Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

Top Four English Managers

I often listen to the Talk Sport breakfast show on Fridays when the old red faced Brazil is back in the chair if only to chuckle at the wind ups he reminisces about with his Jock mate McCoist. Anyway, a couple of days ago they were waxing lyrical about all things Jock (not just football) and came up with their list of the top four Jock managers. Think we can pretty much guess who they put forward..................................

Ferguson, Jock Stein, Matt Busby and of course the unforgettable Bill Shankly. Say what you like but that is an awesome quartet. All absolute legends and giants within the game.     

That left YR thinking what his top four ENGLISH managers might be. Lets start from 1945 shall we to make it a  bit easier. Somewhat unfortunately but without any doubt, TWO have strong ITFC connections. I have another three................Bill Nicholson, Don Revie and Brian Clough so I need to cut one from the list. Of course others merit inclusion - Joe Mercer, Ron Greenwood, Harry Catterick and (comparatively more 'recently') a decent case could be put forward for Terry Venables).  

I'll go for Ramsey, Robson, Clough and Nicholson.

And your choices are????????????????

7 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

I often listen to the Talk Sport breakfast show on Fridays when the old red faced Brazil is back in the chair if only to chuckle at the wind ups he reminisces about with his Jock mate McCoist. Anyway, a couple of days ago they were waxing lyrical about all things Jock (not just football) and came up with their list of the top four Jock managers. Think we can pretty much guess who they put forward..................................

Ferguson, Jock Stein, Matt Busby and of course the unforgettable Bill Shankly. Say what you like but that is an awesome quartet. All absolute legends and giants within the game.     

That left YR thinking what his top four ENGLISH managers might be. Lets start from 1945 shall we to make it a  bit easier. Somewhat unfortunately but without any doubt, TWO have strong ITFC connections. I have another three................Bill Nicholson, Don Revie and Brian Clough so I need to cut one from the list. Of course others merit inclusion - Joe Mercer, Ron Greenwood, Harry Catterick and (comparatively more 'recently') a decent case could be put forward for Terry Venables).  

Isn't Gordon Ramsay Scottish?

Warnock, Chapman (won three successive 1st division titles, with two different clubs), Clough, Paisley

20 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

No room on your list for Bob Paisley? 

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No room on your list for Bob Paisley? 

Should of been. I thought about him recently but then forgot whilst writing the post! I'd still stick with my four though.