictable.    Apart from that they didn't protect our young defence either.    Without the energy, pace and power needed (Kenny was found out) so we need three new CDM's at least.... Whether Sorensen is one of those is still in question as we just don't know what he's capable of!    

We keep getting these little indicators that Stuart and Daniel have awareness of the failings last time and are addressing them so be interesting summer ahead, see what they do. 

This thread argument has changed to discuss whether we have a better team for next season.   Not without Buendia, Aarons and Skipp we don't!    If Buendia leaves, we have major work to do.   We don't have back up at RB (we are likely to have no one in that position come the summer).... Mumba can't be expected to come into the EPL with literally no experience at all.....  LB with Giannoulis and McCallum seems good, at CB, Zimmermann needs to be at least 4th choice and Famewo may just step up if he can sort the injuries....CDM could do with 3 adequate options with power, pace, energy and ability.... at the minute we have no one that fits this profile assuming Skipp doesn't come back. Sorensen, will no doubt be a good squad player.    Going forward, Cantwell, Buendia and Pukki are our only proven options and we can't rely on them all of the time and whats left to come in.    Will Dowell, Platcheta, Hernandez, Martin and Idah be good enough and ready?    There remains many doubts.  Apart from Rupp, McLean, Zimmermann being squad players, don't see much else in the squad that could step up.     Thus we need at least one quality striker and another forward player..... thats without losing Buendia and Cantwell (hoping the club are able to sort a contract).  

Expect the club will find a way and despite needing quite a few additions, they deserve our trust!    Just hoping we can keep Emi.