CANARYKING

Cantwell for Hernandez or Vrancic?

I'm pretty sure it will be Cantwell for Hernandez. Onel has worked hard but nowhere near good enough to keep Todd out the side.

Farke likes Mario, keeps us ticking over better. 

• Thanks 1

I don't see why you wouldn't start the winning side again, they've just beaten the second best team in the league. 

As is, Cantwell on the bench with the last 20/30 to stake a claim for his spot unless we need to bring him on sooner

Considering Cantwell’s only just come back I would start him on the bench and keep the same starting XI that beat Brentford. If not, swap him for Vrancic

Todd Hasnt been out long enough  to lose sharpness , so I'd put him straight  back in for Argos......nice lad , quick and strong but nowhere near the footballer  Todd is....or Mario for that matter. For me its ability  and footy brain over pace and power. 

Argos on for a run out after 65/ 70 mins, wouldn't want to wreck Todd.......earlier if the game is  won.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would not mind seeing Cantwell at the number 9 spot- Worth a try right? Then you can have Hernandez on the left and Emi on the right.

Pukki in goal as suggested  a couple of weeks ago?...made great saves apparently. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would not mind seeing Cantwell at the number 9 spot- Worth a try right? Then you can have Hernandez on the left and Emi on the right.

Number 9?

I can see that going down a storm with Hugill and Idah!

It really depends how fit Cantwell is. I'd imagine it will be the same team with Cantwell on the bench, probably coming on for 20 minutes or so. Squad management is really important at this stage of the season so it would be senseless to rush him back. Onel has performed ok, he just missed a couple of chances - no worse than Pukki's misses.

• Like 1

I know Onel has had a long layoff but he’s also not shown with the minutes he’s been given that he can keep up with us at this level, let alone the level we need to step up to. With the injuries this year and last I’d be looking to give more time to the other options we have, and look for a buyer in the summer. Apologies to Argos fans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Pukki in goal as suggested  a couple of weeks ago?...made great saves apparently. 

We should start a fan club for that commentator😂

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm pretty sure it will be Cantwell for Hernandez. Onel has worked hard but nowhere near good enough to keep Todd out the side.

Farke likes Mario, keeps us ticking over better. 

Do you not think Todd can take his role? Going to need him should mario not sign up post summer

If he's fit enough then he starts for me, in place of Onel. I imagine though it's more likely we'll see him from the bench.

I don't want to sound like a broken record because I've said it a few times in recent weeks, but I think Mario is quietly doing a really good job for the team. He will need to be upgraded if/when we go up, but at the moment I don't see any reason to mess with the status quo. 

Onel has done fine in the two games he's played. If he had more of a run he might build on those performances. But Todd was fantastic in the few games before he got injured, and that pre-injury form earns him a place ahead of Hernandez if he's fit enough.

• Like 1

I've not been impressed by Vrancic at 10, so I'd put Todd in there.

Also appreciate I may well be missing something because Farke keeps sticking with him and we keep winning..

22 minutes ago, kirku said:

I've not been impressed by Vrancic at 10, so I'd put Todd in there.

Also appreciate I may well be missing something because Farke keeps sticking with him and we keep winning..

Vrancic hasn't been spectacular, but he has been doing a solid job. Still quite high on the assists table this season too. Also his free kick last match shows he still has something to offer at set pieces too.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Vrancic hasn't been spectacular, but he has been doing a solid job. Still quite high on the assists table this season too. Also his free kick last match shows he still has something to offer at set pieces too.

He's been OK, but really should've scored more goals than he has. 1 goal from open play, 1 penalty, and 1 free kick is not a great return.

Indeed, he's only scored 4 free kicks for us in his whole time here. Perhaps the Sheff Weds one distorts opinion..

9 minutes ago, kirku said:

Indeed, he's only scored 4 free kicks for us in his whole time here. Perhaps the Sheff Weds one distorts opinion..

How many has he taken? Genuine question as I have no idea.

Sheff Wed was a fantastic moment and doesn’t distort my opinion at all, his free kicks are more often than not (I think) on target and either takes the wall to block or a great save for it not to be a goal. The best free kick taker I’ve seen in a city shirt.

A free kick with Mario on the pitch brings excitement, and a genuine expectation of a goal.

Give Onel another run out. He needs it and we need him back to his best.

Then again, I'm one of those in the 'Vrancic for supersub' camp.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

How many has he taken? Genuine question as I have no idea.

Sheff Wed was a fantastic moment and doesn’t distort my opinion at all, his free kicks are more often than not (I think) on target and either takes the wall to block or a great save for it not to be a goal. The best free kick taker I’ve seen in a city shirt.

A free kick with Mario on the pitch brings excitement, and a genuine expectation of a goal.

I don't think there are stats on how many FKs he's taken. It won't be that many because he's not exactly been a regular starter. Seems to me that Farke was hoping Dowell and Stipi would play a bigger role than they have this year.

He's scored less than 1 FK a year since being here, so while we all hope he scores, I'm not sure there's evidence for a "genuine expectation of a goal". Having said that, I can't readily think of a better recent free kick taker for us.

Is his output from FKs worthy of selection? Probably not. 

Vrancic has neither the speed or stamina to play Sat / Wed / Sat / Wed.

I thought he looked knackered after ten minutes against Brentford.

Better to bring him on after 60 minutes when the opposition are tiring. He is clearly not an ‘80minutes’ player.

His shooting has been woeful, but some of his passing has been exquisite. His minutes just need managing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Do you not think Todd can take his role? Going to need him should mario not sign up post summer

Personally yes I think he can, but my response is what appears to be Farke's perspective. If I'm honest Vrancic has been a bit fortunate to keep his place, but that may say more about other players in the squad.

7 minutes ago, unique said:

Vrancic has neither the speed or stamina to play Sat / Wed / Sat / Wed.

I thought he looked knackered after ten minutes against Brentford.

Better to bring him on after 60 minutes when the opposition are tiring. He is clearly not an ‘80minutes’ player.

His shooting has been woeful, but some of his passing has been exquisite. His minutes just need managing.

Honestly not mind seeing Tettey get a start against Luton besides Skipp- Knowing how much of a tough, dirty 'kick you beacause we can't play football' team that Luton are we might need some extra strength in the middle

Last season in the PL: “why isn’t Vrancic starting? Farke obviously hates him, he doesn’t know what he’s doing”

This season in the championship: “why is Vrancic starting all the time? He should be a supersub, his legs have gone”

😂

This is all in jest, I just find it amusing that Vrancic is the definition of a player who’s brilliant when he’s not in the team. 

Edited by Fiery Zac

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I meant number 10 😉

So are you actually 9 and a half rather  than being 'nearly 10' then? Numbers are very confusing arent they? Seems like big difference  at your age , I know. 

😇

Edited by wcorkcanary