What are your ambitions for Norwich?

Just because we hear a lot about where we are in the game, but realistically, what kind of a club do people want us to be?

I never could see the joy of supporting Man Utd when I was young, just seemed dull, none of the highs and lows of sport. So as much as I would love to win every game on the day, I can't imagine a world where we suddenly somehow had a super rich owner who propelled us to being a Man City-esque club and feeling happy with that.

Assuming that Leicester's win was a fluke, for me I would love us to be a consistently good premiership side, with a genuine shot in the cups. The kind of club that even the best in the country don't fancy a trip to. In terms of trophies, I would love us to win the FA cup and be back in Europe again.

For me that would satisfy my ambition for Norwich whilst also keeping some kind of sense of community.

To become a solid, well established midtable Prem club who go on fun cup runs from time to time. Not that exciting I know, but I see no reason that we can't aim for that to be our goal within the next five years/seasons

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 2

Pretty much where I am. I must admit though, I hated the football but never begudged Stoke under Pulis because I always liked how they worried my friends who supported bigger sides. I felt the same about Alardyce's Bolton, though they had a lot more about them so maybe the comparison is unfair. Would love us to have the same effect one day where people look at us as potential points lost each season.

Edited by 1902

A top 26 club when Webber and Farke have left the club.  An established PL club is a nice dream to have but it is fantasy to believe it could really happen under the current regime.  A wealthy benefactor prepared to lose millions that will allow the club to continue to be as well run as it always has been would be preferable and necessary to become that established side.  Unfortunately I don't see us getting the investment we crave. 

Top four with an FA cup win within two years! Champions League group stage and league title by five years. I’ve seen some people say it’s doable on footy manager so why isn’t it in real life?

• Haha 1

I'm not too fussed about the 'established' Premier league side which I think is a pipe dream for anyone outside 8-10 clubs in the country.

However id love a couple seasons where we have good enough players to mount a serious threat in a cup competition during a year where we are comfortably far enough away from relegation to throw everything at one of the cups. Even that feels a big ask.

My ambition is always to win the next game.

But in all honesty if I carry on enjoying the ride as much as I have over the last 54 seasons I will be more than happy whatever happens the next game.

• Like 1

I'm with Nutty, I just enjoy what happens next. I'd love us to become established premier league club that can slowly build to challenge at the top, like Spam and Everton are at the moment, but as long as we get entertaining football, I'll be happy

Just want us to continue what we are doing, slowly but surely  getting stronger  across the Club. 

Although  nothing in life is guaranteed, we have hit upon a formula  that for now , seems to be working, built on solid foundations. 

Long may it continue. 

Onwards and upwards......while acknowledging that there will be setbacks  along the way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

My ambition is always to win the next game.

But in all honesty if I carry on enjoying the ride as much as I have over the last 54 seasons I will be more than happy whatever happens the next game.

Spot on.

Over the long term, for a club like ours, good times and bad times usually alternate in a fairly equal proportions. There have been decades where little of note happens but the last couple of decades have been packed with seasons that had either a promotion or relegation resting upon them. What more can you really ask for than that the team you support is involved in meaningful games a whatever end of the table. I doubt we will ever be on a par with the big boys purely because of the financial realities but if we can remain reasonably solvent I am more than happy to embrace the "Yoyo".

We're never going to win the Premier League (or not without some serious financial investment), so I'm more than happy for us to bounce between the divisions because it is quite enjoyable.  That being said, I'd like us to have a decent run in the PL during the 20s, 5 or 6 seasons in a row would be great, and enable us to have a serious go at winning a cup - at least a couple of finals. 

The year we really messed up recently was the season where Villa knocked us out in the Quarters of the League Cup, we'd have beaten Bradford in the Semis, and then faced Swansea in the final - a team we had a real hoodoo over at the time.

So yes a decent run in the PL with some exciting cup runs, but I'm never expecting us to establish ourselves in the PL as others have said it's pretty much next to impossible and you'll always be in some sort of relegation battle even if you do survive for a few years.

• Like 2

It's really weird because I always want to win the FA Cup but when it comes round there always seems to be a lot of posters in favour of resting players...

• Like 2

A decent cup run to a final appearance or two. A stay in the PL and a shot at European football again, in that order.

There is no reason we as a club can not be serious and get to a final (we tend to do well in one off pressure matches and play off games) and there have been a few years recently where we could have gone further, including last season where we faced Man united. I believe with a crowd we would have won that match.

However, like every other team in the bottom half of the PL, survival is always the most important aspect. With that issue a cup final apperance is less likely to hapen, unfortunately.

Yoyo-ing is exciting and entertaining but is an outcome rather than an ambition.

No harm in having an ambition to be an established PL club. I'm confident we will do better than the 2 other clubs promoted, plus one other already there to secure survival next season. From then on we just need to be better than the 3 who come up the following year.

If we believe our own hype from this season and continue the massive improvement, with the right sensible investment it can be achievable.

31 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's really weird because I always want to win the FA Cup but when it comes round there always seems to be a lot of posters in favour of resting players...

I’m with you there, I still think it should be a top competition and a champions league place given to the winners to take it back to the level where it should be.

Edited by Indy

First ambition get to the Premier league

Second ambition stay there 

Can't think beyond that at the moment because those two things are hard enough to achieve

• Like 2

Go up . And stay up. 
To stay up you need to win 12 games or thereabouts and draw a few . You play 19 home games . Win 10 of those , nick a couple away and get a few draws. 

I always think out first year up under Scumbert was perfect as we did well at home and beat some of the lower sides away. We basically won the games we had to , to stay up. Then when we played the bigger clubs they were almost free hits. 

We have to win the 6 pointers . 

It sounds easy doesn’t it ? 

Immediate:    Not be a 'one season wonder.'

Yesterday:  Re-build that Main Stand so that we don't look like a 'one season wonder.'

Next year or two: Win a cup.

• Like 1

In my lifetime I just want to see us either finish top 4 in the PL, win the FA cup or Europa League. I feel like our current strategy of finishing top 26 every year and outlasting our competitors would be much more palatable if we'd have won something before. It's the only blot on our record as a club and I've never seen us win anything having been born in 1992. The League Cup is a joke now but I'd be over the moon if we won it again, if we won a major trophy however or qualified for the CL well.. I honestly can't even imagine that level of joy

To see Norwich win the FA Cup with my two sons .... another taste of European football ......... rebuild that bloody stupid main stand and let’s get 30,000 + in Carrow Road on a regular basis ......

But in all seriousness , what really gives me joy on a day to basis , is for Norwich City Football Club to carry on being the undisputed PRIDE OF ANGLIA .

💛💚 OTBC .

• Like 1

I with the win the next game and see what happens brigade. Once upon a time we were good enough to mix it with the well established teams. Nine consecutive seasons in the 80/90s. And three times in the top 5.

I don't hold out hope for that anymore but to me it is now unimportant. We have been there and sat at the top table.

Now as long as we play every week, play good football and have a measure of success now and again, the top 26 will do me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

To be Brentford. 

To not be like the “history boys”, AKA 1p5wich  😉

• Like 1

Have a good few seasons in the Premier League, watching good attractive football with exciting talented players.

Expand Carrow Road.

Win the FA Cup and League Cup.

Challenge in Europe.

But most of all, I'd love it if Webber and Farke were still here in say, 5 years.

I'd just want to see us play in Europe one more time in my lifetime. Those months from September - December in '93 and travelling to all 3 away European matches were the best in my supporting time.

I remember thinking (hoping) at the time that this was going to be a regular occurance...sadly ,28 yrs on , I'm now accepting the realisation that it was a once in a lifetime experience

If there's one cup I want us to win it's the FA Cup. I don't care about top level titles, it's not going to happen anymore. But we've come agonisingly close to FA Cup finals before and would love us to win it but last season apart, we've done nothing in the competition for so long.

Would be nice to see us have some more games in Europe eventually too. Let's not forget that we would have had potentially many more European games under our belt as a club if it wasn't for the ban in the late 80s. Quite annoying really because who knows where we'd have gone as a club if we'd done well in Europe back then.

My only ambition is that we carry on trying to do things the right way: playing good football, bringing young players and undiscovered talent into the team, keeping wages affordable and the finances sustainable. Most of all that we continue to defy the trend that mony is everything.

We are surely one of the most successful clubs in terms of results vs money spent. And it's exciting!

To have an identity, playing good technical football, and bringing through young players.

Results wise, everything is cyclical, so I'm more interested in being entertained and engaged as I appreciate the near impossibility of challenging the better financed clubs.

Edited by kirku

To carry on with Farke at the helm, gradually increasing the levels and starting to match the top sides in the PL who are playing a similar way to us - ie Man City and Liverpool - and becoming a force to be reckoned with that will challenge at the very top of the table. Can't be done?  Never say never.